You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Post your favourite fookin' GNR songs and tell us why!

Neemo wrote:

i remember the WRIF and WLLZ in detroit playing it like mad (I think there was another rock station called the FOXX that played it all the time too)

they had the best call signs ever...

"Tune it in and jerk your knob off....99.5 The FOXX" 14

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

NO ONE would be able to get a way with a call sign like that today.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

There has always been something about Dust N' Bones that I loved. Coma as well for obvious reasons. 14 Years is kick ass and I relate to those lyrics a lot. Locomotive is the like one of the ultimate break up/shitty gf songs. Don't Damn Me also another one of my personal gems. One in a Million and Dead Horse the way it just explodes after the intro. Hell, even Think About You has a soft spot for me cause of a stupid little whore I use to date. I can't pick one, never could. I could name all of AFD as well. Estranged, I could go on and on. Axl has always been one of it not my favorite lyricists of all time. The way he writes just clicks with me. Izzy and Slash trading guitars.. God I miss that.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Dead Horse was a big favorite of mine back in the day as well, along with Don't Damn Me, and Bad Apples.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

Wow, this thread brings back some great memories. From watching the Ritz show for the first time, to hearing "Civil War" on the radio for the first time in 1990. In fact, I remember it being advertised about the world premiere of the song, giving the time for the first play, etc. I had my cassette tape ready to roll for when it came on. I recorded it and played the shit out of it until UYI came out the next summer.

I have several that are special to me, but gotta say "Estranged" tops the list. Like others have said, when I heard it initially after UYI's release, I don't think I got it totally. I usually skipped it to get to "You Could Be Mine". But then when the video came out, I began to listen a little more closely. Over the years, specifically the late 90s and early 00s, it hit me. It is a masterpiece, and one that I think is massively underrated by most rock fans. It is so perfect in every way.

I love "Its So Easy" for the pure punk and 'fuck you' attitude of that song. It still sounds as raw and fresh as it did 24 years ago. The groove of "Mr. Brownstone" is so funky and I love Axl's vocals. The balls of "One In A Million". Wow! My favorite version of "Patience" is actually from Paris 1992. Slash's solo just totally takes that song to another level.

Man, I could write for days on the songs I love, so I guess I'll leave it there. Thanks for this thread, and the positive vibes towards the band we all love. I don't post often anymore, but just couldn't pass this one up!

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:

Wow, this thread brings back some great memories. From watching the Ritz show for the first time, to hearing "Civil War" on the radio for the first time in 1990. In fact, I remember it being advertised about the world premiere of the song, giving the time for the first play, etc. I had my cassette tape ready to roll for when it came on. I recorded it and played the shit out of it until UYI came out the next summer.

I have several that are special to me, but gotta say "Estranged" tops the list. Like others have said, when I heard it initially after UYI's release, I don't think I got it totally. I usually skipped it to get to "You Could Be Mine". But then when the video came out, I began to listen a little more closely. Over the years, specifically the late 90s and early 00s, it hit me. It is a masterpiece, and one that I think is massively underrated by most rock fans. It is so perfect in every way.

I love "Its So Easy" for the pure punk and 'fuck you' attitude of that song. It still sounds as raw and fresh as it did 24 years ago. The groove of "Mr. Brownstone" is so funky and I love Axl's vocals. The balls of "One In A Million". Wow! My favorite version of "Patience" is actually from Paris 1992. Slash's solo just totally takes that song to another level.

Man, I could write for days on the songs I love, so I guess I'll leave it there. Thanks for this thread, and the positive vibes towards the band we all love. I don't post often anymore, but just couldn't pass this one up!

This would be my favour performs of patience

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I've always been a big fan of that Patience/Pinball Wizard/Imagine Medley from "the final show" in Argentina '93.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I've always been a big fan of that Patience/Pinball Wizard/Imagine Medley from "the final show" in Argentina '93.

Back in the early-mid 90s when all those imports/bootlegs were 35-50 bucks a piece, I bought that.  Didn't like that but the version of Don't Cry on that was killer. Also loved Mother/Paradise City.

Wait, now that I think about it, it could have been Argentina 92. Don't remember. I had tons of that shit. My favorite import was "For Motherfuckers Only". It was that Indiana show in 91 before Izzy left the band and Dust N Bones and 14 Years were fucking killer. Sometimes I'd whip out disc one of that just to hear those two songs.

Another great import/bootleg was Halloween on the Horizon. Was a Chicago 88(or 87) show and on It's So Easy all you heard was Izzy and Duff's vocals. Amazing.

See me hit you
You fall down

Loved the way Izzy sang that.

Of course Rock In Rio 91 stomped all kinds of ass. My absolute favorite performance of Pretty Tied Up.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

The funny thing about Rio II, I always remembered was Axl butchering the performance of Jungle and singing wrong verses n' Slash seemed sloppy, and it was a mess, but I remember Axl's voice PRISTINE. If he could've captured that Rio II voice in a jar, and kept it - oh man.

Anything from those 1991 shows, DESTROYS anything that came from 1992 & 1993. That's not to say select songs weren't performed better in '92 & '93, but overall shows in 1991 just were the fuckin' best. Still, that is MY Guns N' Roses.

Indiana '91 was always my favorite show of the UYI era, but Rio II and even St. Louis pre-riot had classic moments. Perfect Crime, Jungle, Dust N' Bones & 14 Years were killer from St. Louis.

Some vids for everyone here...

Perfect Crime Indiana '91

14 Years St. Louis '91

That guy in the vest on lead... was the "Guns" in case anyone was wondering. 9

Board footer