You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: ASHBA Says 'Genius' AXL ROSE Has Three Albums' Worth Of Music Recorded

monkeychow wrote:

"The stuff I've heard… I've been up in his hotel room many nights and he just sits down at the piano and plays. I'm like, 'This is amazing. People have to hear this song.' And he's like, 'Ah, this is something I'm tinkering on.'

I totally believe that.

For me it doesn't need to be 3 albums - it could be one single song - Axl has written some amazing songs....I'd find it harder to believe that he suddenly lost all creativity and musical ability than I do the idea that he still writes music alone but hasn't yet shared it.

Getting into numbers like 3 albums worth just generates expectations...but the point to me is that he's got a gift for writing songs and he's clearly written/writing SOME that we don't know.

I just pray that one day he shares with us.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

This all feels so very 2003....

Sky Dog wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

The three albums pipe dream died when Axl admitted he didn't have that much material during one of those chat/interviews after CD was released.

Memo to rotating lineup: Its ok to stop blowing smoke up our asses about three albums. Axl killed that rumor himself, and while he contradicts himself on various issues, I do believe him on this particular issue.

Axlin08 wrote:

Imagine a UYI II, with Estranged left off of it. Because Axl needs to 'tinker' with it more.

Thank GOD someone convinced them to release both of those albums at the same time, and not an EP, with an album later in 1992. We might never have gotten the Illusions.

Axl admitted years later he was pressured into releasing that in its current(at the time) state and would never allow that to happen again.

The CD saga makes more sense from that standpoint.

Ashba went on to tell Triple M presenter Nui Te Koha that most of Axl’s new tracks will never see the light of day.

Make up your mind. One minute you say you're working on an album daily that could be released at some point, now you're back to this.

For the love of God bring back Bucket and Finck and have some of these guys exit stage left. Pretty please. With a cherry on top. I'd rather have those two be mute and possibly working on something than to always see this guy pimping his crap.

Actually, I am quite sure Axl has 3 albums of material and tons of ideas for other songs. I am also quite sure he is very talented as everyone who works with him past and present will attest to that. I just don't think he is willing to release his music...for whatever reason. To us fans, the reasons don't matter. You either release music or you don't. He doesn't.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I finally got around to listening to the Howard Stern/Scott Weiland interview today, and some of what they discussed relates here.  Scott, and most rock artists for that matter, seemed quite put off by the music industry.  He said what we've all known for years now.  That you just can't sell rock records these days.  At least not to the level where it would be profitable for you in terms of time, effort, and output.  The only way to make it in the business is to tour, and tour off the music that people care about, the classics.

So why would Axl be in any hurry to release another album, never mind 3 more albums?  Albums don't sell, there's no money in it.  He can continue to get paid large sums of money every couple of years by touring off the back catalog.  He seems to have a bit of "the world is against me" complex.  The world has spoken, that they just don't care about GNR version 5.0, or whatever we're at now.  So again, what's the benefit for him to go all in and release music nowadays?

Hopefully I'm being overly negative, or I'm just caught up in Weiland's depression, it just doesn't seem like things have gotten any better between the band and the label since CD's release, and rock music sales continue to plummet.  Not exactly signs of great things to come.

Also, DJ had said previously that they were working on new music.  I don't remember him ever saying that he was working WITH Axl.  We know the drill by now.  Axl's got a bunch of songs leftover.  Whoever is in the band at the time, puts their spin on things, then maybe we hear it in 10 years.  I don't see the fault in anything DJ said.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ Yes i've thought for a long time that the current industry model of "release an album just as promotion for shows" only works until the band hits critical mass then where's the motivation to release new material - if all the audience cares about are the classic hits.

Then again - two bands in that senario have sold their balls off recently. Metallica - most people who go to the shows either go for Puppets/Justice (the older fans) or Black Album/Loaded (the casual less metalhead) fans. But dealth magnetic still did well - and fans seem to eat it up live too.

Then there's AC/DC. 8 years of absense from the scene. Released Black Ice. Goes gangbusters....band plays a mostly classic hits set with 2 or 3 new tracks thrown in and makes a couple of hundred mill or whatever. Could have done it anyway - but Black Ice totally gave them an excuse.

