You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Skewrl leaks

Sky Dog wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

The skwerl leaks are better than the album, even though it's less songs. Riad is a monster jam and Tommy's bass tone on IRS is killer. Surprised that any forum junkie, ESPECIALLY a Stinson fan would get rid of those songs.

the bass is way more prominent on all the tracks.....wow....the songs are just a little crisper and were probably even better before Fortus became involved as well. The extra guitars and drums simply drown out the bass and basic rhythm of the songs.

ps I dig Ron's additions but they simply weren't needed. It's not his fault. He just came on too late in the game to really have his own input. Same for Fortus. These songs were done in 2002. sad

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ I like what Ron did...sort of completed the song to me...the verses had always felt a bit empty like you were just waiting for the chorus...Ron's touch sort of make it feel more cohesive or something.

I'm odd though in that I can honestly say I enjoy the album versions of every song more than the leaks! Maybe I'm just a sucker for mastering...but I dunno...I just like the final versions.

The whole of Chinese Democracy is an interesting study in choice anxiety to me though. And in a microscoopic way I experience the same thing with my own recordings. Every so often I add something to a song - maybe I meet someone who plays better or I'll get a new idea months after recording a first part. Choosing what to add, and when to move on. It's hard. Listening to the album it sounds like Axl had simlilar problems..like usually something seems to be added to a song not replaced. Take IRS...you add bucket...but still keep Robin's solo...then you add Ron in the ourtro....

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Tommy's bass on TWAT is fantastic on demo, too. Especially the lick on the "it was the wrong time for you" part. But it's buried on the album.

We're missin a lot on the demos for the fact it's not mixed and mastered. It would sound much fuller.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

the bass is way more prominent on all the tracks.....wow....the songs are just a little crisper and were probably even better before Fortus became involved as well. The extra guitars and drums simply drown out the bass and basic rhythm of the songs.

You must have tossed those demos fairly quickly to all of a sudden be blown away by how much better they sound. The leaks are the album to me. When I had to do that complete system restore to my pc recently, once I started adding all my music back I did not put CD on here, just the leaks.

Fortus doesn't bother me on the leaks as he's so buried in the mix that Big Bird's contributions can be heard better than his. In fact, his dog whistle was likely added without his knowledge. When IRS leaked in 2005, he had never even heard of the song. When Madagascar leaked, he was asked about the solo and his contribution and his statement was that it was Bucket(cue Nesquick sobbing like a little bitch). Didn't even mention strumming a guitar so he probably didn't even realize he may or may not have been on the songs.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Richard is only on a handfull of tracks, 4 or 5, even the ones he's on its a mystery what he actually does. Personally I think if Slash hadnt trashed Paul Tobias so badly, he wouldnt be on the album as much and Richard would have re-done most of his parts. Paul featuring so heavily on a Guns N Roses record was one big "fuck you" to Slash from Axl. ( I also think Slash's trashing Paul and his apparantly controversial and differing recollection of Todd Crews death in his book is a major factor in Axls loathing of him.)

For me the original leaks of The Blues, Catcher, CD, and one of the later TWAT leaks are better than the album version - as for the rest the album versions are better.
The old live versions of Madagascar and The Blues are better than the albums versions though, surely there must be a studio recording of those versions lying around somewhere 11

imsorry wrote:

i love the irs and twat of the first batch of 2006 leaks i wish them would rip in a higher britate, the overdrive guitar sound was way more visceral even irs is a bit repetitive but mixing it with some licks from Bumble is really mindblowing big_smile all guitars lost power with those re amped stuff ,sure the final decision is from the band but the producer is the guy to help the direction and try to help and say stuff like its too much ,its done ,etc but since Axl is one of the producers the answer is right there.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I agree the old live versions of The Blues and Maddy are MUCH better than both the demo and album versions.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

johndivney wrote:

nah bucket kills on maddy in '02
revisited it a few weeks ago for first time in donkeys & had to put it on repeat for a couple of days after. startling, classic GnR. what happened after turned the song into utter balls & possibly the worst song on CD, bar CITR..

that bucket solo is one of those solo's that captures the mood of the song perfectly & tips it into the realm of magic.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I've never understood the love affair with Bucket's mythical solo in Madagascar. I just don't hear what all the hype is about when I go back and listen to it.

The solo at Rio 2001 is off the hook and gave me chills. For some bizarre reason it was never performed like that again. Was shocked when the leaks started happening that it was not on there but was instead closer to how it was performed in 2002. Bucket is notorious for performing songs differently from time to time but that incident takes the cake. Axl must have been on dope that night as it's hard to imagine him not being blown away by that and realizing the song had just been nailed perfectly(not just by Bucket but the entire band). He should have demanded Bucket go into a studio after the show's end to record that EXACTLY how he had just played it.

While it is certainly possible that a similar version of the solo had been recorded previously, I have doubts because I think it would have made the final cut or if not, at least been on the demo. Bucket was simply on fire that night and for a brief moment in time took that song to heights it will never reach again.

edit: Watching that now and.....DAMN! That lineup deserved so much more than it got to do. Fucking travesty....

I used to like The Blues more upbeat and with the guitar intro but I'm happy with the way it is on the album too.

D used to constantly rave for years on that up tempo version of The Blues from 2001. I never dug it that much but the 2002 version was epic. A shame that the song was neutered by the time 2006 rolled around.... demo/album version the worst of the 3 versions of the track.

Board footer