You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

Re: A second NYC Jessa Malin Tommy Stinson show has been added 2/19

jamester wrote:

http://www.citywinery.com/events/141594
htgth
  A second NYC Jessa Malin & @tommy_stinson show has been added on Feb 19. The second show is at 11PM. http://bit.ly/fzjeEc about 2 hours ago via web
Music Event February 19, 2011
jesse-malin_banner.jpg?1295538117
10:45pm Seating / 11:00pm Show
Tickets
     * Bar Stools $15.00
    * Reserved Tables $20.00
    * Reserved Best Tables $25.00
    * VIP Tables $25.00
Buy Now
On the Web
www.jessemalin.com/  tommystinson.com/

2nd Show just added late night 11pm.(Doors at 10:45pm)

Join Jesse Malin for a very special show with his new band the St Marks Social. Jesse will perform his crictically acclaimed debut album "The Fine Art of Self Destruction" in its entirety along with selections of new tunes and old standards.

ABOUT JESSE MALIN & ST MARK'S SOCIAL

After three critically acclaimed solo records, dozens of world tours and TV appearances, Jesse Malin found himself back in New York City questioning his next move.  From his days fronting seminal hardcore trio Heart Attack and infamous glam punks D Generation, then seven years on the road as a solo artist, Malin had cultivated a devout fan base.  He’d shared stages with everyone from The White Stripes to Counting Crows, The Hold Steady to Lucinda Williams, but felt like he was losing the plot.

Malin contemplated going back to school, becoming a standup comedian or a Las Vegas wedding DJ, and even started work on a documentary film about DC hardcore Rastafarians The Bad Brains.  For over a year he didn’t play or record.  When asked by a Hollywood screenwriter to pen songs for a film about author J.D. Salinger, Malin — a fan of Catcher in the Rye and other Salinger works — traveled to Cornish, NH hoping to speak to the famous recluse.  In typical punk-rock fashion, instead of getting the interview, Malin landed at the local precinct for trespassing and was released only after the cops watched his video duet with Bruce Springsteen for “Broken Radio” on YouTube and were convinced he was just a writer doing research.  Though he never met Salinger (who passed away this past January), Malin made the most of the experience by writing “The Archer” and “Lonely at Heart”—two songs that would make him want to work again and become the basis for his new album.

Over the summer of 2009, in the basement of Avenue A watering hole Hi-Fi, the songs came forth.  Malin, with impresario Don DiLego, drummer Randy Schrager, guitarist Matt Hogan, and bassist/DJ Tommy USA, worked with his newly formed band to bash out an album’s worth of gritty anthems, and The St. Marks Social was born.  A solid band, but one with an open door to Malin’s community of musician friends – longtime partner in crime Ryan Adams, pop singer Mandy Moore, fellow label mate Brian Fallon, and former bandmates from D Generation Howie Pyro and Danny Sage – the Social is a group effort to keep the P.M.A.  Says Malin, “To me, rock ‘n’ roll is an exorcism that begins every night when the sun goes down, the music starts playing, and the spirits start flowing.  It helps to say things in public over dirty microphones.  It’s a way to spit out the poison.”

When Jesse met producer Ted Hutt (Lucero, Flogging Molly, The Gaslight Anthem) one drunken night at a local bar, their talk of making a record fast, loose, and raw, was the beginning of Hutt’s quest to create a record that would encompass Malin’s roots and evolution—from hardcore thrasher to punk/folk singer-songwriter. The album’s basic tracks were laid in three days at Greenpoint, Brooklyn’s Mission Studios, and the rest at Sonic Youth’s Think Tank Studios in Hoboken, NJ.  Filled with the characters Malin does best—messengers and misanthropes, hipsters and hypocrites—and as always, his constant themes of redemption, nightlife, heartbreak, and survival, LOVE IT TO LIFE—a sentiment taken from a ticket stub Joe Strummer autographed for Jesse—was built with desperate optimism that shouts in gang vocals that no matter how bad it gets, you’re never alone.

