You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Re: METALLICA and LOU REED: Official Web Site Launched

Furbush wrote:

I agree with hitler...

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

16 I like it. I'll even go a step further and say they should remove James. I can see why people hate it, but I love Lou Reed. The lyrics on that opening track are just all kinds of crazy.

WARose
 Rep: 26 

WARose wrote:

death magnetic was KILLER if you ask me! and now this utter garbage? i first thought it was a joke...

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

I think the later tracks on the album get more solid, as a fan of Lou Reed. I want to say he's getting nuts in his old age, but he's ALWAYS been nuts.

"spermless like a girl"

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I find this whole thing kind of interesting from a creative perspective.

I mean St Anger to me was like a Jam session that showed promice for what could have been ok songs - if trimmed down, recorded better, and kind of workshoped for a while. Figured it was just to the bad dynamics at the time.

Then Death Magnetic is a pretty solid album to me - and seemed to be showing signs of the greatness of metallica's youth...so to go on to this....I admit i've only heard one track...but it's really bizzare to me...these guys used to be so invovational with what they did on guitar...and I'll grant they're trying something out of the box by switching styles...but it's so bland.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I find this whole thing kind of interesting from a creative perspective.

I mean St Anger to me was like a Jam session that showed promice for what could have been ok songs - if trimmed down, recorded better, and kind of workshoped for a while. Figured it was just to the bad dynamics at the time.

Then Death Magnetic is a pretty solid album to me - and seemed to be showing signs of the greatness of metallica's youth...so to go on to this....I admit i've only heard one track...but it's really bizzare to me...these guys used to be so invovational with what they did on guitar...and I'll grant they're trying something out of the box by switching styles...but it's so bland.

Yeah, it's fucking weird.  There's some good riffs, but none good enough to carry a whole song like what they're doing with most of these.  Lou Reed's flow is terrible.  Seems like he's just trying to cram as much words into it as he can. 

It's definitely different, and not in a good way. 16

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
tylerdurden wrote:

I agree with hitler...

I laughed 'til I cried. Then I laughed again 'til I pee'ed.

That might be the funniest video i've ever seen. I wish I could give you like 1,000,000 karma points right now instantly.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Guys,

Everybody has an opinion. BUT.

Are we a bit harsh there?

I really liked the first three tracks, after the album lost me for a bit. I agree on some of the criticism here, but I wouldn't call it a lost cause. It's actually quite a ballsy album, when considered as an overall statement. Here we have Reed and Tallica prancing to the beat of an infamous late 19th century German play.

Lyrically, Lulu draws heavily from Wedekind's Earth Spirit and The Pandora's Box, down to plot points. So if you're unfamiliar with the source material (available in cinematic form as well, I recommend The Pandora's Box (1928) by GW Pabst and Lulu (1980) by Walerian Borowzyck), you're bound to be left a bit astray in what Reed is trying to pull off there.

Stylistically, Reed's lyrics are actually very much in line with Wedekind. Having said that, I had a hard time picking things up into any sort of logical sequence in relation to the plays. The third track, Pumping Blood, for instance, evokes Lulu's encounter with a john she picks up from the street near the end of the 2nd play, Pandora's Box - and he's none other than Jack the Ripper. Within that context, I actually found the track to be haunting.

This is Reed doing one of his off-the-wall sonic experiments, using the band and brand of Tallica to pony up public interest. Which is like setting your house on fire to catch those heat-seeking missiles, for sure.

Like he cares. He stands very little to lose in terms of legacy, finance, etc. All Tallica need to do to redeem themselves in front of their die-hards is to continue to be a fan-friendly band and prove this to be a one-off, which doesnt deride them from doing Death Magnetic II.

The end result's not as deliberately unlistenable as Metal Machine Music, but it's no Master of Puppets, either. Anybody who expects Tallica to appear as anything they've been during the past 20 years, will obviously be sorely disappointed. I can appreciate the reasons why.

Bluntly, it's self-indulgent and polarising - and far from perfect. I'm not asking you to reconsider your opinion after you gave it the time of the day. I doubt reading the play would magically change your outlook on the album. You'd merely see the lyrical context appropriately, which either contributes to the experience or not.

Having said all that, I find it to be a refreshingly daunting piece of work - and would say it's the most interesting thing I've heard in relation to Tallica since Justice.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

Having said all that, I find it to be a refreshingly daunting piece of work - and would say it's the most interesting thing I've heard in relation to Tallica since Justice

You cannot be fucking serious...

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

To me it's interesting in the sense of like :

"wow...I thought St Anger was the low point and that Death Magnetic was the start of a return to form....I didn't know I could be so wrong"

and like

"it couldn't get worse...wait...it just did again.."

and

"take a genius bass player, a drummer who for better or worse redefined metal drumming, a bad ass guitarist, a genius riff writer, able lyricist and frontmen...guys who have created some of the most important guitar pieces in the last 30 years...then see how far from past greatness they can stray"

Sorry to be a bitch. But it's just bizzare to me. I don't even mind the exerimenting with a poet and all that...it's more like - why can't they hear that musically these songs are like a collection of their E grade riffs...put like the riffs in all of these songs combined into one epic song with a bunch of chnages and you'd get the guitar skills of a single classic metallica song.

As rex said..the riffs just do not carry the songs.

Board footer