You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: DJ ASHBA Recalls 'Funny' Bar Fight Involving AXL ROSE -

Neemo wrote:
Cramer wrote:

It's because Ashba is a B or even a C list performer. He's a cheap Crue replica that's simply not at the level required to be in GNR. His involvement cheapens the brand, and that's after we've already accepted a revolving door of talented musicians.

how do you figure that he is a B or C level performer? how do you even quantify that?

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I don't understand that either. DJ owns Robin any day, and is a better actual writer too.

I also agree with Neemo. This is the most Guns N' Roses - Guns N' Roses has been since The Spaghetti Incident/1993 band with Gilby & Matt.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I could be talked into agreeing that image wise he is a crue replica - his tatts and dress sense - he looks like he could be in the crue or a related band.

But talent wise he's a very capiable guitarist and it seems a pretty good composer on the musical front.

And i wouldn't call Sixx:Am a C level act either. He's "next generation" in that he's clearly inspired by the original LA scene and is a bit younger and still sort of working his way up - but now he's in GNR and Sixx:Am I'd say he's at a pretty good level.

He also brings the blues rock approach back to the band, and I think using him with Bumble's guitar pyrotechnics is kinda the best solution to being able to play the old and new cataloge accurately.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I don't mind DJ as a guitar player, but he's pushing 40.  His working his way up days are behind him.  He's not going to suddenly turn into an untapped resource of writing genius.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
Neemo wrote:
Cramer wrote:

It's because Ashba is a B or even a C list performer. He's a cheap Crue replica that's simply not at the level required to be in GNR. His involvement cheapens the brand, and that's after we've already accepted a revolving door of talented musicians.

how do you figure that he is a B or C level performer? how do you even quantify that?

Because I think he is, that's why. It's my opinion that he is not at the level required to be in this band. Perhaps it was just one line up change too many, but I don't think so. I think he's total cheese.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Well if that's true, then NO ONE since 1993 has been on the level to be in the band. Maybe that's why they haven't replicated their success?

Robin Finck (the Paul Huge of NIN)

Buckethead (mega-talented but his eccentric-image destroyed him)

Ron Thal (image and rep is solid, but musically he might be better w/ Lita Ford)

Paul Tobias (who?)

Richard Fortus (makes Gilby Clarke look like Izzy Stradlin)

Tommy Stinson (this guy is pure old Guns, and just now has realized it)

Brain (were the hip hop drums Axl's thing, or was Brain trying to do Praxis funk? Either way, it's not GN'R)

Frank Ferrer (other than Tommy, I think this guy is pure old GN'R. Adler II)

Dizzy Reed (the man... next)

Chris Pitman (Jack of All Trades, nothing against him)

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

I really can't explain it, but ever since Ashba joined, me whole stance on this being GNR has changed

I think fans just have 'member fatigue' plus a serious lack of anything to grab onto to stay connected with the band.

DJ arrived and started talking about himself and GNR like he's been there forever. He's a relentless self promoter but to me is very much Z list. Like the rest of the new band except for Tommy, he has no pedigree.
He is a pro, a great player but just another honcho working the circuit as best he can. 

When I saw the original band for the first time in Germany in 1991, I just stared awestruck at Axl, Slash, Izzy and Duff. I had read so much about them and their mad but totally unique journey from the streets to the stadiums in 4 years. They were playing the songs they had written live in front of me; drunk, sloppy but on fire and REAL.

GNR now is just a big legal entity with some pretty slick pro-musicians dropped in to deliver the sound on stages around the world. There is no STORY any more. Its all just for keeping Axl's world funded and functioning.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

russtcb wrote:
TheSundanceKid wrote:

But I have no interest in this band with DJ Ashba involved, to me it is as embarrassing as liking Bon Jovi.

I really can't explain it, but ever since Ashba joined, me whole stance on this being GNR has changed. And before everybody gets all excited about the revolving door prior; I am well aware of how many people came and went in GNR before Ashba joined.

But for some reason, even when Bucket disappeared and Ron replaced him, then Brain disappeared -mid tour- and Frank replaced him, I still viewed it as Guns N' Roses. It very much felt, sounded and looked like Guns N' Roses to me.

But something changed around the time Ashba joined. Literally ever since that day, it hasn't felt like Guns N' Roses to me anymore. As I said, I know it's weird/odd, whatever, but it's my true feelings.

That's exactly how I feel brother.

I just think when you lose every guitarist from your Chinese Democracy era, that it becomes a joke. I like Ron, but without the Finck Tank, I can't accept. I know that it has had a revolving door, but still. Robin Finck has been on and off in the band since 1998 and losing him just blew in my mind.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Funny how the Slash fans have been told in the past years that they are 'living in the past' by some of those people who are now missing Finck or Bucket so badly and loudly. It's not against you, but interesting. Seems like most of the GN'R fans are now living in the past, a few in the future, but none in the present time.

Board footer