You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Chinese Democracy now $1.99

monkeychow wrote:

Hey i even have it set that way on my ipod. Starts right before the guitar riff. The intro is cool when listening to a full album, but when you are jumping track to track long intros ruin the flow of music.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
huntermc wrote:

Chinese Democracy would have made a "better" radio single if they had chopped off the long-ass intro and started right off with the guitar riff like at Rock In Rio. Don't get me wrong - the intro works great on the album and builds anticipation until it kicks in, but on radio you need to get to the fucking point.

Most radio stations I listened to edited out the intro and went right into the opening riff. I only remember hearing the intro once, or maybe twice.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

First thing I did was cut that intro off too...

Destroys the pacing of the song.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
misterID wrote:
huntermc wrote:

Chinese Democracy would have made a "better" radio single if they had chopped off the long-ass intro and started right off with the guitar riff like at Rock In Rio. Don't get me wrong - the intro works great on the album and builds anticipation until it kicks in, but on radio you need to get to the fucking point.

Most radio stations I listened to edited out the intro and went right into the opening riff. I only remember hearing the intro once, or maybe twice.

Yeah, the first time radio stations played the song maybe they kept the intro in, or if they needed to get out a bunch of information they'd talk over the intro.  But for the most part, they cut it out completely.  So the lengthy intro has nothing to do with the singles success or lack thereof.  It's quite easy to edit.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I remember Better was edited on Radio 1 after a week of airplay, they cut out the middle section and it sounded a mess.

I remember thinking without band involvement the album release was always going to vanish from the medias radar. All these radio stations, music magazines and media are massive marketing tools and bands and musicians have to play the media game for them to push their music.
As soon as it became clear Axl was not coming out of hiding, they all just dropped it, kicked it to the kerb and moved on to something else, talking about bands and musicians that will happily communicate with them and are out enthusiastically pushing their music.

When CD came out everyone was hoping to hear from Axl, get that first reponce or announce the first shows. But there was nothing behind the release, a complete vacuum, and it sucked all the initial enthusiasm and interest into oblivion.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

That's how media works. A new song, even if it's the next Strawberry Fields Forever, will be done in a week, if they cannot add some stories to it. Cause personal feelings, etc. make it interesting.
Take then GN'R, with Axl not speaking and the others avoiding every GN'R-related question since it's 'not their business', and the whole thing is dead. I've seen plenty of CD adverts and fliers - could have been more, could have been less. The label could have promoted the shit out of the record, if Uncle Axl didn't come out, they wouldn't have sold more. The whole Axlish blame game is boring. Had he come out, had his musicians speak freely, the sales would have beeen doubled.

Sky Dog wrote:

accountability.....Ax could have made it better with minimal effort. He didn't do it for whatever reason. If you are going to be the man, you gotta be accountable.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Yeah that's why I don't buy the excuse that the album "failed" because it just wasn't good.  I mean, that MAY be the truth, though I don't agree.  But the fact is we will never know, because the album was mishandled from day 1.  There was a large amount of hype and support for the album leading up to its release.  But once people (the media) figured out Axl wasn't going to play along, everyone just gave up on it.  And you can't blame them.  They were absolutely right in doing so. 

So the album as a whole, and the 2 singles released never stood a chance to be AS successful as they should've been.  People say this album didn't have any hits, and I truly believe the only reason it didn't was because of the lack of effort, support, or participation from EVERYONE involved.  And most of that blame falls on Axl.  It just seems like he didn't really care that much in the end, which is kind of weird since he spent so much of his life working on this one album.  Maybe he was just sick of it all at the end of the day and wanted to wash his hands of it completely.

johndivney wrote:

IF there is a new album & IF Dj (& BBF) is still in the band the record'll get a lot more promo.. even if it's justFB/Twitter crap, every little helps..
as for Axl, faldor  that sense of washing his hands of it was prob just one aspect in his reasons for not promoting it. his relationship w/the label - they prob refused a hefty budget to promote the album - & a sourness over the booklet/artwork were other factors. i'm sure axl has plenty of excuses why it all went silent upon release..

Board footer