You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Weiland joined VR for money

monkeychow wrote:
jorge76 wrote:

[but to me thie difference between him and an Axl, Slash, or Weiland is he isn't trying to climb back to where he was in 92 most of the time.

I don't really see Axl as trying to climb back to where he was in 1992.

Surely if that was a legitimate goal he'd do press interviews, release music more often, do promo competitions and activities like they old "MTV is selling Axl's house" thing and all kinds of stuff like that. While GNR was always been GNR, it's fair to say that it generally functioned a little more like a normal band back in the day in terms of publicity and so on.

Let alone the obvious formula for gaining mainstream acceptance back: patch it up with Izzy and Slash/Duff/Matt - record an EP and tour that.

But that he chooses to do what he does now, suggests to me that he is happier not doing those things than to dance the dance and whatever else would be needed just to get back to the top.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

patton is pretty awesome ... but i admit that alot of his stuff is too out there for me i did see him perform with Tomahawk opening for tool though that was pretty sweet...he later came out and performed a tune with TooL too

was a big fan of FNM back in the day ... though i only really got into Real Thing and Angel DUst...things before and after I wasnt into at all

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
jorge76 wrote:

[but to me thie difference between him and an Axl, Slash, or Weiland is he isn't trying to climb back to where he was in 92 most of the time.

Surely if that was a legitimate goal he'd do press interviews, release music more often, do promo competitions and activities like they old "MTV is selling Axl's house" thing and all kinds of stuff like that. While GNR was always been GNR, it's fair to say that it generally functioned a little more like a normal band back in the day in terms of publicity and so on.

Let alone the obvious formula for gaining mainstream acceptance back: patch it up with Izzy and Slash/Duff/Matt - record an EP and tour that.

But that he chooses to do what he does now, suggests to me that he is happier not doing those things than to dance the dance and whatever else would be needed just to get back to the top.

Yeah, I don't see Axl in that light either for the reasons Monkey mentioned.  I assume you're referring to living off the old lineup's catalog?  I guess I could see that, but if not, I don't see it at all.  I don't think he's anything like he was in 1992 in terms of popularity, drive, success, you name it.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
faldor wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
jorge76 wrote:

Yeah, I don't see Axl in that light either for the reasons Monkey mentioned.  I assume you're referring to living off the old lineup's catalog?  I guess I could see that, but if not, I don't see it at all.  I don't think he's anything like he was in 1992 in terms of popularity, drive, success, you name it.

Yeah, that's at least partially what I meant, along with diva-like behaviour that you can somewhat get away with when you're on top of the world, but most people won't accept when you're in your late 40's and not burning up the charts anymore.   

Also, and this is obviously all just speculation on my part, I think Axl fully expected the world to come to him without him having to get off his ass and dance the dance.  To add Weiland and Slash in there, when they were told they needed to write better songs I think they just thought "fuck you, we're a supergroup, we can do what we want and people will come to us" and just knocked out Libertad as quick and easy as possible. 

There's just a million things that lead to a state of Arrested Development that I'll bet would be hard not to develop given the situations they were put in at the ages they were.

Maybe it's all more the fault of sycophants and yes-men but in their heads they're much closer to the level of fame/success they had in the early 90's than the reality of where they actually are now.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I agree with Jorge. I think Axl has some diva shit with that. He doesn't want to have people all in his face constantly like in '92, but at the same time I think he thought Loder and MTV would be up his ass and come crawling to him with CD... obviously no one cared.

Loder would've been there had the album dropped in 2002. By the time 2006, and especially 2008 rolled around, guys like Loder and Norris were fossils with no real influence. Plus MTV didn't even really involve themselves with music anymore other than showing the VMA's every year.

So if Axl showcases on MTV2 - guess what? - nobody watches it.

Axl would be better served in 2011 cozing up to Eddie Trunk, That Metal Show, and VH1 Classic to do HIS KIND of promo.

Lomax wrote:

If he truly did join for the money it puts him in the same league of every non axl member of nu-gnr...  so what

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Riad wrote:

If he truly did join for the money it puts him in the same league of every non axl member of nu-gnr...  so what

I don't think anyone's really arguing that, or criticizing Scott for it.  A majority of musicians are in the business for the money.  They may start out doing it for their love of music, and as long as they don't make money, it'll stay that way until they move on to something else.  But once they start making cash and get ensconced in the horror that is the music industry, it's all about money.  Well, at least, mostly.

Sky Dog wrote:

anybody who puts a product up for sale is in it for the money....some are just more willing to compromise their artistic integrity more than others.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
faldor wrote:
Riad wrote:

I don't think anyone's really arguing that, or criticizing Scott for it.  A majority of musicians are in the business for the money.  They may start out doing it for their love of music, and as long as they don't make money, it'll stay that way until they move on to something else.  But once they start making cash and get ensconced in the horror that is the music industry, it's all about money.  Well, at least, mostly.

And also, Weiland is seemingly taking a dig at Slash & Duff, when Weiland himself cut a fucking Christmas album.

He comes across as a hypocritical douche.

Sky Dog wrote:

he is a jerk off and always has been....call me an Axl nutswinger, but that clown never could and never will be able to hold Axl's jock....much less swing from his nuts! 16

Board footer