You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

Re: MyGNR closing for business

slcpunk wrote:

Doesn't MYGNR get much more activity now though? HTGTH used to be VERY busy back in the day. It's dead as shit now compared to back then.

HTGTH "wins" because it won over Axl and gets his support. It will never go out of business unless Jarmo decides to get a life, or a GF, neither of which will ever happen.

MYGNR is running a deficit, sucking money out of the admin's pocket, an admin who is hardly ever on the board and doesn't seem to care about GnR anymore. That being said pulling the plug is extremely difficult to do, even if you are no longer interested. It's your work, your time, your creation...there is just that weird attachment to a site, even if you don't give two fucks about it anymore. Letting go is hard. But man if your losing money every month, enough to make a nice car payment, at some point you've got to make a decision.

If Eric really wanted to keep it alive he'd ask for a specific amount of money. But I think the amount he requires EACH MONTH would probably grow old after a while to board members. It would be one thing to ask for money once a year like NPR, lol, people are fine with that. I asked for money for my board to move and host fees, and people kicked down some money, some really shocked me with how much they donated. But if I was asking for money every month, I can't see that working for too long.

I'm curious to see what happens. I'm also curious to see where all those fuckers go. I do feel like the "golden age" of the GNR boards peaked a few years ago when CD came out.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I think the fuckers will just log off. Maybe with a new album, the usership will maintain, and maybe even some older users will return and some newer users will appear.

But without that kind of momentum, even if it's just Shinedown-level activity from GN'R and the current Guns, I think most will just... log off.

As of now alot of MyGNR users are banned HTGTH users who hate the place with a passion and vice versa. I don't see some "invasion" situation happening where basically MyGNR & HTGTH merge, by HTGTH absorbing MyGNR's user base.

But if this new tour and the rest of the year is just business as usual, they're long gone. Even the old timers here at Evo have basically bailed because they're tired of Axl and his basically pointless activity as a musician, that's basically not active.

Back in 2006 was a golden age, unseen since 2001 because the mystery around CD was still hot on the iron. People were glad to be back and GN'R had gotten off a very successful summer European tour and there was a last shot at something significant.

But when the album didn't come, frankly it was a decline from that point forward to the issues that exist today. Post-CD ironically KILLED the internet community, rather than make it explode.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

There was a change when Buckethead left. No matter how great 2006 was, it still felt incomplete. And I'm sure some people felt cheated.  Why? because people were invested and excited about the 2002 band. The people who were there connected to THAT band. And yes, it was a band. It had it's own weird, unique look, with a real promise for the future. Bucket was a big part of that. Something died when he left. As a big fan of the new line up I'll freely admit, my interest didn't just dip, it dropped when he split. When Robin left and it was clear Brain wasn't coming back, it plummeted.

I was listening to some 2002 concerts yesterday and I swear, that band was a fucking beast. The new band, no matter how much they gel, or like each other, how great the camaraderie is, how well they co-exist and get along... They just can't match it. They just can't. Sorry, they can't.

The ironic part is, the shows in 2006 and 2009-12 have been far, far superior.

I will always call it a tragedy that the 2006 Axl didn't debut with that 2002 band. If he would have just waited and finished the album instead of going out on tour, this could be a different story. I'll always be of the opinion that that 2002 tour killed that line up. It hurt Axl creatively and business-wise. It hurt a lot of things. It set him back YEARS. I fully believe a album was on the horizon. I think he was forced to tour (which he has basically admitted) and he was so detached from everything that he didn't appreciate the magnitude of the problems Bucket was having with the other members of the band. Tommy is the alpha of that band outside Axl. There was and is a clique there. And they wanted Bucket out. The only reason Ron and DJ will last is because they know their role. Remember, Tommy didn't even want a replacement for Bucket. He just wanted Robin and Richard. 

I'm sure Tommy is being honest, and it was very telling, when he said that Bucket viewed GN'R as he and Axl. That probably did not set well with him and I'm sure (look at some of those 02 concert shows) that Tommy let him know he didn't like him. Add to that, Robin didn't like Bucket, was probably jealous of him, too.  And we have no idea what Axl meant when he said Merck also played a role in Bucket leaving. I think it says a lot that the emails MSL had of Tommy said that he understood what a loss Buckethead was. No shit...

