You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Post your favourite fookin' GNR songs and tell us why!

RussTCB wrote:

removed

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

It's So Easy. Favorite track on AFD and it's GNR in a nutshell. Also have a lot of great memories that I associate with this song.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Rocket Queen and Breakdown have long been at the top of my list.  And while I do love the songs on Chinese Democracy, I still find it hard to rank them in comparison with the songs I've been listening to 20 or so years now.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I think Estranged is probably my favourite, like Axlin the lyrics seem to fit my life perfectly. Its a masterpiece and I think it could be Axl and Slash's finest moment together. Its a damn shame about the video though, I find it pretty unbearable now and it does the song no justice. Mabye no video would do it justice, its one of those songs where it should be all about just enjoying the exquisite craftsmanship of the music piece.

Olorin

Olorin wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

There's one song on CD that speaks to me in that way, and it's...

Just a warning... pure awesomeness occurs at the 4:05 mark.

Its a fantastic song, the album version is pretty powerful as well, but the 01/02 performances blow it out the water.
I hope that if this phantom remix album ever surfaces we'll get the old version of Maddy.

Olorin

Olorin wrote:
Bono wrote:

November Rain for so many years was my favorite song of all time but in the early part of the 2000's my love for it slowly faded not sure why. Maybe I didn't relate to it anymore. Within the last six months though it's come full circle and it means a lot to me now and it's got that big nostalgia factor going for it.  It's not my favorite song of all time anymore but right now it's my favorite Gn'R song. As time goes on though that may change again but I guess what it boils down to is there's never been another Gn'R song that I've considerd as my definitve favorite so I guess ultimately it is November Rain 

I think Estranged deserves some huge honorable mentions though. The ending of that song is so damn epic. It means a lot to me as well but I guess there's just something about your "first love" and November Rain was my first love as far as songs go. All other songs were just  crushes up to that point.

Another masterpiece, whenever I listen to this I cant help but get a feeling of awe towards Axl for all the effort he put into piecing this together. I remember the stories of him sitting up for nights on end with synthesizers he barely knew how to use and going through all the programs and thousands of pre-programmed sound effects to find the perfect bells, whistles and strings to mould into something wonderful. Amazing.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

RE: Welcome To The Jungle
--- This is #2 favorite. Coma USED to be for many years, but in recent years has gotten bumped down the list a little further for my undying love from some of the big rockers from AFD. Jungle is still the best and still holds up. The song is still just pure aggression and represents everything that AFD band (sorry James) was about. It's had the amazingly ability to transcend each band and still remain the same song, all balls, no matter what era of Guns it's been played in, which I find amazing. I always thought it was pretty funny that my #1 song was Estranged (which some freak out about), but I always backed it up with Jungle being my #2 for the purists for the "street band Guns".

RE: November Rain
--- There was a time (pardon the expression) that November Rain ranked HIGH on the list. And to this day it's in my Top-10. At one time it was my absolute favorite, unrivaled, on UYI I. The production is ace, and other than Estranged, was probably never tighter on any GN'R song. Everything about the song is perfect. Even the grandiosity of it works for the song, not against it. Axl's piano work is beyond brilliant and is rock legendary up against anything that ever came from Freddie Mercury or Elton John. If no one ever remembers anything about Guns N' Roses, other than November Rain - i'd be proud of that if I were Axl.

faldor wrote:

Rocket Queen and Breakdown have long been at the top of my list.  And while I do love the songs on Chinese Democracy, I still find it hard to rank them in comparison with the songs I've been listening to 20 or so years now.

I hear what you're saying. Believe it or not, I do believe that There Was A Time, Madagascar & This I Love are all strong enough to at least be considered among the best. But I do realize that alot of people have differing opinions on what is or isn't strong on CD. Some think it all sucks, some think it all rules, some like Shackler's, some hate it, some like Scraped, some hate it, some like This I Love, some hate it, etc.

There are songs from the old band where there is unanimous agreement that the songs are all-time. I don't see any kind of agreement consensus like that with the CD songs, other than maybe There Was A Time. Even Better has it's naysayers.

With that said, I can honestly say that BOTH There Was A Time & Madagascar are the two CD songs that are in my Top-10, and have been there for years, consistently.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Some of my favorite live performances of the songs mentioned...

Welcome To The Jungle (1988 MTV VMA's)

[youtube]SxOkRDdZELw&feature=fvst[/youtube]

NOW THAT'S A FUCKIN' BAND!
------------------

It's So Easy (Paris 1992)

Mr. Brownstone (Argentina 1992)

Rocket Queen (Tokyo 1992)

Tastes good, don't it?

November Rain (1992 MTV VMA'S) [feat. Elton John]

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Welcome To The Jungle (1988 MTV VMA's)

[youtube]SxOkRDdZELw&feature=fvst[/youtube]

NOW THAT'S A FUCKIN' BAND!

I will never EVER forget that performance. Hands down the greatest performance in VMA history.

I would have loved for that summer 91 GNR lineup to perform at the VMA's instead of them showing Live and Let Die from a satellite feed from a previous show on the tour. They would have blown the roof off that place. Band was on fire and so unpredictable at the time that had they actually been at the VMA's, might have performed several songs and kept on performing until MTV unplugged the sound and went to a commercial break.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

There's so much greatness in that Ritz '88 show, that it's downright HARD not to select every performance of an AFD song from that show as 'best live performance'.

So much raw, Sex Pistols-like energy. I threw Easy Paris '92 & Mr. B Argentina '92 as second choices.

Board footer