You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: Not sure I agree with Axl being a "perfectionist"

-D- wrote:

This is one of those things that gets told so many times it somehow becomes factual. I just am not sure I buy the whole "Axl takes forever cause he is a perfectionist" line we have all repeated a million times.

Reasons being, no way a "perfectionist" releases the Oh My God demo as the first new material heard from the band.

no way Axl allows some of the versions of the songs that ended up on CD to come out that way. Some sound like Demo vocals "SOD,Maddy,Catcher etc" not to mention the no release strategy, the terrible booklet etc.

Also, live, GNR have the worst luck with production,mixing,sound.  Axl doesn't sound check, a perfectionist would soundcheck himself crazy.

A perfectionist, also, would have to have shows go off with as little going wrong as possible. we all know GNR shows can be quiet the train wreck with late starts and the above mentioned "technical" issues.

Axl is a "P" word, but it isn't perfectionist. Axl in my opinion is the ultimate "procrastinator"
Look up each word and tell me which one best fits.l

As far as Chinese Democracy taking so long. I honestly don't feel it had to do with being a perfectionist, I am convinced that it mainly had to do with finding the right band, right chemistry and writing the right songs.

I, to this day, still think the material just didn't measure up to Axl's liking and it took so long based on that and the procrastinating nature of Axl's recording habits. He admittedly didn't spend all that time recording or working. He also mentioned in that Abu Dhabi interview how the old stuff was hard to live up to in not so many words.

so if u can show me how he is a "perfectionist" please do so. I am sticking with procrastinator and maybe sometimes a bit insecure and a little of the band unable to produce what he considered GNR worthy material.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

I think Axl is 'obsessive' rather than a 'perfectionist'.

He didn't really rehearse with the band either, whereas guys like Freddie Mercury etc did 8 hours a day before tours. Mick Jagger was obsessive about this kind of thing also.

Bono & The Edge watch footage of how they did in each concert they play after the gig. (To the shock of Liam Gallagher witnessed this and had a pop at them in the press for it).

Axl just seems to get 'stuck' on things: Stephanie, Slash, lawsuits, drum sounds, guitar solos, band members etc and he gets in an ever tightening loop of obsessing on them.

Once he's 'stuck' everything else seems to go out the window, hence the big delays as he rinses these things through.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

In addition to Intercourse's point, I also think Axl likes to point fingers. Oh My God wasn't his fault- it was the studio or label or whatever the excuse was. He didn't want it released in that form. Am I misremembering? If not, doesn't it sound familiar?

So, he can maintain the illusion of being a perfectionist, when in reality he may just be obsessive and sometime stubborn about taking any blame or making decisions.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

P.S. Not to say that I don't have mucho man-love for the dude.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Insecure and flaky, sure.

That qualifies the 'stuck' part, I think. He's certainly boneheaded to have stuck with the band name, franchise and legacy, which, obviously, have proven to be one big two-edged sword any given day.

He could've delivered the album faster, if only his inner circle would've been more professional around him. Irving Azoff was great news, if only for the reason that the album did get released in his time.

Naturally, the album was two years late, because the pre-release was celebrated with a US tour in 2006. Merck's words in 2006 still come true. People still walk into Best Buys and found CDs there. In the bargain bin. The vinyl edition still comes with inner groove distortion.

These are just a few examples of events to which GNR has been linked to in the past decade. Not saying it's always and directly the bands fault, by they get more things thrown out the window than their peers (Metallica, for example).

There's a bit of perfectionism in Axl doing the Rocket Queen backing tapes in the studio, there's more obsession in doing the umpteenth orchestration instrument for November Rain.

His organization contributes, because he needs to be pretty isolated from the world in order to fully gain the drive he's after. Those manic performances dont come cheap, you know.

Sky Dog wrote:

First of all, Axl never said he was a perfectionist....other people do...fans, friends, enemies, the media. He is more obsessive compulsive in my opinion. hmm

Here is what I see....
  Borderline personality disorder (BPD) is a personality disorder described as a prolonged disturbance of personality function in a person (generally over the age of eighteen years, although it is also found in adolescents), characterized by depth and variability of moods. The disorder typically involves unusual levels of instability in mood; black and white thinking, or splitting; the disorder often manifests itself in idealization and devaluation episodes, as well as chaotic and unstable interpersonal relationships, self-image, identity, and behavior; as well as a disturbance in the individual's sense of self. In extreme cases, this disturbance in the sense of self can lead to periods of dissociation.
BPD splitting includes a switch between idealizing and demonizing others. This, combined with mood disturbances, can undermine relationships with family, friends, and co-workers. BPD disturbances also may include self-harm. Without treatment, symptoms may worsen, leading (in extreme cases) to suicide attempts.

Personality
disorders

Cluster A (odd)
Paranoid · Schizoid
Schizotypal

Cluster B (dramatic)
Antisocial · Borderline
Histrionic · Narcissistic

Cluster C (anxious)
Avoidant · Dependent
Obsessive-compulsive

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borderline … y_disorder

more B and C

BPD is closely related to traumatic events during childhood and to post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

^^ Wow... Good post, Mad.

Sky Dog wrote:

You can call me Dr. Gas.....I agree with D. No perfectionist would have ever allowed the record to be released the way it was.

skippy
 Rep: 33 

skippy wrote:

Hey didn't I get in trouble for calling Axl a BPD a few years ago?
smile

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Rock and Roll isn't suppose to be perfect.. Why do you think Chi Dem took so long.. Older versions of the album are so much better and "real".

Board footer