You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

Re: May 21st, 2011 - Judgment Day

jamester wrote:

226956_10150186464271230_585056229_7390087_2087801_n.jpg

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Doomsday prophet, followers ‘flabbergasted’ world didn’t end
by Liz Goodwin-The Lookout / Yahoo! News

AP02121106531.jpg

It's hard to feel bad for someone whose doomsday predictions caused so much anxiety, but 89-year-old Harold Camping's recent admission that he's "flabbergasted" the world didn't end last weekend sounds somewhat pitiful.

"It has been a really tough weekend," Camping said Sunday, after emerging from his Alameda, California home for the first time to talk to a reporter from the San Francisco Chronicle. "I'm looking for answers ... But now I have nothing else to say," he said, adding that he would make a full statement today.

Camping's PR aide, Tom Evans, told the L.A. Times that the group is "disappointed" that 200 million true believers weren't lifted up to heaven on Saturday while everyone else suffered and eventually died as a series of earthquakes and famine destroyed the Earth. "You can imagine we're pretty disappointed, but the word of God is still true," Evans said. "We obviously went too far, and that's something we need to learn from." The group posted 2,000 billboards around the country warning of the rapture, while Camping--an uncertified fundamentalist minister--spread the word on his radio show.

Camping's Family Radio, which airs on 66 U.S. stations, has apparently rebranded itself quickly. Business Insider notes that the station's website has scrubbed all mentions of the Judgment Day. The site previously featured a countdown clock to the May 21 rapture on its homepage.

But the false prediction might not be so easily effaced from the lives of Camping's followers. The L.A. Times writes that Keith Bauer, a 38-year-old tractor trailer driver, took a road trip with his family to see the Grand Canyon before the world ended.

"With maxed-out credit cards and a growing mountain of bills, he said, the rapture would have been a relief," the paper writes.

But Bauer is not angry at Camping for his false prediction. "Worst-case scenario for me, I got to see the country," he told the paper. "If I should be angry at anybody, it should be me."

Robert Fitzpatrick, who spent $140,000 of his life savings to advertise the rapture in New York, said he was dumbfounded when life went on as usual Saturday.

"I do not understand why ...," he told Reuters while awaiting the event in Times Square. "I do not understand why nothing has happened."

An NPR reporter talked to two Camping followers on Sunday. "One man, his voice quavering, said he was still holding out hope that they were one day off. Another believer asserted that their prayers worked: God delayed judgment so that more people could be saved, but the end is 'imminent,'" she reported.

Evans, Camping's PR aide, told NPR he hopes Family Radio will reimburse followers who spent their savings in anticipation of the rapture, but that he can't guarantee it.

Protesters gathered outside Camping's radio headquarters to mock the false prophecy over the weekend. Some of them set aloft a toy cow with balloons to lampoon the idea that a select elite would ascend to heaven. Meanwhile, other religious groups tried to recruit disappointed Camping followers.

-----------------------

They're really REALLY disappointed earthquakes and famine didn't destroy the earth.

lmao 16

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

haha, thanks. I had fun doing that. 16

I like this one, found it today:

INSTALLING RAPTURE.
███████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 44% DONE.

Install delayed....please wait.

Installation failed. Please try again.

404 error: Rapture not found.

EVENT "Rapture" cannot be located. The rapture you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

this douchebag is now claiming that he mis calculated and in his new findings it has been determined that the world will be annhialated on oct 21, 2011

this guy is goin to hell either way, it hard to feel bad for dumb peopel but some peopel have actually donated their entire life savings to this guy....why he would need donations if the world was gonna ned is beyond me

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah I was going to post the "Oct. 21st" news article, but what's the point.

This guy is just an old fart, running his mouth off, hoping people will listen. I would fuckin' hate to live 89 years, and lose every ounce of credibility at 89. Gotta suck.

He makes a statement to say his 'miscalculated' the date (this is now the 2nd time he's been wrong, and now he's making a 3rd prediction), but he didn't release any kind of statement on the hundreds of thousands of dollars he swindled people out of to promote this thing.

If some people don't get their money back, he might not make it to Oct. 21st. Someone might take a shot at him first.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I was thinking that the other day....like who pays for this stuff...it's got a bigger marketing campaign behind it than a lot of bands....in news just to hand....I hear that this guy has 3 albums worth of genius new tracks wink

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Neemo wrote:

this douchebag is now claiming that he mis calculated and in his new findings it has been determined that the world will be annhialated on oct 21, 2011

this guy is goin to hell either way, it hard to feel bad for dumb peopel but some peopel have actually donated their entire life savings to this guy....why he would need donations if the world was gonna ned is beyond me

Seems to me like The Rapture is the new Chinese Democracy.  All these release dates.  I heard he predicted one back in 1994 as well.  Hopefully this one never comes out though.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Tornadoes and Hurricanes are considered 'leaks'. War bombing runs are 'live shows'.

Christians are considered 'beggars and hangers on' who keeps saying we're 99% there. 13 More Tuesdays left in the year.

Everyone keeps talking about how they've seen the tornadoes and it's "epic and mind-blowing and how much of a genius God is"

The ones who get lifted up to heaven are God's "private listening party"

Jimmy Iovine = the Pope

Harold Camping = Doug Goldstein or Merck

Then after the blown Oct. 21st deadline, God will issue a Press Release at the end of the year denouncing Camping's prediction and canceling all miracles to say he's going into the studio with Jesus and the Saints to finish up plans for the rapture and the Rapture should be delivered to the Church in 8 weeks or so

Then nothing happens

Yeah man, that sounds like ALOT of fun. 16

P.S. - hey it might be cornball, but I thought it was funny, and the parallels are eerie 14

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Errant 'Rapture' Prophet Harold Camping Suffers a Stroke
by Erik Hayden / The Atlantic Wire-Yahoo! News

Last Thursday, the elderly pastor and Family Radio host best known for birthing an all-consuming "May 21st" rapture meme suffered a stroke and was hospitalized. The Oakland Tribune reported that the 89-year-old Harold Camping's voice "may never be the same" after suffering a stroke that left his speech "a little bit slurred" according to a unnamed neighbor.

Back when we thought the rapture prophecy was both humorous (look at this van) and deeply sad (too many naive supporters lost their life savings for a lie), it was impossible to ignore the frequent jokes about Harold Camping's age factoring into his apocalyptic prognostication. "He's 89. Actuarially speaking, he's probably not that far off," quipped Jon Stewart about the Family Radio host before the May 21st date.

As of now, it appears unclear if/when Camping will return to his perch as broadcaster on Family Radio. Fox News relayed a message from his manager stating that an update on his health will be issued today. If he does return to the radio, he'll be back in the limelight in a few short months: due to a slight miscalculation, the full-blown apocalypse forecast is now scheduled for October 21st.

-------------------

No comment 14

Board footer