You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Re: The Tommy Stinson Thread

Mikkamakka wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

This has to be one of his best quotes regarding the CD saga....

"There were guys who'd never ever made a record putting out their ideas. At first, those of us who'd actually made records thought their ideas sucked, but there were also some good ones."

Yeah, this was the Tommy quote I was referring to in another thread. No wonder that Slash, Duff and Matt didn't like the idea of Paul Huge writing for the band.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah it's so obvious who he's talking about.

Even today Slash & Duff's intestines cramp up when the name Paul Huge is mentioned.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

Yeah, this was the Tommy quote I was referring to in another thread. No wonder that Slash, Duff and Matt didn't like the idea of Paul Huge writing for the band.

Definitely a dig at Huge but could also easily be a dig at Finck as he had done nothing at that point in time as well.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Yeah, I thought Tommy had something similar before, and it was hinting at Robin as well.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

Definitely a dig at Huge but could also easily be a dig at Finck as he had done nothing at that point in time as well.

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought as well.  In fact, I thought it was more likely he was talking about Finck because Paul Tobias ended up with several writing credits on CD.

Ali

Sky Dog wrote:

My guess is Finck and Tobias but Tobias/Huge was the source of definite "tension" according to the Spin 99 article...

PAUL HUGE, guitar: Another childhood friend of Axl's, Huge is "the kind of guy who's always in the studio," according to temporary GN'R drum programmer Chris Vrenna. Another source says there's tension between him and Stinson because Huge "has the whole Guns attitude but he's never toured."

Let's be honest, Tommy is the only guy in the new Gnr who you could of plugged in the old Gnr and he would have been right at home after he figured out that the old band was really just like him. He didn't know it during the 87-91 time frame but I am quite sure he knows it now....especially after hanging some with Izzy and Duff.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
madagas wrote:

My guess is Finck and Tobias but Tobias/Huge was the source of definite "tension" according to the Spin 99 article...

PAUL HUGE, guitar: Another childhood friend of Axl's, Huge is "the kind of guy who's always in the studio," according to temporary GN'R drum programmer Chris Vrenna. Another source says there's tension between him and Stinson because Huge "has the whole Guns attitude but he's never toured."

The tension is another story, in my opinion, apart from, or not directly related to, the songwriting.  Though, I'm sure any personal tension would make working together harder.

I remember an interview with Tommy when he was in Europe touring his solo album and he confirmed that he clashed with Paul Tobias initially, but also said that in the end they ended up getting along o.k.

Ali

Sky Dog wrote:

I am sure Tommy was frustrated with the recording process as well. He had been making records since he was 15. Although he initially took the job for money, he was there artistically as well, and he had well documented pedigree. Guys like Howerdel, Tobias, and Finck were likely jokes to him at that point. These guys were literally amateurs.

Now, Tobias ended up with some killer credits, but I would be interested to hear what Tommy, now,  really thinks about the credits on the album....and the initial recording band in 98-99. cool

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

The tension comes from the fact that no veteran musician in the history of music likes having an amateur tell them how to lay down takes.

I remember when that Constantine douche trys to tell Brian May (a guest of American Idol) to play a Queen song differently for him (don't remember which one) for QUEEN NIGHT, not Constantine night... and you know how likeable, down to earth, and quiet a demenor that Brian May has. When this amateur told him this, his whole attitude flipped instantly and you could tell how stunned and defensive he was. He basically told the guy the song was the song, and he was not playing it different.

I'm just saying, these guys take it personally. Slash & Duff obviously did in the mid-90's, and you could tell how quickly Tommy had reservations.

Remember, Tommy also was probably taking orders from Paul, with Axl not even there, but on the fucking phone listening. Thomas Eugene Stinson is gonna let Paul Huge take lead?

I can see where that immediately created tension. Finck being on lead guitar and being a total amateur (still is), probably started alot of inner shit too.

madagas wrote:

Let's be honest, Tommy is the only guy in the new Gnr who you could of plugged in the old Gnr and he would have been right at home after he figured out that the old band was really just like him. He didn't know it during the 87-91 time frame but I am quite sure he knows it now....especially after hanging some with Izzy and Duff.

Alot of guys from that "we're too cool for school" punk ass attitude from alt rock and grunge have changed their opinions.

Come on, Dave Grohl jamming with Slash & Duff shows how much shit has changed.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

The tension comes from the fact that no veteran musician in the history of music likes having an amateur tell them how to lay down takes

there it is in a nutshell.

Paul Huge thought he was Axl's right hand man so started giving it some attitude. He forced out Slash and Matt with Duff finally quitting. From what Tommy is saying, the carry on continued when he arrived.

Maybe Axl saw the 'real' Paul while they were on tour and just told him to fuck off home..?

Board footer