You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Chinese Democracy now $1.99

faldor wrote:

Yeah, I just think they were more relevant back in 2002.  Their "return" was fresh.  Now it's 9 years later and their "return" hasn't progressed nearly as much as you would've hoped (expected) and there's absolutely no momentum.  At least in 2002, there were people wondering what they'd do next, even if they were unimpressed with the VMA performance.  People were talking about them.  Now, not so much.

We'll see, like misterID said, despite what people think, this band still does have a chance to make an impact.  I just don't see the want, need, or desire from the man at the center of it all, so I don't see it happening.  It's unfortunate for the fans that remain, but it is what it is.  I hope I'm proven wrong.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Hardcores were interested in 2002, and even 2006 to an extent.

The key difference now is even hardcore Axlites have jumped ship and pretty much joined the "who gives a fuck anymore" category.

I think Axl's non-existant prescence in the release of CD caused alot of that after 2008.

He hurt alot of long time fans who had waited for that album. When he did that, alot of people said "if he doesn't care, why should I"

They were let down, and they should've been. Axl totally dropped the ball, and basically made 8-9 years a waste of time for his fans. A complete and total waste of time.

And to argue that with him, instead of him just saying "yeah, I own it, sorry", he'll sit there and argue why you caused it, and his diehard supporters will say Axl didn't hold a gun to your head, blah blah blah...

Bottom line is people were hurt. Perception is reality.

I personally think without a fuckin' "Rockstar" in his back pocket, his goose is cooked in just about every level. Label, DJ's, stores, casual fans, diehard fans...

There's only one thing that can reverse it all in one swoop, but I digress...

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I still care about the band and would love to hear new music.  I just have stopped expecting them to do anything.  I had high hopes leading up to CD's release, and then we got a years worth of silence.  I suppose the next album (if there is one) could be handled differently.  I just don't expect it anymore.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Which pretty much proves my point. If your last line of defense don't expect anything from you, well that pretty much sells it all...

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Hardcores were interested in 2002, and even 2006 to an extent.

The key difference now is even hardcore Axlites have jumped ship and pretty much joined the "who gives a fuck anymore" category.

I think Axl's non-existant prescence in the release of CD caused alot of that after 2008.

He hurt alot of long time fans who had waited for that album. When he did that, alot of people said "if he doesn't care, why should I"

They were let down, and they should've been. Axl totally dropped the ball, and basically made 8-9 years a waste of time for his fans. A complete and total waste of time.

And to argue that with him, instead of him just saying "yeah, I own it, sorry", he'll sit there and argue why you caused it, and his diehard supporters will say Axl didn't hold a gun to your head, blah blah blah...

Bottom line is people were hurt. Perception is reality.

I personally think without a fuckin' "Rockstar" in his back pocket, his goose is cooked in just about every level. Label, DJ's, stores, casual fans, diehard fans...

There's only one thing that can reverse it all in one swoop, but I digress...

I kinda agree with you. But my view is not as extreme as yours.
The really REALLY hardcore Axl-fans still care a great deal. You see it on various boards and on comments on FB and Twitter.
Whenever DJ tries to sell you stuff via his posts, it gets hundreds and thousands of "likes" and comments.

The fact that Axl doesn't seem to play ball (or even wants to) with his own label is not a good sign. Well, it's not a good sign if your dream is to see GNR/Axl on top of the world again. I mean, setting up interviews and apperances on major outlets (TV, radio, print) requires a highly proffesional team of know-how people with connections all over the biz. And I guess Beta, Del, Fernando and Jarmo doesn't seem to cut it. And Azoff was apperantly shooting for something else, I do believe that.

Axl said early on that he wanted GNR to be as big as they could get. But when that happened and the UYI-tours were over, he didn't seem to actually ever want to "go there" again. There is not a mob of fans waiting outside his hotel anymore (unless he's in South America) and he seems to like it that way.

Axl will continue to be a rockstar in the sense that people will go see GNR in concert as long as he keeps touring and releasing music on a regular basis in some form or another. If that ends up beeing stadium, arenas or club shows, it doesn't matter to me and my belief is that it doesen't matter to Axl. It may even end up where the income of a tour is not enough to pay his bandmembers and that he just ends up releasing music whenever he sees fit and that's that!

At the current stage of his career, my guess is that he is somehow shackled by the fact that he owes X-amount of albums to a major label. And getting out of that "mess" is not easy when you're butting heads over how you want things to be rolled out.
Back when I was storemanager at a recordstore (around '06), I asked one of the top guys at Universal about what he could tell me about the new GNR album. He just looked at me with a combination of dissapointment/amusement and said: "We've had money put aside for that album for 5 years!! I have no idea!"
And that's coming from a Universal executive in little Norway. I can't even imagine the level of frustration from executives in major markets like the US....
roll

Axl would prolly love to be in some kind of Trent Reznor/NIN type situation and being able to do things similar to what Bumblefoot have suggested.

Fine by me!

I still listen to Chinese Democracy on a regular basis, even though a casual rockfan couldn't name me two songs off of that album!

huntermc
 Rep: 12 

huntermc wrote:
Naltav wrote:

At the current stage of his career, my guess is that he is somehow shackled by the fact that he owes X-amount of albums to a major label. And getting out of that "mess" is not easy when you're butting heads over how you want things to be rolled out.

If Axl owes Universal x number of albums and wants to end his contract he might want to... I dunno... release some fucking albums? Say if he owed them three studio albums, if he had put out ChiDem 1 in 2002, ChiDem 2 in 2005, and ChiDem 3 in 2008, he would be done with his contract now and could move on to recording some new stuff with the current band.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

He also could go independent now, had he got off his ass too.

With the current climate, and Axl's situation, he could've taken GN'R indie had he wanted to.

Now he's stuck with Uni.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

He also could go independent now, had he got off his ass too.

With the current climate, and Axl's situation, he could've taken GN'R indie had he wanted to.

Now he's stuck with Uni.

Uh, how exactly could Axl have gone independent while under contract with Universal?  I mean, unless he pays some hefty sum to buy out his contract.

Ali

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Going under the theory that hunter presented, had Axl delivered all of his contractual albums by 2008, instead of sitting on his thumbs.

Sky Dog wrote:

nobody has a clue right now as to what the current contract with Universal states...I imagine everything changed with the release of Chinese. Only thing we know is that Axl said in the chats that they are still under contract with Uni....which to me is NOT good.

Board footer