You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

Re: SLASH Says we should be making an announcement sometime in January

jamester wrote:

SLASH Says VELVET REVOLVER Has 'Moved Leaps And Bounds' In Singer Search - Jan. 5, 2011
Rick Florino of ARTISTdirect.com last month conducted an interview with legendary guitarist Slash (VELVET REVOLVER, GUNS N' ROSES). You can now watch the chat below.

Regarding VELVET REVOLVER's search for a new vocalist to finally replace singer Scott Weiland — more than two years after the band fired the STONE TEMPLE PILOTS frontman over his erratic behavior — Slash said, "We've actually moved leaps and bounds in the last month. So we should be making an announcement one way or another [sometime in January]. So it's gonna be interesting going into the third record because we're gonna have a whole different personality as a vocalist. Chances are it's gonna be a lot heavier than anything VELVET REVOLVER has done so far. 'Cause that was the only thing missing for me — the sort or heaviness of it — in the first two VELVET REVOLVER records."

VELVET REVOLVER drummer Matt Sorum recently told The Pulse Of Radio that after several more auditions the group has finally zeroed in on a possible new singer. "We got somebody that we're really liking a lot," he said. "We can't make the announcement yet because we're 'dating,' you know. We haven't consummated the relationship, we haven't sat down this gentleman and made the agreement together, but we're very excited and I think this could be a real turning point for the band. And I know it's been like this long-winded 'oh, VELVET REVOLVER this, VELVET REVOLVER that,' you know — we're tired of it, believe me. But we don't have the ability to just jump out there with any singer. We can't do it."

Sorum added that the potential new singer was a "known guy" who was "younger and stronger."

The drummer recently told VH1 Radio Networks' Dave Basner that if everything works out with this candidate, the band will record its third studio album and tour in the New Year. But he did tell VH1, "If it takes another year or two, it probably won't happen, but I feel very confident it's probably going to happen in 2011."

Singers who have been linked to the VELVET REVOLVER job include ALTER BRIDGE's Myles Kennedy — who also fronts Slash's touring band — SCARS ON BROADWAY's Frankie Perez and SPACEHOG's Royston Langdon, with both Perez and Langdon known to have auditioned at various points.

Slash recently finished a tour in support of his debut solo album and will head out on the road again later this month as the opening act for OZZY OSBOURNE.

VELVET REVOLVER released its first concert DVD on November 16, titled "Live In Houston". The 12-song, 78-minute disc was filmed in 2005 while the band was touring behind its 2004 debut album, "Contraband".

video here:
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe … nt=Twitter

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Royston Langdon would have been a cool choice and ALL old school GNR fans would've hated him. It would have been great. It would have been a very Bowie esque VR with some hard riffs.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

It's about time. A "heavier" VR is what VR should have been from the start. Contraband was a good start.. I'm excited to see where this goes.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

how many thursdays in January left?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I'm very excited for a heavier VR.

Slash, Duff and Matt just have some kind of mojo together. Count me in!

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

A "heavier" VR... hmm...

So could it be Corey Taylor?

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

If they have their singer then I would agree that they would want the album by June and be hitting the summer circuit hard to try to gain some momentum for the band again.
Lolla?
Download?

jamester

jamester wrote:

mattsorum  mattsorum
In Studio all day with VR and mystery singer. Havin a blast. 2 songs done in 2 days. And they rock. Feels good to play with the guys again. We are makin big noise. More to come stay tuned
6 hours ago

RE:
StevenAdlerSite  Steven Adler
@mattsorum AWSOME Matt uu fuckin rule uu kick ass !!! Uuu rrrr LUVED!!:)
3 hours ago

jamester

jamester wrote:

VELVET REVOLVER Drummer Drops More Hints About Potential New Singer - Jan. 7, 2011
VELVET REVOLVER guitarist Slash told ARTISTdirect.com that the band has "moved leaps and bounds" in its search for a new lead singer. The group has been without a vocalist since dismissing Scott Weiland in April 2008. Following a new round of auditions last fall, the band seems to have zeroed in on one potential candidate.

Drummer Matt Sorum gave The Pulse Of Radio a few hints about the singer that the band is, in Sorum's own words, "dating." "[The] guy that we're liking right now is a known guy," he said. "A very strong guy, too. And it seems to, at this point, in my opinion, metaphorically, it makes perfect sense because... a little younger, a little stronger, a little bit heavier rock 'n' roll than we are, that's all I can say, but in a way we want to come out stronger. The older you get, the stronger you have to be, the harder you have to work."

Matt Sorum talking to The Pulse Of Radio about VELVET REVOLVER's candidate for vocalist (audio): http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe … nt=Twitter

Slash told ARTISTdirect.com that VELVET REVOLVER "should be making an announcement one way or another (sometime in January). So it's gonna be interesting going into the third record because we're gonna have a whole different personality as a vocalist. Chances are it's gonna be a lot heavier than anything VELVET REVOLVER has done so far. 'Cause that was the only thing missing for me — the sort or heaviness of it — in the first two VELVET REVOLVER records."

The only vocalists known to have auditioned for the band last year were SPACEHOG's Royston Langdon and Franky Perez from SCARS ON BROADWAY.

As previously reported, VELVET REVOLVER bassist Duff McKagan has launched a new weekly sports column for ESPN.com. McKagan already writes a blog for Seattle Weekly and has penned a financial column for Playboy.com. In his first installment for ESPN.com, posted on Wednesday (January 5), the Seattle Seahawks fan wrote, "A whole lot of sports teams use my old band's song 'Welcome To The Jungle' as their war cry. This fact alone could have probably sated some of you sports fans' 'Why him?' inquiry. Honestly though, I am a huge sports fan myself, and am glad and honored to be given a bit of a pulpit here to voice some of my opinions and insights."

Board footer