You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Downloading CD's vs Buying Used

Neemo wrote:

I was thinking about htis yesterday...is it basically the same thing as far as bands and labels are concerned, just not at such a large scale? do used CD sales contribute to the present demise of the record industry? Labels and Bands make no money from Used CD sales, but yet it is an acceptable form of purchasing music... hmm

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Well, it's not exactly the same thing. When you sell used CD's you just trade a product. If you download CD's you copy them.

I guess you could call downloading inflation, while the trade market is on the gold standard 16

I've never bought a used CD or even once contemplated it. scratchhead.gif  Umm, I don't know.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Neemo wrote:

I was thinking about htis yesterday...is it basically the same thing as far as bands and labels are concerned, just not at such a large scale? do used CD sales contribute to the present demise of the record industry? Labels and Bands make no money from Used CD sales, but yet it is an acceptable form of purchasing music... hmm

No, because I remember used CD stores from the early-mid 90's being popular. Every now & then a new one would pop up. Nowadays, I can't remember seeing any new one's, the one's that did open in the 90's have closed, and I bet some longtime stores businesses have dwindled, and hence closed. I think a huge "used CD" market was college kids. These kids now download the stuff anyway.

If anything, downloading has affected used CD stores business as much as new cd's.

Just MHO.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah, the used CD market definitely isn't what it used to be. I agree with neemo though. Buying a used CD is no different ethically than downloading an album for free. I was always surprised the record companies even allowed cds to be sold used.

Polluxlm, here in this country it is not a trade. While there were "trade in 2 cds for 1" deals, you could actually buy used cds here for 5 to 9 bucks.

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Tommie wrote:

I miss those stores.  I used to go to "disc go round" weekly.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

they are still pretty popular up here

i can get a used cd for about $4-$8 depending how new it is

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah in theory buying a used CD is different to downloading. The artist has sold one legitimate copy of that album, and only one person is listening to that copy of the album, its just a change in which person that is. When the new owner gets the CD the old owner looses the ability to hear it. So while them both buying and keeping it would be better for the artist..its not that its being stolen in the same way. However now that people pirate their own cds and sell them,,,thats a bit different.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Yeah in theory buying a used CD is different to downloading. The artist has sold one legitimate copy of that album, and only one person is listening to that copy of the album, its just a change in which person that is. When the new owner gets the CD the old owner looses the ability to hear it. So while them both buying and keeping it would be better for the artist..its not that its being stolen in the same way. However now that people pirate their own cds and sell them,,,thats a bit different.

I was just talking to someone about this the other day.

I think in most cases it is the same.  If the person that sold the CD didn't burn a copy or download the songs onto their ipod/computer first for themselves then I agree with what you say Monkeychow.  But, I think most people actually do keep a copy in some form.

I have a mate that just sold his share in a second hand CD store locally here.  They were doing pretty well from what I understand and business was continuing to grow.  They would bascially buy up big lots of CD's when they came up for sale on ebay or various places, recase most of them then sell em for about $10.

I think quite a lot of their stock came from people that would be quitting all their CD's in one big lot - most probably coz they have put them onto their computer/ipods etc and then thought "I know I will get some cash back".

I look at my brother in law - he has probably over 1,000 CD's.  But last Christmas my sister bought him an Ipod so he spent about a month putting all the music onto his computer and ipod and now has stored all the CD's away in boxes.  Presumably he will probably flog them off at some point because now they are just taking up space in his garage.

So whoever eventually buys his CD doesn't contribute anything to the artist, they just pay a clip to the second hand retailer and my brother in law.

I think as russtcb said - these days second hand CD sales are more generated from the fact that people have saved the music electronically and so wanna get some money back rather than simply not liking the album anymore and getting rid of it.

Board footer