You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: GNR Annual Song Royalties

Olorin wrote:

There's been a lot of talk about Gerry Rafferty on my local radio stations last night and today. One thing I found interesting was that he gave an interview a short while ago and he revealled that once a year he gets a cheque popping through his letterbox for around £80,000, and that is his royalties from just one song, Baker Street (about $125,000)

GNR have got to still be raking it in from their royalties and also annual album sales etc on top surely?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I would have no idea of the exact values, but let's just say I wish i was a songwriter on PC, SCOM, WTTJ, or NR etc. Everytime those songs get played anywhere by anyone you get a cut.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I would have no idea of the exact values, but let's just say I wish i was a songwriter on PC, SCOM, WTTJ, or NR etc. Everytime those songs get played anywhere by anyone you get a cut.

Must be nice to have two sports anthems. PC and WTTJ seem to get played multiple times at every sporting event. 16

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

WTTJ just got played during the Blackhawks game. More $$$ rolling in.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Everytime those songs get played anywhere by anyone you get a cut.

How does this work exactly? Axl cant monitor every TV channel and radio station worldwide. Do radio station owners pay the record label, and they then work out the exact royalties per band member or something? That would mean a radio station needs to keep tabs on every song they play 24/7 which seems like a ridiculous amount of admin and paperwork hmm

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Axl licensed his share out for 20 years for that $20mil a few years ago...

I'm sure Slash, Duff & Izzy probably pull in some dough. Uni gets Axl's part.

So going on Axl's deal, apparently his share was not lucrative enough that he didn't feel $1 million a year for it for 20 years, was not the better deal.

So whatever they make, i'd assume it's less than a $1mil a year. However, for a band who hasn't cut any fresh tunes in over 20 years, to pull in even HALF of that a year for doing absolutely nothing?!?!?! Shit, I could live comfortably for the rest of my life on that - REAL comfortable! 11

downliner wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Everytime those songs get played anywhere by anyone you get a cut.

How does this work exactly? Axl cant monitor every TV channel and radio station worldwide. Do radio station owners pay the record label, and they then work out the exact royalties per band member or something? That would mean a radio station needs to keep tabs on every song they play 24/7 which seems like a ridiculous amount of admin and paperwork hmm

They probably work out a license for someone's music for a particular period of time. Once that license runs out, they re-negotiate or walk. That's how syndicated TV works for reruns.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:

The entire recordstore-chain I worked for some years ago was almost dragged to court by an organization here in Norway called Tono. They wanted us to pay for playing music in the stores. We thought us playing music in the stores should be considered adds/commercials for the artists/bands. They thought otherwise!

Eventually we had to pay up. The amount was based on the the size of the stores.

Seemed like they viewed stores playing music as us "performing/broadcasting music".

There were a few smaller radio-stations who refused to pay. I guess they viewed the situation similar to us. In the end, they had to close down. Could partially be the reason for the rise of the "dummed-down-commerial-radio"-situation we have today, playing only the safe mainstream hits...

I even heard rumors that Tono had people randomly checking all kinds of stores, not just recordstores. "Oh, I hear you're playing music of our artists to your customers. Do you have a permission to do so?"

The rules are prolly a bit different from country to country. But either way, I can imagine GNR biggest hits must be bringing in some insane big money!
smile

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

That store should've been able to turn around and sue Tono for lost sales revenue.

That's friggin' stupid man, good that you got to keep your job, but still - jeez.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

Every country has a music rights organisation that collects your mechanical royalties (i.e. your tunes played in pubs, clubs, radio stations etc).
They get a cut for their efforts. There is serious money in this. I'd say the lads are still creaming it in. I read somewhere that Adler is still a millionaire from Appetite royalties.
What a great life.

huntermc
 Rep: 12 

huntermc wrote:

Restaurants, bars, clubs, stadiums, radio stations, etc. all have to pay annual licensing fees to BMI and ASCAP for the rights to play music by artists that are represented under their publishing agreements. I'm not sure exactly how they break it out (like if they have to keep track of their playlists) but yes, there are copyright cops who go out and bust places that don't pay their licenses.

Board footer