You are not logged in. Please register or login.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

Re: Bach flip flops on being the singer in VR..

smoke wrote:

I'd be surprised at this point if Slash is ever truly in a band again. Maybe as a side project, but even then I think it's doubtful. He's going full-on Carlos Santana from here on out.

And Corey seems like a good enough guy, so I'd hesitate to call him a douche, but yeah, douche. smile

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I agree that the latte drinking Dave Ghroll style guys would have used it as a chance to paint VR as retro 1980s. But I think the quality of the music that came out of a mix of Baz, Izzy and Slash would have given us some wicked songs that would have shut up the naysayers.

9:mosh:

What is that supposed to mean? "Latte drinking dave Grohl style guys" Is that suggesting Foo Fighters fans are latte drinking pussies or that dave Grohl is a "fag"? Dave Grohl is a big metal fan and has performed with Slash as well as guys like Lemmy and so on. Not sure I get the lame little pot shot at Dave Freaking Grohl who is one of the best frontmen in the world in one of the very best live rock acts in the world right now.

Maybe I misinterpreted that but it seemed like   shot at a guy who is a metal fan and does nothing other than rock.

I agree with you though VR with Baz would've been much better tan it ws with Scott.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

I feel like I've seen some misplaced ill-will on the board towards some of the cooler folks associated with the stoner/desert rock scene. Dave Grohl is one of them by association. It's almost always either completely unfounded or mistakenly aimed at the wrong person.

Besides which, Dave Grohl don't drink no fuckin latte. smile

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Bono wrote:

What is that supposed to mean? "Latte drinking dave Grohl style guys" Is that suggesting Foo Fighters fans are latte drinking pussies or that dave Grohl is a "fag"? Dave Grohl is a big metal fan and has performed with Slash as well as guys like Lemmy and so on. Not sure I get the lame little pot shot at Dave Freaking Grohl who is one of the best frontmen in the world in one of the very best live rock acts in the world right now.

haha...fair enough...it was kind of a cheap shot...lol.

I think Dave is an awesome drummer.

As far as a front man, I feel the same about him playing guitar as I do about seeing Zakk Wylde play paino...he's proabably fucking good at it but I can't make myself care 16 I watching going "go back to drumming". I'm apparently in the minority on that though - as EVERYONE I know loves Foo Fighters. I've tried to...they have a couple of songs I don't mind...but I just can't get into them properly. Anyways...as for Dave...he's def talented...I've just never been sure about his attitude to things. Like back in the day when Nirvana kept accusing GNR of being manifactured and taking shots at them. I was also a big fan of Nirvana at the time...but the attitude was just uncalled for.

It also strikes me as funny when to my ears, Foo Fighters is about as mainstream a band as Dave could have possibly formed post nirvana - that he complained about other people selling out or whatever.

Anyway as a comment it was probably a bit over the top...so fair enough...I just feel a lot of that stoner rock scene tends to look down on metal and 80s rock as inferior...when musically at the end of the day it takes a shit load of skill to play like Baz or Slash or most acts of that era.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

One thing I think Baz does right is he makes the kind of music his fans want. They liked Skid Row, and Slave to the Grind -

I may be in the minority here, but Subhuman Race was a great record... It's right up there in the "criminally underrated"  pack with Motley's self-titled (Corabi) album. Track by Track, listen to that album... He brings a little something different to each song.
Baz is versatile... A hell of a lot moreso than Weiland. People like Slash etc. looked at the pairing of the GN'R guys with Baz on paper, and thought It would be Slave To The Grind meets Appetite... I personally see a different thing there. Sebastian can sing absolutely anything, for fuck's sake.

He was doing musicals for a stretch. I suppose the majority of the mainstream public would have rolled their eyes... Which is most likely why they went in a different direction, but as a true fan of all of the musicians involved, I think it would have been very interesting to see what they could have come up with.

And that goes for Corey Taylor as well... But if Zakk Wylde's playing in 1994 was "a little too heavy" for Slash's taste, my guess is Taylor's guttural roar might have the same effect on his palate.

My gripe with Slash is simple. He's pissed and moaned to anyone that will listen about how Axl had the keys to the car, and his hands on the wheel, and drove the band off a bridge. How his need for control killed something that was, by all accounts unique and special. 

Now, with VR... HE has the keys... and his hand on the wheel. And what is he doing? Tarnishing his own band's legacy with indecision and inactivity just as much as (if not, more than) his old singer has his former one.   17

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Matt and Dave are the only two potentially hurting from the inactivity.  Everybody else is doing just fine.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
tylerdurden wrote:

Now, with VR... HE has the keys... and his hand on the wheel. And what is he doing? Tarnishing his own band's legacy with indecision and inactivity just as much as (if not, more than) his old singer has his former one.   17

16  That is such a joke. Slash released two albums with VR including two tours and has released a solo album  and has been touring his own album for a year. Do NOT even begin to compare Slash's "indecision and inactivity" with that of Axl's Makes you look foolish.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Matt and Dave are the only two potentially hurting from the inactivity.  Everybody else is doing just fine.

Exactly. Slash has had success out on his own doing things his way, as has Duff with Loaded.
Why would Slash go back into a situation with VR with a singer he doesn't approve of, just for the heck of it?

The longer it goes on that there is no VR, they should just leave it.
I think the fact that they had success with GN'R, then had pretty good success with Contraband, says enough. I don't know who they could get as a singer that would make them more successful than they've already been. Well, aside from that certain red-headed guy...

I'd even welcome Scott back if they went back to the heavy rock style of Contraband, rather than the second rate STP pop rock stylings that was Libertad.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

The way I see it, the only real valid complaint against Slash is that in his career, some of his best work has been on things that he didn't necessarily want to do.  He wants to do one thing and one thing only...blues based rock.

He hated SCOM's riff, which he came up with as a joke.  He didn't want to do Estranged or NR.  I actually think Libertad is pretty good, but the guitar is too buried in the mix, which should have never been allowed.  Messages is awesome, but lost as a bonus track.

Maybe there are two complaints about Slash...the other being that he doesn't know when to put his foot down on things.  In many ways, I think the two are related.  Maybe it's a good thing that he doesn't know when to put his foot down because we might not have Estranged or Messages, but maybe we'd still have GnR if he did.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
smoke wrote:

I'd be surprised at this point if Slash is ever truly in a band again. Maybe as a side project, but even then I think it's doubtful. He's going full-on Carlos Santana from here on out.

I absolutely agree. Slash is just as egotistical as Axl. There's a reason he WANTS Myles.

Myles is Slash's DJ. He takes his orders. Myles has Alter Bridge. DJ has Sixx:AM.

Yet personality-wise, and their relationship with their boss -- is pretty similar.

Board footer