You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Re: Chinese Democracy now $1.99

Mikkamakka wrote:

...but none of those make sense. It was HIS comeback album and not the label's, yet the label did more to promote it than Axl. He fucked it up, cause that's the way he likes it. He can suffer and hate and blame the world.

Sky Dog wrote:

[youtube]C9enMPQtsdA&feature=related[/youtube]

to be the man.........oh yeah...wooooooo!

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

And one day, The Four Horsemen will ride again - Axl, Slash, Izzy & Duff...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Sky Dog wrote:

If you're not carrying the big gold, you're just second best...no matter what you tell yourself.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Space Mountain... All night long, baby...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

johndivney wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

...but none of those make sense. It was HIS comeback album and not the label's, yet the label did more to promote it than Axl. He fucked it up, cause that's the way he likes it. He can suffer and hate and blame the world.

you can't expect one man to organise & maintain a promotional campaign all by his lonesome. the artist needs the backing of their labels PR/media wing to promote their product.

what it reminds me of is that MJ album Invincible, where the label (sony?) refused to allocate any more money for promo of the album after spending so much on production.

obv there were things axl could have done of his own volition. but it's possible once he saw the label weren't going to fund video's - or care about the booklet - or whatever other promo tools they use, he acted the little kid & sulked.
i think MJ threatened to sue sony at the time, claiming discrimation(!), for lack of support in helping promote the record.
it's common enough for labels to back out when they've already invested far too much. once they got the best buy deal they perhaps figured ok enoughs enough we've broke even but we're not gonna take any more of axl's shit/demands. and axl of course does like to suffer & blame the world so the labels lack of involvement was an excuse axl was waiting for.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Yeah, my problem is that he acted like a little kid. He could and should have done interviews and let his band members speak. Had he done that, he'd have moral ground to criticize the label. Uni did its job - I've seen plenty of TV ads, which is very rare today, and as far as I know the 'Better' video was ready or almost ready 2 years ago - but it never came out. Making a video with live footage isn't brain surgery and doesn't cost too much. Hiring a PR team to arrange interviews isn't that expensive.
With this band nothing gets done - they even sent home the director from their SA tour. What a never-ending clusterfuck.

johndivney wrote:

there was an extensive Rolling Stone interview/article lined-up that axl backed out on at the last minute, wasn't there? or was that just a rumour?

hiring people outside the immediate circle is a no-go & has been now for about 20years. axl is just too paranoid to relinquish any sort of control, hence the vomit-inducing del james interview that did surface & the confusing billboard interview conducted thru email.

as has been mentioned countless times before, there is no real reason why they could edit together live footage & put video/'s up on youtube even.

i dunno. i do agree that the buck does stop with axl. but at the same time the lack of label support isn't unprecedented (tho of course, taking the wider view, axl also helped bring that strained relationship with the label upon himself).

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I think it just comes down to Axl not having the ambition he used to about kicking ass and being the biggest thing around.

For all the drive he has at making his music he sorely lacks it in growing his career.

I seriously doubt he sees it as the clusterfuck that we do.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Well, he also could've seen it as just as much of a clusterfuck.  I mean, it certainly didn't pan out as even he could've hoped, imagined, or planned.  The 2 main guitarists on the album were no longer in the band, and Robin's departure came just prior to the album being released.  Granted, it's all about Axl and most people could care less about others in the band, but it's tough to promote an album with a band that at the time was lacking a guitarist and missing key contributors.

It was just a huge mess.  Hopefully, if they ever release another album, it'll be done under much different and more stable circumstances.

Board footer