You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Alternate artwork (NEW scans inside!)

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

The artwork on the alternate version way overshadows the need to show pictures of the 2000 people involved with the band and the writing of the album. I am happy with no pictures of anyone because really the band is Axl so there is no need to pretend that the bandmembers matter.

The use of pics of CD era members was really only needed if he intended to push the various incarnations of the band(he did not and still doesn't).

As you say, GNR is Axl so that version does make more sense as most sane people agree that its similar to NIN although GNR members obviously contribute more to the songwriting than Reznor's hired hands.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Well I think the ship for Axl selling the new band as a band is over. He had a chance in 2001 to kind of re-invent the wheel, but he didn't promote it enough, plus Robin & Bucket were not really talkers. Most people were getting their info from Richard, Tommy & Brain.

I think he would've had a shot with the amazing self-promoter/ambassador team that DJ & Ron could've been, but the fact that neither of them are on the same page with Axl, and the fact no one at all cares anymore, including many of the diehards - Axl's the only guy they can send out there.

Axl's lack of self-promotion killed any 'band' aspect they could've had. Even if the reunion were tomorrow, Axl would play it like he did in 1992 & '93, sending Slash & Duff out there to talk for him.

I don't see why a pic of the 2001 Rio III performance, the 2002 VMA performance, the 2006 Rock Am Ring performance, and a 2007 pic couldn't have sufficed the album pictures, with maybe a couple of shots of Costanzo & Axl in studio.

A dude I know was talking to this girl at his work the other day. She was wearing a Sixx:AM shirt and talking about her love of DJ Ashba. My buddy says "So if GNR comes back, are you going just to see DJ?" which she laughed at uncomfortably and walked away. About 10 minutes later she comes back with her smart phone out and goes "SON OF A BITCH! DJ IS IN GUNS N' ROSES?!?"

Shit like that just makes it so clear how little could be done from inside the camp to gain more/new fans. I mean this broad loves DJ and had NO CLUE he was in GN'R. Every interview I've seen since he joined lists him as "guitarist of Sixx:AM and Guns N' Roses". So I know some of that is her being dumb and missing it, but a lot of it could be cured by the band doing any sort of normal promotion.

You have a point, but that chick just can't be into DJ if she didn't know he was in the band. Fucking hell, the dude types GNR in every 3rd sentence he ever does. Some people say a certain thing, but yet ain't truly what we, hardcores, are expecting it to be. You're not a big fan of DJ if you don't know what band they guy is on. Then you're one with shallow interest. For girls they prolly like him because they think he looks hot. Got nothing to do with what we're doing here.

It's like this with other stuff too, people say they like aviation, Spitfires, Mustangs or whatever and I start my babble. And they go "err..I didn't know this, didn't know that..." and in the end we're just not talking about the same shit at all.

I'm not sure it's GNRs job to turn inform less intelligent people about their doings. I think they should just focus on those who actually are what they appear to be. However, they don't really do that as well, which Axlin points out and is quite right with. It's obscure. But I guess that's how Axl wants it to be.

These were diehards, who were totally freaking out of the loop.

Then they are not diehards, but pretend to be. If you like a band, you keep yourself informed about band members, regardless of the bands promotional ideas. In GNR's case you gotta do the job yourself, and not expect them to inform you of shit. If you don't do the job yourself in this case, you're not really a diehard.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Fair enough. I just figured for people on the street to know that the band was Axl, Robin Finck, Buckethead, some guy on rhythm, Tommy Stinson on bass, Brain on drums, Dizzy on keys, and some other guy on keys...

That was pretty damn close for a Guns fan with a life.

DCK

DCK wrote:

It was like this back in the early 90's too...most people didn't really care who the drummer was or who was on rythm. It was just Axl and Slash. With Aerosmith, some people actually think that Steven Tyler IS Aerosmith, as in saying "that Aerosmith sure can sing well". And yet they call themselves fans.