ABOUT TOMMY STINSON

“I want to say this about Tommy: Some people say that Keith Richards is the embodiment of rock ‘n roll. Well, I know ‘em both, and I say it’s Tommy Stinson. Keith is a cowboy, he goes back to Gene Autry. Tommy — he goes back to Johnny Thunders. Tommy Stinson is rock ‘n roll. ”
- Jim Dickinson, record producer and musician

It would be hard to find a character in rock and roll who has played the part better than Tommy Stinson. From his beginnings as bassist of the legendary Replacements to his current tenure with Guns N’ Roses, Tommy has always done things his own way and has lived to tell the tale.
Currently touring the world with Guns N’ Roses, Stinson is video-blogging whenever he can so people can get a little glimpse into his world. Through behind-the-scenes footage of Tommy’s travels and shenanigans, visitors to his website will be getting more than they bargained for.

The story begins with seminal Minneapolis band The Replacements. Tommy started the group with his big brother Bob at the tender age of 13. His spirited bass playing, sense of style, and impenetrable bullshit detector helped make the band special. He dropped out of high school a few years later to focus on touring full-time, and hasn’t looked back. Until the Replacements unceremonious demise in 1991, Tommy and his bandmates found themselves hazily thrashing through the world with reckless abandon. Their unpredictable shows are the stuff of legend — nobody that has ever seen the Replacements on stage will ever forget it. In the end, all he had to show for it was a few bruises and a hell of a reputation to uphold.

Only 24 when the band broke up, Tommy set off on his own. He formed the Faces-flavored group Bash & Pop, followed by the more polished Perfect. In 1993, Bash & Pop released the album “Friday Night Is Killing Me,” while Perfect’s 1997 album was shelved due to record label tomfoolery. It was eventually released in 2004, under the name “Once, Twice, Three Times a Maybe.”

Tommy’s life took yet another interesting turn in 1998, when Axl Rose asked him to be the new bassist in Guns N’ Roses. Since then, he has writing, recording, and touring the world with them. His fingerprints are all over the “Chinese Democracy” album and his signature presence on stage adds a unique dimension to this notoriously great live band.

Stinson released his first solo album in 2004. “Village Gorilla Head” was well-received by the music press and fans alike. He subsequently toured on the album using his friends’ bands The Figgs and Alien Crime Syndicate as his backing bands.

In 2005, Tommy was asked to fill in on bass for Soul Asylum (with his high school pal Dave Pirner) after bassist and founding member Karl Mueller succumbed to cancer. The following year he helped finish recording “The Silver Lining” album with them. He still writes, records, and plays shows with the band whenever he can, and relishes playing with his old friends.

There are no plans of slowing down in the future for our fearless friend. In 2010, Tommy will release new solo material and as well as continue to tour with Guns N’ Roses.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

From tommystinson.com

My Peoples,

It’s been too long since I updated this site. As of late I have been totally consumed with moving from Pennsylvania to New York state and rehearsing for upcoming shows in Arlington, Philly, New York, and Boston.

I didn’t even know why I said yes to the first show in NYC until I started putting a set together — then it felt like something I needed to do. I decided it had been way too long since I got out and played some of my own songs, even stripped-down, as these shows will be. These four shows will be just me, an acoustic guitar, a fiancée (Emily Roberts), with special guests/friends to play different shows. I will have a Figg (Mike Gent) in 3 of four cities, an uncle in-law (Chip Roberts), and a George Manney in Philly, and a Frank Ferrer in NYC. Should be a fun trip. Well, at least for me (hopefully).

I have been touring with GnR and Soul Asylum for so much of the last 4 years, that I nearly forgot I had amassed enough new material for a new record. So here goes — my first little romp through the tulips before putting out a new record. Gonna see how they stand up, or fall to pieces. Here are the dates and the cities and venues. Hope to see you there!

-t

Can't wait for that album to be released smile

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

If it's anything like One Man Mutiny, it'll be awesome!

Board footer