You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Re: Chinese Democracy now $1.99

Ali wrote:
ppp wrote:

I wouldn't consider putting the no-promotion blame on Irv, if it wasn't for the fact that he did this with his other clients. It's odd.

Take a look at Christina Aguilera, one of his longtime clients. She delays her album Bionic almost 4 years (a lifetime in the pop world), spends a ton of cash on it, promises fans it will be huge and then what happens? It comes out to almost no promotion and both she and Irv basically threw it under the bus to move onto other things (like Burlesque, which they were so convinced would win her an Oscar).

Excellent point.  Forgot about that.

Ali

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Or it could be Axl is just looking for someone else to blame like he always does. Just throwing it out there as a possibility (as far fetched as it might be).

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

The more i listen to CD now almost 2 and a half years later.. honestly, trying to separate my fandom from it all..... it honestly just isn't that commercial of an album.

not that it isn't great, but really it has no singles and nothing that captures lightning in the bottle.

singles sell albums. CD is void of hits.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Or it could be Axl is just looking for someone else to blame like he always does. Just throwing it out there as a possibility (as far fetched as it might be).

Or it could be that Axl dropped the ball and others played a part, a lesser part, but a part nonetheless, in the album's lack of proper promotion and marketing.  It may not be as black and white as "Axl is just looking for someone else to blame like he always does".  As far-fetched as that may sound.

Ali

emcitymisfit
 Rep: 28 

emcitymisfit wrote:
-D- wrote:

The more i listen to CD now almost 2 and a half years later.. honestly, trying to separate my fandom from it all..... it honestly just isn't that commercial of an album.

not that it isn't great, but really it has no singles and nothing that captures lightning in the bottle.

singles sell albums. CD is void of hits.

Better.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

TWAT would have been a great single. Prostitute. Shacklers Revenge.

Chinese Democracy actually did pretty good as a single.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

TWAT is the best song on the album, but is too long for 2008/09 exposure. Prostitute is also too long.

Shackler's would've been a great choice had they beat it into the ground and shoved it down everyone's throats, it would've taken off, no matter how much GN'R nerds thought it was awful.

Better & Street of Dreams would've been the same.

CD only worked, because it was the first exposure of the album, and radio stations did alot of pre-release hype for it. Then it drops, and is a total anti-climax, and almost instantly flatlines. Even DJ's at the time were admitting on the radio that they were refusing to play the song despite requests, because they were boycotting anything with "Axl and his fake Guns".

That's why personal promo from Axl & the label was CRUCIAL to the success of the album. There was alot of resistence towards it, and Axl needed to put himself over, and was absent.

I would've put out Better as the first single, 'cause it was the catchiest thing on there. After that, hit 'em with the quick ballad - Street of Dreams. If the album is stable, throw out Shackler's Revenge as the next rocker.

If reaction was very good, you could've saved CD & This I Love as re-release singles.

jmho

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I think CD was better than what you're giving it credit for. I don't think the DJ's refusing to play it was as widespread as it's being touted. One reason, DJ's today rarely have the power to choose their own playlists anymore.

And Metallica released All Nightmare Long and The Day That Never Comes as singles and they were much longer than Prostitute (which could have been edited down to 4-5 minutes for radio) and TWAT. And TWAT had much more commercial potential than anything Metallica released.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah but Metallica is one of the most successful, if not the most successful METAL band of all time.

If they delieved a 3 minute cover of "Runaway", people would be pissed at them. Different dynamic than what Axl has to deal with.

There's a reason stuff like Yesterdays was chosen over Locomotive for being a single.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Anyone that thinks Shacklers would have been a hit needs to lay off the crack pipe.

Board footer