So there's hope. Also - it shouldn't be discounted that artists may want to release music for the artistic value of it. Maybe not - but maybe aside from the commerical side there's a desire in some people to contribute songs for the sake of posterty and others and all that. One day I hope to release an album for the sake of it. Especially if Axl were making enough money from casual tours to survive - and there was no need to do it according to business rules - perhaps he mighrt share some music for a different reason...like just cos he likes the song or soemthing.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

Wow, this guy is still talking?  Take a page from Ron and just pass on the GN'R questions. 

I'm surprised he didn't say something like, "AXL WAS WRITING NEW MATERIAL ON THIS NEW ASHBALAND GUITAR THAT YOU CAN ALL GET ON MY WEBSITE FOR $599." 

This guy's a fuckin tool.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Then again - two bands in that senario have sold their balls off recently. Metallica - most people who go to the shows either go for Puppets/Justice (the older fans) or Black Album/Loaded (the casual less metalhead) fans. But dealth magnetic still did well - and fans seem to eat it up live too.

Then there's AC/DC. 8 years of absense from the scene. Released Black Ice. Goes gangbusters....band plays a mostly classic hits set with 2 or 3 new tracks thrown in and makes a couple of hundred mill or whatever. Could have done it anyway - but Black Ice totally gave them an excuse.

So there's hope. Also - it shouldn't be discounted that artists may want to release music for the artistic value of it.

Couldn't agree more!  22

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I agree there are still reasons to release music.  At the same time though, with what Axl/GNR went through with their last release, I wouldn't blame them if they were put off by the whole process and were in no rush to go through it again. 

While CD sold well, relatively speaking, a majority of those sales came in the first few months.  Any additional release will most likely not sell as well, just due to the ever declining industry.  Axl doesn't like to promote, and nobody really cares about anyone else in the band at this point.  Axl's at odds with the record company.  Plenty of people have described what a mess it was recording "Chinese Democracy", most recently Tommy.

I'm not saying we WON'T get another album.  I'm just saying, there are plenty of reasons as to why we wouldn't.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

Actually, I am quite sure Axl has 3 albums of material and tons of ideas for other songs.

Tons of ideas? Sure. Albums? Unlikely. The man himself killed the three album pipe dream yet we're supposed to believe it again because the newest member says it? It wasn't true all those years Baz and others said it, but now its true since Ashba joined? When did this third album materialize? During the 2007-11 period when Ron said the band had worked on nothing?

I admire your optimism but when Axl says he doesn't have three albums....he doesn't have three albums. He should have corrected himself years ago after the comments at that show in 2002 fueled the initial speculation.

He said what we've all known for years now.  That you just can't sell rock records these days.  At least not to the level where it would be profitable for you in terms of time, effort, and output.  The only way to make it in the business is to tour, and tour off the music that people care about, the classics.

Scott Weiland....the guy who released a new STP record last year and is releasing a solo album this year? For someone not interested in releasing albums he sure as hell seems to do it a lot.

So why would Axl be in any hurry to release another album, never mind 3 more albums?  Albums don't sell, there's no money in it.  He can continue to get paid large sums of money every couple of years by touring off the back catalog.  He seems to have a bit of "the world is against me" complex.  The world has spoken, that they just don't care about GNR version 5.0, or whatever we're at now.  So again, what's the benefit for him to go all in and release music nowadays?

While albums don't sell as much as they did in previous decades, they do still sell. Albums that no one wants to listen to are the albums that don't sell. You can buy CD for the price of a Coke yet it still cant hit the bottom of the top 200 chart which only takes from 1-2k copies to do.

Go tell Lady GaGa, U2, etc. that albums don't sell.

Of course he can tour off the past which is most likely the direction the rest of his career will take unfortunately.

Also, DJ had said previously that they were working on new music.

Yeah and Ron killed that by saying the band hadn't worked on anything. One of the reasons I respect the guy. He's the real deal and not interested in blowing smoke up our asses.

Two great examples and also look at the grunge era bands. They aren't going the nostalgia route. Pearl Jam consistently releases new material, AIC came back with a hit record, and Soundgarden is supposed to be working on a new album even though the current tour dates are selling like hotcakes.

All other bands can do it but mysterious forces prevent GNR from doing it?

OK......

Board footer