You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Re: SLASH Says we should be making an announcement sometime in January

Intercourse wrote:

I think it would have been a perfect bridge to move GNR  away from 'cowboy rock' and onto something more modern.
hard to see where Dizzy would have fitted though!

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Cowboy rock is the reason they had universal-appeal and sold 40+ million albums.

There's a reason grunge, even at it's height, was still just kind of a fleeting genre-appeal moment. Kicked off in '91 and was dead as hell by '95.

In another words... a GN'R grunge album in '95 would've been DOA.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

i don't think either of us know what would have happened

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I don't think there would have ever been a GNR grunge album. There would have been some grunge elements for sure. But Axl has and always will be influnced by Queen. Grunge and Queen don't jive. And even by then, 93-95, Axl was really into industrial music as well. It probably would have been much more raw, but it wouldn't have been a grunge album.

And AFD was not cowboy rock. There was much more of that on UYI, but no way, man. It was pure Hard Rock with a mix of Punk.

Sky Dog wrote:

and a mix of metal...You're Crazy

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

I bought TSI  so any of these would have been a nice change for me big_smile

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
misterID wrote:

I don't think there would have ever been a GNR grunge album. There would have been some grunge elements for sure. But Axl has and always will be influnced by Queen. Grunge and Queen don't jive. And even by then, 93-95, Axl was really into industrial music as well. It probably would have been much more raw, but it wouldn't have been a grunge album.

And AFD was not cowboy rock. There was much more of that on UYI, but no way, man. It was pure Hard Rock with a mix of Punk.

Definitely interesting stuff to debate. And you're right, if Axl would've went any direction in the mid-90's, it would've been an industrial-influenced album. Maybe not as dark as NIN, but I could've definitely seen him wanting to pump out some White Zombie-style rockers. If any grunge element had made the album, the ballads might've been AIC: Jar of Flies-type tracks thrown on there for good measure.

But in some ways, I think any album like that, even with the Sympathy For The Devil-GN'R, a GN'R industrial/grunge album in 1995/96, would've been alot like Queen. As in Hot Space Queen. A disco album 4 years too late. GN'R: Grunge would've been the same circumstances.

The iron was hot in 1992 (see Dirt's numbers), when GN'R were still ruling the world with their UYI "Rolling Stones of the 90's" concept. It would've been a hard sell.

As for AFD, I don't think anyone was calling that album "cowboy rock". AFD might've been GNR's magnum opus, BUT they were at their height of success during their "cowboy rock" 1991-1993 UYI days, even though UYI didn't sell as much.

The rock market at the time, Gen X'ers would've wanted to laugh at them, as did most of the up-and-comers at the time. ONLY way it would've broken through is if GN'R would've called some markers, and had band-friends out there like Cornell, Cantrell... going out there and saying GNR's new album rules or whatever.

Problem is, IF they had done that, ALOT of their normal audience who loved AFD & UYI, would've walked. There was a VERY real intellectual war going on in the rock circles at that time. Hard rock vs. grunge rock, which is superior. 'Bout the only time bands like GN'R & Metallica joined up with Nirvana & Alice In Chains & Soundgarden was to basically jointly say "fuck you" to Poison & Bon Jovi.

I remember alot of fellow GN'R fans in those days HATING Nirvana & Pearl Jam's fucking guts out of spite. About the only two they came around on was Alice In Chains & Soundgarden, because those bands were rooted in metal stylings.

Board footer