You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Re: Post your favourite fookin' GNR songs and tell us why!

Gibbo wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Welcome To The Jungle (1988 MTV VMA's)

[youtube]SxOkRDdZELw&feature=fvst[/youtube]

NOW THAT'S A FUCKIN' BAND!

I will never EVER forget that performance. Hands down the greatest performance in VMA history.

I would have loved for that summer 91 GNR lineup to perform at the VMA's instead of them showing Live and Let Die from a satellite feed from a previous show on the tour. They would have blown the roof off that place. Band was on fire and so unpredictable at the time that had they actually been at the VMA's, might have performed several songs and kept on performing until MTV unplugged the sound and went to a commercial break.

THe crowd sound pretty happy with it

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Welcome To The Jungle (1988 MTV VMA's)

[youtube]SxOkRDdZELw&feature=fvst[/youtube]

NOW THAT'S A FUCKIN' BAND!

I will never EVER forget that performance. Hands down the greatest performance in VMA history.

I would have loved for that summer 91 GNR lineup to perform at the VMA's instead of them showing Live and Let Die from a satellite feed from a previous show on the tour. They would have blown the roof off that place. Band was on fire and so unpredictable at the time that had they actually been at the VMA's, might have performed several songs and kept on performing until MTV unplugged the sound and went to a commercial break.

That performance was AWESOME!!!

And I agree, what a band too!!!!

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

There's so much greatness in that Ritz '88 show, that it's downright HARD not to select every performance of an AFD song from that show as 'best live performance'.

So much raw, Sex Pistols-like energy. I threw Easy Paris '92 & Mr. B Argentina '92 as second choices.

That concert in rio in 91 was good too

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Seeing how this thread has stalled a bit, and i've already given my thoughts on my #2 Jungle, here's my #3...

Axlin's favorite 'Part III'

What can I say about Paradise City? The best GN'R song ever? One of the best rock songs of all-time? I like some others more than PC, but it's still gotta be one of the best songs of all-time. I think the song is one of the best rock show closers of all-time, right up there with Freebird, For Those About To Rock & Rock N' Roll All Nite. Such incredible energy, that it still hasn't lost any of it's punch over the years, other than maybe less talented players trying to pull it off. Let's be honest, there's just a certain feel and tone that bleeds from Slash's guitar that sounds RIGHT about that song that has been unmatched over the years. An irony that Axl actually sings the song better today than he did in his heyday, which remains remarkable. I know the southern rock anthem-vibe of the whole thing was off-putting to pussies who think good rock music is fuckin' Coldplay  and blink182. But that's okay, don't worry, all of us REAL MEN with swingin' you know what's can enjoy it. We're big enough to get it.

Just an amazing song that hasn't aged one single bit over all these years. As soon as I hear it I want to grab a tambourine and start screaming at the top of my lungs.

BEAT IT!

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Sky Dog wrote:

[youtube]mnwWXDMVbbs&feature=related[/youtube]

i'll start with this....be back later for explanations...balls to the wall...and find it funny that Riad was inspired by the same general thing.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

That Civil War from Farm Aid will NEVER get old. Sucks that it was the last performance of the original lineup.  Would have loved to see that lineup at the time crank out those UYI albums that year.

rose22
 Rep: 12 

rose22 wrote:

this is hard for me. like picking my favorite kid. old gn'r (real gn'r) i guess it would have to be estranged. it is deep and the first time slash enters it is magic. it gave me a special feeling when i was 17 and my 9 year old is intoxicated by it. fucking epic. new gn'r would have to be a tie between this i love and the demo of catcher in the rye.

Sky Dog wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

That Civil War from Farm Aid will NEVER get old. Sucks that it was the last performance of the original lineup.  Would have loved to see that lineup at the time crank out those UYI albums that year.

Civil War took them to the next level for me. I was like "ok...this band is the next Zeppelin." I was especially floored by the studio version...get goose bumps thinking about it when it first hit the radio in Atlanta.

Then, a few years later, I got a bootleg of Rio 1991, and my jaw dropped with Estranged. I was floored even more by the studio version of Estranged. My mom had died in March of 1991, and I was a mess. This song pulled me out of a lot of depressing times. smile

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

When I first got my hands on UYI II... I went through a period where Civil War was my favorite.

I've got a cousin to this day who still claims Civil War is his favorite GN'R song.

My thoughts - when I first heard it I was blown away by it. It was a total epic that rivaled Paradise City in terms of greatness. The guitar work in it was stellar and Axl sounded amazing. Although I enjoyed that stripped down just straight GN'F'n'R's Civil War that originally surfaced at Farm Aid '90. Total rock moment, without the overproduction. Although I still love Civil War, and "lov-ed" the studio version, the overproduction has kind of dated it in my ears in recent years. Yes it retains it's bad ass-ness, and even the Cool Hand Luke intro is still cool... but the sound effects (especially the rain in the outro) kind of dates it in my opinion. But i'm just being brutally honest. It's STILL an amazing song, and probably THE top-rockers from the Illusion albums along with Coma & You Could Be Mine.

Board footer