You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Led Zeppelin Discussion

Axlin16 wrote:

You know I think that's actually a really good idea the more i've thought about it years after Zeppelin did it.

What if

What if these bands that people have ached for, pleaded for full reunions, the biggest being bands like Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, GN'R, Genesis, etc.

Especially considering GN'R, considered the option of turning their bands into a "film like" quality. Like movies that have sequels.

So in 2013 GN'R do a full reunion show in LA, big stadium affair ala UYI but with Izzy & Steven as well as Matt & Dizzy, big ass deal.

And that's it.

Then in five years or so, they do a sequel show, like GN'R The Reunion Part II: Axl's Revenge or some shit and do it somewhere else and with each show they release live DVD's/Blurays/Audio CD's of the event, and with each show they might debut a small EP worth of new songs, 3-4, like just a few singles.

And that's it. That's the band and how it exists. I would MUCH rather have that and have Axl & Slash & Duff & Izzy than what they're doing now.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ That would have been cool.

I mean Ac/Dc are a bit that way - like smash out an album and epic tour...then go quiet for years on end...then do it again.

Realistically, I just wish Axl n SLash had sorted it out enough just to do a guest spot together on Slash's album.

Like I totally get why they don't want to spend their lives together all the time, or always write with each other, but like  a 1 track thing could have been doable remotely even.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I think what helps the GN'R situation, is based on what Axl has kinda of alluded to in recent years is he still has mad respect for Slash as an artist and as a guitar player. Like he remembers LIKING that his voice was next to Slash's guitar.

Rather than it being about the music...

Axl's beef is a personal deal. Now the con to that is it takes longer to repair, the pro to that is is if it can be remotely patched up... the music would come roaring back imo. Axl seems to like and respect artistically that he was associated with those guys. I think that's a HUGE block to why GN'R 2009-12 hasn't moved an inch on recording. I don't think Axl's all that inspired. He lacks the passion he had for even Robin & Bucket, let alone Slash, when talking about those guys.

I think if a guy like Slash were artistically re-introduced back into his GN'R life in-studio, no strings, you might suddenly see him show up at 4pm in studio to record, rather than 4am.

jmho

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ Not Sure.

I've often got the impression that while Axl once loved Slash's guitar work - he lost inspiration for guitar based tracks somewhere around the UYI era.

To me this is demonstrated by his obvious passion for the songs not driven by guitar (November Rain etc), to his recent comments about a barrage of guitar material being dumped on him, to the issues that arose when Slash was pushing 5'Oclock which is perhaps his most 70s guitar inspired material, to the fact that chinese democracy from a writing perspective seems almost devoid of guitar based tracks (just power chords and solos added to existing melodies), to the fact that Axl has resisted a reunion even in the face of Slash clearly establishing himself as the rock guitarist of his generation (via not just GNR but continued public acclaim with VR, solo works, guest spots etc). To me I think maybe Axl's just done with Slash's style.

Then again it's hard to know. As it seems distrust between the two has been fostered over the years. I'm not so sure Axl has mad respect for Slash as a player as you imply. Re-recording the SCOM solo with Robin on Big Daddy was in guitar terms an utter abomination of one of the most classic guitar solos of all time. Do I need to mention getting additional solo work added to SFTD without even telling slash? He's also stated publicly that Slash lost his edge but that 'sometimes' it's still there on covers. And the official site at one stage republished an article saying that the UYI records are bad....and Axl himself has said that Slash should have quit after AFD...implying he no longer values subsequent recordings.

Axl's hurt over the feud with Slash seems to have totally coloured his opinion on Slash's talent and even their own works together.

It would be cool if you were right, but you're talking about a guy who says on record he prefers death to any kind of reunion.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

He also has left the door cracked open on the reunion on record too. As madagas says "He's all over the place".

But I think Axl said somewhere else that he felt Slash was better than he was during the UYI period. He felt he didn't push himself enough, but not that he was talentless.

Bottom line, whatever Axl was wanting from the UYI sessions, he felt Slash just didn't deliver what he wanted, despite the liner props.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Dammit, can't even go into a Zeppelin thread without seeing Axl/Elvis shit. 16

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
RussTCB wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Dammit, can't even go into a Zeppelin thread without seeing Axl/Elvis shit. 16

14 my bad.

Well Axlin12 was talking about Axl and GN'R above, so it's not totally your fault. 16

Board footer