You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: Amy Winehouse Discussion

buzzsaw wrote:

That cherry tree song is no different than rehab or mercy.  They are all pop trash.  If rehab wasn't such an ironic song, she probably never would have even had a hit with it.  Again, she was already known for being a fuck up...that song was just admitting it to everybody.  99% of the public (myself included before this thread and probably again as soon as tomorrow) could not name another song she did.  If she was original and talented, that would not be the case.

Before you go saying popularity doesn't equal talent, some of her previous work would have been "discovered" after rehab, or she would have had a follow-up hit.  She didn't.  She's a typical one-hit wonder.  It's a catchy song - I kind of like it to a point, but she's not original, and she's not an amazing talent.  Go watch one of those vh1 one-hit wonders shows and you'll see a bunch of "unique" artists just like her.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

If we can't agree that there are differences between Cherry Tree and Rehab then we're not going to agree with anything about Amy Whinehouse. 16

If popularity equals talent then all your opinions about Ga Ga are wrong. Not only is she talented, but super talented. She's popular. big_smile

A lot of great bands only had one hit, buzz.

Irony is a stamp of great songwriting, btw. The fact she didn't have a follow up album doesn't prove she wasn't incredibly talented, but, as you pointed out, like many great stars before her, she was a fuck up.

And I'm No Good was better than Rehab.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

She didn't have a follow-up anything.  Not even a minor hit that I ever heard.  I'm not talking about an album.  She had a fluke hit that summed her short life up perfectly, and that was it.  That's wonderful, but there's nothing great about her.

And I disagree that a lot of great bands only had one hit.  I think you're way too free with the word great if you really feel that way.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Russ beat me to it big_smile

I'm using the word great too freely with people who've only had one hit?

Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Rush, Derek And The Dominos, Greatful Dead, Faith No More, Lou Reed, Iggy Pop, Siouxsie And The Banshees, Beck.........

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Here's the problem buzz.  Like you, I don't listen to pop music for the most part.  I don't like it.  I try to stay away.  Obviously some songs, artists are unavoidable.  (Although Neemo somehow seems to avoid them).  I admit I had only really known "Rehab" before yesterday.  I had heard parts of her other songs, but never cared enough to search them out.  That doesn't mean she isn't talented, or wasn't a good artist, just because you or I, or others didn't hear from her time and again outside of her drug problems and now her unfortunate death.  I have to say, I have enjoyed listening to her other songs the past few days.  Thank you to those for sharing.  I always knew she was talented, but she was never able to get herself straight to harness that talent and get the most out of it.  THAT is a major reason she wasn't more of a household name, not that she was "just another singer".

Like misterID said, you complain that Lady Gaga isn't any good either, yet she's HUGELY popular.  Don't you like Matchbox 20?  What exactly have they done over the last decade?  I realize they've had SOME level of success, but they're not exactly burning up the charts these days.  Doesn't mean they're not a good band.

You can dislike Amy Winehouse's music or other pop acts, but you can't just disregard them.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
faldor wrote:

Here's the problem buzz.  Like you, I don't listen to pop music for the most part.  I don't like it.  I try to stay away.  Obviously some songs, artists are unavoidable.  (Although Neemo somehow seems to avoid them).

cuz i refuse to listen to trendy pop music crap ... CD's, iPod or local rock radio ... thats it .... i dont listen to pop music period ... if its on i turn the station...if i cant turn the station i leave and do somethign else ... additionally my wife is a rocker too so it just doesnt get played at my house ... my freinds are all rockers and at work we play the alternative rock station

one thing that i will say that i have heard is Justin Beiber My World 2.0, but only cuz my kid has a crush on him so i listened to it before her to make sure there wasnt anythign on it that i thought that she shouldnt be listening too (i understand he is just a kid himself...but you never know these days)

faldor wrote:

You can dislike Amy Winehouse's music or other pop acts, but you can't just disregard them.

i can totally diregard pop acts..or maybe i'm just out of touch (if thats the case so be it i refuse to bend.... i've always been rock ... and i always will be)

let me put it in the words of Phil Anselmo "all these weak ass fucking trends and all these pussywhipped fucking ideas, fuck 'em all" its all crap man, gaga, britney, perry, (whatever popular pop act you wanna insert here), rap, reggae, R&B, country ... big thumbs down...

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Here's her follow up hit to Rehab which actually charted higher than Rehab:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-I2s5zRbHg&ob=av2n

Sucks. No hook, "why do I care?" the whole song, vocals are uninspired, standard jazz routine with drum machine beats, etc.

I could go on.

I have enough respect for Amy's memory to say, "damn that's a shame, RIP and hopefully you're at peace now", because music versus Amy personally are two entirely different things.

But to sit here, like Buzz, and read how much of an amazing unique talent she was and a total loss to the world - no. She wasn't in 2007, and she's not now.

She's another typical producer-creation to market a white girl singing black songs, to push more records. We all know it happens, and this is another case of it.

Even Dre himself admitted he'd never be a bigger rap star than Eminem based on color and the record companies wanting to push white artists more.

The girl had a nice voice, but she didn't bring anything to the table that really wows me or just about every person i've ever known when I mentioned her name. GaGa is a total copycat too, but at least she brings more to the table as a performer and entertainer than Winehouse. But even GaGa holds herself back, because she's a total Buckethead-clown off-stage.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
misterID wrote:

No way. She was extremely talented and if not the first, she was one of the best to intwine 50's doowop, 60's R&B/lounge jazz and hip hop. She opened the door for singers like Adel and Duffy. She was original as an artist. I can't really think of anyone in her generation who comes close to her with what she did. I never heard anyone like Amy Whinehouse before.

The cherry tree song was plastic pop garabge, imo. Nothing similar to Amy Whinehouse at all. She was around before then, anyway.

I've personally never said Ga Ga is an amazing talent, only that its foolish to say she isn't talented, even though she's not my thing.

No offense dude, but that is the most moronic statement i've read in here.

Winehouse paved the way for Adele? What the fucking hell?

Winehouse didn't pave the way for anything other than the bumps of coke she took off a small mirror.

Adele paved the way for fucking Adele. Adele has a LEGENDARY voice, that actually IS unique. You tell me one person that has a voice like Adele? Not to mention the fact that only NOW, in 2011 has Adele even broke into the U.S., even though she's been around since 2008. Only NOW did she break into the U.S., five fuckin' years since Winehouse dropped Back To Black.

Winehouse didn't pave a damn thing. If anything she had the road paved for her by artists like Lauryn Hill & Alicia Keys, who they had the road paved for them by generations of black female R&B vocalists, dating all the way back to The Supremes, and Harlem Jazz club singers.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer