You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Favorite foreign films

James wrote:

Any fans here? If so, what are your favorites?

I'll list mine.

Audition
Oldboy
Visitor Q
Baise Moi
Three...Extremes(only for Park's tale)
Marebito
The Red Shoes
Reincarnation
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance

I would also add the film where that chick gets a fetish and starts cutting herself, but I forgot the name of it.

I'm gonna watch A Tale of Two Sisters later this week. I've went way too long without seeing it. I need to get the Whispering Corridor series as well.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

The Godfather
Heat

tongue

Der Untergang
Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance
Oldboy
The Fabulous Amalie
Seven Samurai
Ran
Yojimbo
Das Experiment

James

James wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

The Godfather
Heat

tongue

16 When starting this thread, I realized there are people here from other countries and I tried thinking of a different thread title but couldn't.

I was tempted to add High Tension, but the ending killed what was a great horror flick.

James

James wrote:

How is Audition not on your list? Haven't watched it yet?

You need to watch Visitor Q also.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

How is Audition not on your list? Haven't watched it yet?

You need to watch Visitor Q also.

No, haven't got around to it. Think I'll just order it right away. Could you give me a link, I did a search on imbd.com but there was like 7 titles to choose from.

James

James wrote:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0235198/

When Netflix is available in your country, definitely get a subscription. You can watch tons of shit without ever having to buy the movies. Great selection of foreign movies.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0235198/

When Netflix is available in your country, definitely get a subscription. You can watch tons of shit without ever having to buy the movies. Great selection of foreign movies.

I don't know about you, but after watching thousands of movies over the years I've developed a nose for quality. So in my eyes renting is a waste since you can always watch a quality film multiple times.

Besides, having a collection is something that turns me on a bit 16

Thanks for the link, I was on the verge of putting some crappy flick in the basket.

James

James wrote:

When the switchover from VHS to DVD happened, my collecting days went in the garbage along with everyones love for VHS. I just never got into buying movies when the format changed. I only rent. When I want to see something again, I just put it back on my Netflix queue.

Yeah, my tastes for film is also pretty damn high. The only Hollywood films I have any interest in anymore are horror films, and most of those are hit and miss. I don't even bother with the comedies they unleash on the masses anymore. Its just recycled garbage I've seen done better many times in the past.

Hollywood is out of touch with reality, but its just a sign of our current culture. People are so dumbed down here, that its not really Hollywood's fault as they are just giving the people what they want.

I'll pass.

I am interested in films that not only push the envelope, but make you think and are willing to deal with the reality that there's really no happy endings in life. The only place to find this is in the foreign markets.

Also after watching foreign films and the approach some of those directors take, you see that no one in Hollywood is inspired by anything. They're just "phoning it in" and seem so uninspired that their main goal is to get you interested enough to buy a tub of popcorn and pay 10 bucks to see their bland shit so they'll have enough money to do it again.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

Chan-wook Park has a minor fan club here, it seems. I quite liked Sympathy for Mr Vengeance; Oldboy was decent as well.

On Takashi Miike, Audition is interesting experiment in structure, as I recall the build-up was pretty damn long, and the outcome needed to be something that really put you on the edge of your seat. It was certainly a surprising experience, but I'm not that sure whether it'd sustain subsequent viewings. Structurally, Dead or Alive is a similar thing, as you can hardly distinguish its first two acts from any other yakuza film, but I dare you to say the finale is anything short of memorable. Ichi the Killer is good fun for one time around, before the fluff begins to show. I'd say Happiness of the Katakuris and Visitor Q are my personal favorites.

I'm a big fan of Kim Ki-Duk myself. The Isle can take on Audition or any other film on the perils of a relationship leading to nasty situations any given day. However, Kim's greatest in my book is Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring, as it has to be one of the most beautiful films I've seen in the recent years. As the title suggests, it's an allegory on the cycle of life.

Italian cinema is great, too. Bertolucci, Argento, Bava, Leone... Italians have a knack for ultra-stylized horror/fantasy, low-budget exploitation scifi/cannibalism/barbarians, spaghetti westerns, and also the high-brow life-loving epics. Italian cinema is similar to their cuisine, there's something for everyone, but the ones with varied taste get the fullest plate.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
sic. wrote:

Italian cinema is great, too. Bertolucci, Argento, Bava, Leone... Italians have a knack for ultra-stylized horror/fantasy, low-budget exploitation scifi/cannibalism/barbarians, spaghetti westerns, and also the high-brow life-loving epics. Italian cinema is similar to their cuisine, there's something for everyone, but the ones with varied taste get the fullest plate.

Ah, thanks for reminding me. Cinema Paradiso, fantastic movie.

Board footer