I once met this guy in college and he had put down Buckcherry as his fave band. So I got all happy and started talking. When I was done he said he didn't know anything about them except he heard a song in a movie once and put them down as a fave band.

People.....

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Honestly, I see girls do this all the time. That's not to say there aren't women out there that know their shit. I've met many of Gunner chicks who knew GN'R songs inside and out.

But i've seen that alot with women. "Oh yeah, I LOVE Lady GaGa".

What's your favorite song?

That one on the radio all the time, umm umm, Poker something.

Wow... what a FAN!

I remember when MJ died, suddenly everyone was an MJ fan. Well I got into a discussion with a girl at school who had a MJ shirt on and was talking about how he was her hero. I told her I enjoyed his music too, and asked what was her favorite album of his?

She replied - "Number Ones"

Then when I told her my favorite song was "Stranger In Moscow", she had no clue what I was talking about, or the HIStory album.

Just another bandwagoner. Guys do it too, but I see it ALOT with women.

You just can't call something "your favorite", when you haven't dug into that artist's discog. It's fraudulent.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

DCK

DCK wrote:

Fucking fantastic if you ask me, and yes, women seem to pull these tricks more than men does. The word "fan" is used on anything these days. You happen to like something for a second, and boom..you're a big fan.'

But it does go to the extreme with Guns N' Roses. Especially when they first started out again in 2000-2001. People thought all kinds of stuff, the confusion about what was going on was immense. It took people like 4 years to pick up on it, and when they EVENTUALLY managed to get thru their heads that some form of GNR was playing, they started bashing it. And that's what annoys me more than what they are actually saying sometimes. If they actually had some credibility saying the shit they are/were saying then I would listen. When you don't care enough to investige the status of a band you are claiming yourself a fan of within 5 fucking years, then you are automatically terminated from any sort of discussion in my book.

Oh and Stranger in Moscow is ace. I like Give in to me as well, and Who is it. The video on the latter one is brilliant.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
DCK wrote:

It was like this back in the early 90's too...most people didn't really care who the drummer was or who was on rythm. It was just Axl and Slash.

I'm gonna chalk this up to a regional thing. In the US, each member was well known. While no one really cared much about Dizzy(no offense Dizzy, the hardcores cared). Even a casual fan could name each member of the AFD-UYI lineups. Izzy pissing on a plane made CNN headline news for gods sake.

Axl introducing the band since the early days probably helped pave the way for this. Also the fact each member contributed to the huge promo blitz that stretched six years also played a role.

A very awkward moment was in the mid 90s when the net was in its infancy. No one was doing promo yet there was that odd lineup for about a year(Axl, Duff, Finck, Huge, whoeverthefuck). No one cared about that because of the no names in the lineup and the fact nothing was going on.

AtariLegend wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Honestly, I see girls do this all the time. That's not to say there aren't women out there that know their shit. I've met many of Gunner chicks who knew GN'R songs inside and out.

But i've seen that alot with women. "Oh yeah, I LOVE Lady GaGa".

What's your favorite song?

That one on the radio all the time, umm umm, Poker something.

Wow... what a FAN!

I remember when MJ died, suddenly everyone was an MJ fan. Well I got into a discussion with a girl at school who had a MJ shirt on and was talking about how he was her hero. I told her I enjoyed his music too, and asked what was her favorite album of his?

She replied - "Number Ones"

Then when I told her my favorite song was "Stranger In Moscow", she had no clue what I was talking about, or the HIStory album.

Just another bandwagoner. Guys do it too, but I see it ALOT with women.

You just can't call something "your favorite", when you haven't dug into that artist's discog. It's fraudulent.

HISTory is basically a Greatest Hits album apart from a few awesome singles and rubbish covers on the other disc.

In the girls defence there is such a thing as too many best of albums.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

True, but if an MJ fan can't even name the B-sides on Thriller... come on.

Board footer