You are not logged in. Please register or login.

war
 Rep: 108 

Re: Chinese Democracy now $1.99

war wrote:

if gnr is stuck under contract. i would think axl could still release a solo album, couldn't he?

johndivney wrote:

no he might have to get agreement from his label before doing that? or else release the solo album with uni?

(y'know the way you see guests on albums saying "bugs bunny appears courtesy of warner bros studios", that kinda thing??)

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
madagas wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

We'll surely Axl didn't sign a LIFETIME fucking contract with Universal/Interscope/Geffen (at whatever point he signed the current one).

I could swear I read an interview back in the late 90's/early 2000's, that stated that they owed Geffen (at the time), like three studio albums under that deal. CD was one, and Axl owed them two more.

Ever since then, that's why fans have focused on the '3 albums' thing, plus Axl & Baz have mentioned 'three' albums before. Never a fourth. To my knowledge.

The quicker Axl gets those albums rolled out, the quicker he can get out of there.

Let's go.. come on... time is money man!

most Gnr fans are idiots.....and I am quite sure that EVERYTHING between Axl and Uni changed with the Chinese deal. Merck mentioned the "renegotiations"....Axl mentioned it as well. Remember Axl's letter about Merck and Merck's response?...late 2006 I believe. So, as of now, we really have no clue what "is owed".

I wish like hell they were independent but the fact is they aren't. hmm

Madagas, you are 100% right in that we don't know how many albums GN'R still owes the label.  But, as was pointed out, Axl himself said after CD came out they are still under contract with Universal Music.  My only point was that given that is the case currently, then cannot just "go independent".

Ali

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Naltav wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Yeah and if he walked into a Reznor type situation, he doesn't know how to promote himself or his music in the 21st century climate.

I'm pretty sure he could manage.

If he went indie, it's just a matter of setting up a simple online store package your album(s) in multiple ways with extra stuff.

Even Baz seems to ship out his merch from his house himself (I think I've seen him tweet about it).

As for promoting that new stuff are available, some quick and easy FB- and twitter-posts would get the word out to millions of people!

Jarmo or DJ A$hba would prolly LOVE to be in charge of stuff like this! smile

That's an incredibly good point. People might think DJ is a pimp, but if DJ was in charge of the music, it's release, and promotion for GN'R.

We'd have an album every year, and remixes and covers probably every damn week.

Hey, even i'd pick up my Ashba Swag card, if it meant a new GN'R single with a cover of Axl & DJ doing Randy Newman's "You've Got A Friend In Me".

I'm fuckin there Slinky!

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I think you're forgetting the fact that nobody cares about DJ.  Most people wouldn't consider him to even be in the band.  It's all Axl.  No Axl = no interest.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

If DJ was boss, we would have 3 albums, a GNR beer, GNR bedposts and GNR lamps by now.

And I'd buy it all.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I think you're forgetting the fact that nobody cares about DJ.  Most people wouldn't consider him to even be in the band.  It's all Axl.  No Axl = no interest.

That's not at all what I said. I said DJ was in charge in band affairs in promotion and taking care of the business aspects of representation and working with the material to put it on shelves.

If he was calling the shots - we'd be on the third LP of this year right now.

All Axl would have to do is show up for an interview with Eddie Trunk on That Metal Show, and watch the money roll in internationally.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Axlin is right on the money. If DJ was in charge, this bus would run on a completely different route.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

No it wouldn't.  No Axl = no interest.  DJ can promote it all he wants, he can release anything he wants.  It's not going anywhere without Axl promoting it.  CD barely went anywhere and it had years of pent up interest.  Now DJ is going to run things and he's going to create interest?  I don't think so.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

No it wouldn't.  No Axl = no interest.  DJ can promote it all he wants, he can release anything he wants.  It's not going anywhere without Axl promoting it.  CD barely went anywhere and it had years of pent up interest.  Now DJ is going to run things and he's going to create interest?  I don't think so.

I don't think they're talking about interest being created and GNR becoming the most dangerous band in the world again.  They're simply saying, those of us who still care, would be getting more from this band if DJ was "pulling the strings."

Now if your argument is that the record company, or whoever has to give the okay for the releases, wouldn't do so unless Axl is at the forefront, then you have a point.  But no one was claiming that DJ could take this band to new heights without Axl.

Board footer