You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Re: Velvet Revolver featuring Corey Taylor; Album done?

Mikkamakka wrote:

Velvet Revolver featuring Corey Taylor; Album done?

So says VR drummer Matt Sorum, but with Slash not ‘feeling it’… will we ever hear it?

http://www.rockaaa.com/news/velvet-revo … -done-7311

There hasn’t been much talk about Velvet Revolver in a few months, given that Slash continues to tour behind his 2010 solo record.

But the subject has reared its head again as part of a recent interview with VR drummer Matt Sorum.

In South America to perform with Brazilian band Kiara Rocks on July 13 at naMATAcafé in São Paulo, Brazil, the Revolver situation came up during an interview with Lokaos Rock Show.

“It was funny, because when we did [the debut album] Velvet Revolver, we had our relationships with certain singers, but we wanted to make a modern rock album, and we had to figure out a way to make that work,” explains Matt. “We didn’t wanna be like Guns N’ Roses. We knew we had that in us anyway, especially because the Slash and Duff sound was the initial sound of “Appetite For Destruction,” the way they played together and everything. Part of that chemistry was there, and when we added Scott [Weiland], it brought it into a more modern rock element. He came more from grunge — the Seattle [sound like] Soundgarden, Pearl Jam and bands like that. So it took it sort of forward. We became more of a modern rock band and we were on modern rock radio. Guns N’ Roses wasn’t even being played on those radio stations in America.”

“When we asked Corey Taylor to join, that was my idea,” continued Sorum. “I said, ‘Why don’t we get Corey Taylor from Slipknot?’ And he’s a great guy, number one – he’s an absolute sweetheart – and he rocks. Slash just didn’t see it like the rest of us did. We liked it. We had ten songs. [We] could put the album out tomorrow. It’s done. I said, ‘Let’s go.’ But Slash wasn’t feeling it. If we’re not all feeling it together, we can’t do it.”

Sorum explained further that Slash’s tour isn’t the only reason Revolver continue to be on hiatus.

“Slash has been on tour almost two years now, [but] it’s not the reason [VR is inactive]. I think the reason is that is hasn’t fallen into place yet,” says the drummer. “After [we parted ways with singer] Scott Weiland [in 2008]…We had such a great first record, especially. The second album is still a good album, but… It’s hard to replace Scott for that particular band, I think. It’s a bit of a gray era.”

“Velvet Revolver, we really felt that we were… Especially Slash, Duff [McKagan, bass] and myself, we were the three main guys that started Velvet. ‘Cause Scott came in much later. So to replace Scott, we felt, could be possible. And we tried a couple of guys and it didn’t work out. [But] I don’t wanna say it’s over. It’s just on a hiatus. We’ll make music again together at some point.”

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i'd love to hear it

and i'd like to hear them make music together again

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Gah! They should leak it themselves - if the public response is positive, use that as leverage to convince Slash…

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Slash is just buttsore no one wanted Myles fucking up their record.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

^^

I say just get Vernon Reid or John 5, start a new band and see where it takes you with Corey. It sounds like the hole band loved Corey, except Slash.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Corey is a good singer, but if you thought all scott had was a good hook/chorus that is all Corey has too... some of stone sour's songs are SOOOOOO repetitive... 

The dude from Shinedown would be a good voice for Slash...

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I wonder how many "done albums" there are. Slash has basicly said previously that their model for auditioning people is to give them completed instrumental tracks and get them to put lyrics over it - which means anyone that's got past the inital stages of interest probably has done several tracks worth of songs.

I also wonder to what degree slash has reharvisted riffs - we know Ghost started life as a VR demo called 'Pleasin' which I think featured brad cox. Be interesting to know if any of the other solo tracks were planned for VR.

As for the Corey Taylor/VR album - I have mixed views. I can't seem to get into slipknott but I do like a few Stone Sour tracks. And I firmly beleive Slash/Duff have incredible chemistry together - so that in the solo projects I do miss the slash/duff/matt line up.

So i'm sure the Corey album would be good...but that said....I think some of the "problem" (if there is one with old VR - I dig the hell out of lots of it) - is this obsession with making it a modern rock band - scott seemed to want to cut out guitar solos and turn the band into grunge style rock.

Much like people critize for Axl wanting to do, I see this sort of thing as VR as following in trends a little too late as well. Get scott in because he was a grunge rock front man - but do it in 2002. Get Corey in because he's been - as duff says - the voice of modern metal/rock - but do it ten years after the slipknott movement.

Fucking Slash and Duff are gods among men musically, they don't need to FOLLOW these patterns - they should go back to what they did in the 1980s which is do their own thing and have other people follow them.

While I understand they want to explore new territory - i think they need to stop being self concious of their GNR heratage. Stop trying so damn hard to NOT make AFD. Stop trying to prove you've moved on from GNR. Stop the search to be current and modern. Just be yourselves cos that was what kicked so much ass in the first place.

So for this reason I have mixed views. On one hand I think Slash/Duff/Matt were born to play together and they should make more albums. On the other hand I also support slash - because I think his recent solo album musically is the best thing he's done in a long time.

I see the solo album as the songs slash couldn't get up in VR. Just like I see snakepit as the songs he couldn't get traction with in GNR. Maybe it's his own fault and maybe it's the others who knows. In either case I think the shame is that that music had to be made outside of his existing bands though.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

Vernon Reid starts a new band and has anyone singing and I'm on it like stink on a monkey.

AMEN to that brother. Riffs like 'Cult of Personality' and the guitar solo at the start of 'Desperate People' blew my mind when Living Color's debut came out way back when.

Live that band were freakin' off the dial..

I wonder how many "done albums" there are

Excellent question. Some material that I would love to get my paws on:

- The Slash riffs he wrote for GNR/Axl before he quit (the meanest riffs he'd ever written according to Axl).

- The musical pieces Slash jammed with Dave Mustaine

-The Izzy / Slash / Duff material they wrote for VR that they called the 'perfect GNR album',  that Scott rejected

- The Corey Album

Fucking Slash and Duff are gods among men musically, they don't need to FOLLOW these patterns -

I think you need to throw Axl in there too. His 15 years of personally chasing trends rather than working on his original band brought him to where he is today..

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Corey is a good singer, but if you thought all scott had was a good hook/chorus that is all Corey has too... some of stone sour's songs are SOOOOOO repetitive... 

The dude from Shinedown would be a good voice for Slash...

Brent Smith? I think is his name.

He'd be a great voice.

But as far as Corey goes, with Slipknot AND Stone Sour on his plate, I think the only reason he'd been willing to take on a 3rd band, would've been the VR/Slash & Duff-pedigree.

I don't think Corey is looking for work, and striking up some supergroup outfit with Vernon Reid, Duff, Dave & Matt.

And of course if anyone is wondering, no way Slash lets VR continue under that moniker without him (thus Reid or John 5 replacing Slash in VR, it was Slash's baby to begin with)

Board footer