You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: Chinese Democracy now $1.99

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

As soon as new cars started having USB ports for iPod/MP3 players, that was the final shovel-full of dirt being thrown on the coffin that was the music industry.

In about 5 years or so, the current young adult generation will be near 30, and the teens will be in their young adulthood, and will dominate the market and once that fully takes over - EVERYTHING - will be iPod/MP3 player-centric.

Physical albums (whether CD's or LP's) will simply be Limited Editions sold on artist websites for outrageous mark ups.

I can't believe BB still has 50% of their floor - CD's. No one buys those things except us old timers.

Wow, an old fart that actually gets it! 5

AtariLegend wrote:
axlgod wrote:

For us UK folks, Chinese Democracy is £1.00 in Whsmiths.

Yet it's 5.00 in HMV, the biggest music chain in the UK tongue. Same price as Kings Of Leon albums who are alot popular amoung the "NME Kids".

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

rose22
 Rep: 12 

rose22 wrote:

it's kinda sad

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Ok. I may get a copy now.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

^ 16

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Oh Buzz... how we love you. 14

BLS-Pride wrote:

I was at a Best Buy two weeks ago. For shits and giggles I decided to check the Guns section on the cds. Well they had a whole section of the rack for Chinese Democracy. I asked the women working there why were there so many and in her broken english she said " no one buy".

And I really don't think it's a comment on new Guns N' Roses, which is something i've grappeled with for awhile now. Had Chinese been released in 2001 or even 2002, when it was supposed to be, it would've done better on units alone, just because CD's were only slightly fading then, but the real effects wouldn't be felt until years later. This is including - no promo.

By late 2008, talk about 'after the fact'. No promo, had to do an exclusive with a big box just to unload the damn thing, before then they were already shopping Chinese for anyone to buy and distribute... in hind sight, it is sad like alot of others have mentioned.

Looking back - Chinese Democracy was the last anticipated ALBUM, to be released the old way. Almost like a tip of the cap to how music lovers used to anticipate the release of their favorite artist's new work.

The question for the future now, is how will success be measured? Used to it was on units sold, but now you can download individual songs off album releases, illegal downloads make up even more listens.

How will success be measured from now on? Plus, who the fuck needs a record company? Will it kill them? Anyone can release on iTunes, you don't even need a label.

Well, we will market on radio.... um.... no one listens to radio anymore either.

I honestly don't see how the major labels are going to stay alive, let alone the small ones. The whole game is gonna change in the next few years.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Oh Buzz... how we love you. 14

BLS-Pride wrote:

I was at a Best Buy two weeks ago. For shits and giggles I decided to check the Guns section on the cds. Well they had a whole section of the rack for Chinese Democracy. I asked the women working there why were there so many and in her broken english she said " no one buy".

And I really don't think it's a comment on new Guns N' Roses, which is something i've grappeled with for awhile now. Had Chinese been released in 2001 or even 2002, when it was supposed to be, it would've done better on units alone, just because CD's were only slightly fading then, but the real effects wouldn't be felt until years later. This is including - no promo.

By late 2008, talk about 'after the fact'. No promo, had to do an exclusive with a big box just to unload the damn thing, before then they were already shopping Chinese for anyone to buy and distribute... in hind sight, it is sad like alot of others have mentioned.

Looking back - Chinese Democracy was the last anticipated ALBUM, to be released the old way. Almost like a tip of the cap to how music lovers used to anticipate the release of their favorite artist's new work.

The question for the future now, is how will success be measured? Used to it was on units sold, but now you can download individual songs off album releases, illegal downloads make up even more listens.

How will success be measured from now on? Plus, who the fuck needs a record company? Will it kill them? Anyone can release on iTunes, you don't even need a label.

Well, we will market on radio.... um.... no one listens to radio anymore either.

I honestly don't see how the major labels are going to stay alive, let alone the small ones. The whole game is gonna change in the next few years.

Success will be measured primarily by touring profit. The better question is at what point will people get tired of paying to see live concerts? Perhaps never. But they have already shown that they prefer to not pay for their music downloads. The next step will be live video streams by audience members. The technology isn't there yet, but it's going to be in the near future.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Bands have always made their big money off touring, not album sales.

Pretty soon, I don't think you'll be able to buy single songs off iTunes anymore. Perhaps singles. You'll have to buy the whole thing. They'll get better at cracking down on downloaders, too.

Board footer