You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Chinese Democracy now $1.99

misterID wrote:

You know, I was thinking about that little melody in DDM and how killer it is. It just seems like a waste in that song. If it could have been put into something like Right Next Door To Hell, it could have sent that song into one of GNR's best.

I dig IRS, it's not one of my favorites, but I think it's cool song.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Don't Damn Me is one of the few songs in GN'R original catalog that was never performed live. It's also the only UYI I song to never be performed live. I believe Axl was asked about it's non-inclusion in the UYI sets around '92 or '93 or so, and said that he felt the studio version spoke for itself, and it didn't need to be played live, or at least something to that effect.

At least to my knowledge.

I think it would be impossible for him to sing live.  Not much time to catch a breath between verses.  If he struggles and has to go off stage for oxygen on normal songs, he'd never get through DDM.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
madagas wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

UYI is instrumentally brilliant on almost every song (with a few exceptions like DC, YATF, and Yesterdays).  Axl has a wide range from absolutely amazing to something a 10 year old could have written.  Fortunately he was amazing much more than he was a 10 year old.  It's hard to find much to pick apart instrumentally on UYI since even the bland stuff fits the song well.

shows your bias...not "brilliant" but damn solid.

The instrumentals are amazing.  Shows how tight they were as a band.  Some of the instrumentals are better than the album version (GITR anybody?).  You're free to disagree, but it's a valid opinion.  Having that opinion doesn't show my bias, it explains my opinions that you think are biased.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
madagas wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

UYI is instrumentally brilliant on almost every song (with a few exceptions like DC, YATF, and Yesterdays).  Axl has a wide range from absolutely amazing to something a 10 year old could have written.  Fortunately he was amazing much more than he was a 10 year old.  It's hard to find much to pick apart instrumentally on UYI since even the bland stuff fits the song well.

shows your bias...not "brilliant" but damn solid.

The instrumentals are amazing.  Shows how tight they were as a band.  Some of the instrumentals are better than the album version (GITR anybody?).

Agree. Bad Apples is another forgotten instrumental gem on UYI1.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Bad Apples is another forgotten great song PERIOD.

The whole fuckin' thing is bad ass.

Never understood the shit it got. Great great song. I guess people were just too tired by the time they got to the fourteenth cut on the album.

I also think it's one of Axl's greatest lyrical moments.

buzzsaw wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Don't Damn Me is one of the few songs in GN'R original catalog that was never performed live. It's also the only UYI I song to never be performed live. I believe Axl was asked about it's non-inclusion in the UYI sets around '92 or '93 or so, and said that he felt the studio version spoke for itself, and it didn't need to be played live, or at least something to that effect.

At least to my knowledge.

I think it would be impossible for him to sing live.  Not much time to catch a breath between verses.  If he struggles and has to go off stage for oxygen on normal songs, he'd never get through DDM.

Well he sang Garden of Eden live on the '93 shows, but it wasn't performed much.

I'd think that song would be harder than DDM.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Don't know if it would make the Top-5, but it's a great one.

Loved it from the very beginning. Believe it or not, back in the 90's, I loved the hell out of Breakdown, but it actually took me several listens to get into Estranged. Go figure.

Estranged is my favorite song of all time, by any artist.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Breakdown kinda starts as cheese, and has cheese moments in it. But the moments if brilliance in it, far outweigh the moments it is bad.

I was always hoping Slash would bust out Bad Apples with his live band, but Slash seems to play it fairly safe with his choice of GN'R material too.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

I am right on with what you guys are saying.
If I go back to the UYIs these days I head straight for the 'megaliths' like Breakdown, Coma, Pretty Tied Up etc as I enjoy all the changes in the tunes.

What strikes me about those tunes compared to the equivalent on CD is that they sound amazing (how the songs are knitted together), Axl's lyrics are amazing and the band sound so damn confident.

Board footer