You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Amy Winehouse Discussion

Smoking Guns wrote:

Adele sounds A LOT like Amy to me.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
faldor wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Wikipedia pieces are no different than the opinions we post here. They mean nothing.

I could sign in right now into Wikipedia and delete that whole segment.

That is true, but can you discount the things that Adele, Duffy, Lady Gaga, etc. said?

You're saying they're wrong and they weren't influenced by Winehouse.  Assuming they did say those things, I think they know a little bit better than you about who they were influenced by.

You can argue Amy may have been overrated as an artist, but I've heard dozens of well respected artists speak glowingly of her since her death.  Are they all wrong?

No, that's like their opinion man. (to quote The Dude)

But as for the others saying Winehouse paved the way for them, they are misguided, uninformed and incorrect in their assessment of that.

But no one's gonna take my opinion for it. I'm just an asshole with a keyboard.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

The peple that say things like that have a very short-term view of things. The people that really paved the way for them stopped recording or even died years ago. Winehouse had one song. That didn't pave anything. It may have cracked the door open a little, but there was no paving involved.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Lomax wrote:

Jesus christ.

She's made retro cool again in the British music scene about 5 years ago, now every second band has brass and jazz elements.

Many of those bands are now starting to seep into American music culture

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
faldor wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Wikipedia pieces are no different than the opinions we post here. They mean nothing.

I could sign in right now into Wikipedia and delete that whole segment.

That is true, but can you discount the things that Adele, Duffy, Lady Gaga, etc. said?

You're saying they're wrong and they weren't influenced by Winehouse.  Assuming they did say those things, I think they know a little bit better than you about who they were influenced by.

You can argue Amy may have been overrated as an artist, but I've heard dozens of well respected artists speak glowingly of her since her death.  Are they all wrong?

No, that's like their opinion man. (to quote The Dude)

But as for the others saying Winehouse paved the way for them, they are misguided, uninformed and incorrect in their assessment of that.

But no one's gonna take my opinion for it. I'm just an asshole with a keyboard.

Well, you're ignoring what they're saying because of YOUR opinion.

Again, I can't remember anyone doing what Amy did before Amy.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
Riad wrote:

Jesus christ.

She's made retro cool again in the British music scene about 5 years ago, now every second band has brass and jazz elements.

Many of those bands are now starting to seep into American music culture

That was happening in the US in the 90s.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
russtcb wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

The peple that say things like that have a very short-term view of things. The people that really paved the way for them stopped recording or even died years ago. Winehouse had one song. That didn't pave anything. It may have cracked the door open a little, but there was no paving involved.

Not to beat a dead horse but once again, I give you Amy's hit after Rehab which charter higher:
[youtube]b-I2s5zRbHg&ob=av2n[/youtube]

Never heard it before.  That's the impact it had and she had.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

Well, I mean I heard it now.  It's not my thing, and that's coming from someone that loves blues going all the way back to old Jazz bands.  I just don't get what's so special...I've heard people singing like that since before my parents were born.

Board footer