You want to know what killed the community? 2002 did.

I'm still here because of Axl, and my wanting to hear the rest of what THAT band did, no matter how much it's changed. I don't give a shit if this band records anything together or not, tbh.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

2002 did not kill the internet community. The boards thrived for years afterwards. Maybe it was a sub par album that killed it and little to no follow up. Nostalgia tours killed the boards. Not 2002. The boards were lighting up in 2002. Despite no album, Axl's unimpressive performance on MTV, riots in Van and Philly, the aborted tour the boards were alive and kicking and did so right up untill the end of 2006. The boards died after 2006 came and went with no album, the bullshit "36 Tuesdays left" joke and then Axl's pathetic blame everyone letter in early 2007,  with a promise to man up and deliver which he again did not untill late 2008.  Post 2006 is what has killed the boards. Not 2002.

misterID

misterID wrote:

No, it was MUCH different. People had already heard CD for years before it was released. Nothing sub par about it, but your opinion. Once it was released, it was closure for a lot of people.

The boards were never the same after those initial leaks. It never had that level of activity. 2002-03 was the real peak of the community.

People just refuse to accept that there still is an audiance for this current line up and Axl, for their own reasons.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
misterID wrote:

I will always call it a tragedy that the 2006 Axl didn't debut with that 2002 band. If he would have just waited and finished the album instead of going out on tour, this could be a different story.

Axl was contractually obligated to tour in 2002.

The album was supposed to come out in 2001-2, and Sanctuary lured ClearChannel in to promote a comeback tour in the US.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
misterID wrote:

There was a change when Buckethead left. No matter how great 2006 was, it still felt incomplete. And I'm sure some people felt cheated.  Why? because people were invested and excited about the 2002 band. The people who were there connected to THAT band. And yes, it was a band. It had it's own weird, unique look, with a real promise for the future. Bucket was a big part of that. Something died when he left.

I've always thought this. I was beyond pumped for that version of GNR.

Bono

Bono wrote:
misterID wrote:

People just refuse to accept that there still is an audiance for this current line up and Axl, for their own reasons.

No dude this is just your fabricated bullshit. For you it's always about people having  personal agendas. Fact is there isn't a massive audience for this current lineup and Axl Rose is not the draw he once was. Get over it.  Is there an audience for this  lineup? Yes, just liek there is an audience for any band out there. Nobody refuses to accept that it's just not what you believe it to be and so you go on to make shit up like certain people refuse to accept there's an audience for it. Honestly where do you even come up with that shit?

misterID

misterID wrote:

You're the one going around telling everyone what their opinion is. Not only that, but what the world's opinion is. And you insult anyone who dare disagrees with you. It's the world according to Bono show. You keep stating your opinions as fact. You back this up because of what your friends, your borther, your mailman think, or according to your facebook friends poll. And you get mad and butthurt when these "scientific methods" are ridiculed. The successful tours around the world, the fact CD went platinum and was a critical success seem to be ignored by you. You seem to be the judge and jury on what matters. And it's for your own reasons. When CD debuted you went around this very forum arguing with anyone who praised it and telling people that Axl owed you something and you refused to buy it. That's deranged and I don't think anyone takes you serious on this board, save a few bitter old fans. Sorry.

Again, these are your hang ups, not anyone elses. Have at it.

Bono

Bono wrote:

Seriously dude you have massive fucking issues.  You go on and on about so many irrelvant things and you make up so much shit to serve your pointless purpose. Honestly check yourself cause you're clearly losing your mind.

the fact you are so hung up on what I think and then turn it around as though it's me saying this is how you need to think speaks volumes. I honestly think you're so insecure with your own fandom you have to do this to prove to yourself how loyal to Axl you are. Carry on though you just look more and more ridiculous each passing day.

Honestly me not buying the album has nothing to do with anything yet you seem to hold a grudge about that. I never once ignored or even attempted to discredit the critical reviews of CD. I think it's average at very best. "Successful tours" around the globe is pretty much up for debate BUT in your mind gettng through a  tour is a success because your fucking standards that come with beaten wife syndrom are so low you take anything as a success. you're the type that will see Axl taking a  shit as a success because at least he's active.   I'm actually starting to feel bad for you.

Board footer