You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: Testing a GNR Fan theory

-D- wrote:

Driving around at work today, I started thinking about some posts the other night, and how people said they liked some CD songs as well if not better than Estranged.

So that got me thinking about bands where I make similar comments about, for instance:

I didn't grow up a RHCP fan... Blood Sugar Sex Magik was actually the 4th Chili album I bought and I like By the Way,Stadium Arcadium,Californication better than it..

now hardcore Chili fans would say I was nuts.

Metallica: didn't grow up a Metallica fan... Got into them later on, bought Death Magnetic and it is my favorite Metallica album after Master of Puppets. I think Death Magnetic is way better than The Black Album on a whole.. and I of course would look ridiculous saying that to Metallica fans

List goes on and on.... Kiss another good example.. I realize now Ace Frehley is the greatest but always loved how Bruce Kulick played the solos better than Ace which i guess isn't much different than people preferring Robin or whoever else to Slash

I guess what I am getting at is.... When did YOU become a GNR fan?

My theory is, most people who prefer new band or CD to older stuff, may be a bit younger and didn't necessarily become a fan when they first hit and don't have that same emotional/nothing can be better than this attitude we all get.

It happens in everything from movies to sports to music.. how many people will not admit a new school athlete is better than someone from their childhood or all older music is superior, older movies are way better than shit today etc

So when did u become a fan? be honest about it. my first GNR album was UYI 2.. I bought the 45's of WTTJ,SCOM and PC, still have them... but bought Appetite after Illusions.

Does my theory hold water? or is it bullshit?

now of course there will always be exceptions to the rule.. so if someone was a fan since 87 but yet still likes newer stuff better... it doesn't prove my theory wrong necessarily.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I also got into GN'R when UYI's were coming out, mainly because I was too young to properly appreciate Appetite when it was released in 1987. So I'll always hold a strong attachment to the UYI's, even though like most, I consider AFD to be their strongest effort. But UYI showcased how great they really were, on separate levels.

Could say the same for Metallica. I bought the Black album first, and loved it, then worked my way back through the older albums, and discovered, they had much better material than that. I stayed with with them through Load, Reload, Symphony and I'd even admit St Anger has some ok moments here and there. But Death Magnetic got me back to loving them again too, so you're not alone in thinking that album is great.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I also look back to 1991-92 as a golden era for me, both GN'R and Metallica in their prime and height of their popularity, ruling the world. Fuck I miss those days...

nugdafied wrote:

Been a fan since the first time I heard them as a 5th or 6th grader back in '87. I don't know if they were bigger in the midwest United States or what, but where I lived, it didn't take an early morning video to break them big. I'm from Galena, IL...so there was already older metalheads in my hometown that had seen them open for Alice Cooper in Madison, WI. They were no secret from the second AFD dropped, but it makes for a romantic story to sound like they almost didn't catch on after AFD was released. AFD was the first record I ever bought and I'll never forget discovering songs like Nightrain and Rocket Queen. I made my mom drive me to the the Musicland in Dubuque, IA to buy it one night after school...I had to have that record, it was the first time I ever felt that.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

You Could Be Mine video debut got me into Guns. So I watched MTV for all things Guns during the UYI period. And then movte.ed on to other things (such as grunge) later on when I hit junior high/high school, the Jungle live video dropped to promote Live Era, and it threw me back into going back and re-discovering them, starting with Appetite.

As for bands, I do know what you mean by being eccentric about stuff. For example, to this day my favorite Metallica album is Kill 'Em All, and I LOVE 80's Kiss (my favorite KISS album is Asylum, considered by many to be their worst moment).

So I totally get that.

Back to GN'R, i've said before that the 1991 band is MY Guns N' Roses. I miss those guys. And it's probably like that, because that was the moment I connected with them. Like others who like the 2002 band, because that's when they became fans.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

I was into it in 92, but then forgot about them for awhile before being re-introduced in 1998. I played AFD so much I still can't listen to the studio recording. I over-listened. Find Chinese refreshing...and dauh....new.

But the theory is about right.

If we had this thing in reverse, time going the other way, we would have the same discussions, only with a large amount of fans thinking DJ Ashba is the God of GNR and Slash is just a stupid guy in a top hat. It works like that.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

first time i got into GnR was about 88 or 89 i traded my whitesnake tape for both Lies and AFD to some kid....and was hooked since, my parent got a satelite dish (and as a result MTV) in 1991 far as videos i pretty much saw and witnessed all the UYI hubub as it happened though MTV and i got to see the Paris PPV live, maybe its cuz theat was the first show i saw i have a soft spot for Gilby, dunno...anyway AFD is prolly my fav of theirs but Lies, AFD, UYI i and UYI 2 are like havign 4 kids...you love them all 16 granted i dont play them much anymore, just had AFD in the car last month for abotu 2 weeks, been contemplating on dragging out UYI II for a test drive

i was introduced to RHCP for mothers milk, but BSSM is their best effort imo, they got really generic after "with the birs i share this lonely view"
Metallica was introduced during Justice, but ride the lightnning and black are my 2 favs
Was into Crue way back in the shout at the devil stage but tbh i havent owned a crue album in a LOOOONG time...i have the GH they released before they reunited

Blind Melon and Alice in chains are 2 bands that i never liked at first, it was only later on that i really appreciated them, Tripod is my AIC best and I like Soup by BM

since U2 is always mentioned...i liked WAR and then didint really care for josua tree, but mysterious ways is good then pretty much everything after that gets progressively worse for me

and lets do bon jovi...right when slippery when wet came out my older brother got it, its an aweseom album to this day didnt really care for the one before new jersey is good and i actually like keep the faith, especially the title track...but my favorite BJ album (if you can call it that) is the young guns II ST

Pantera was a band i got into later on (97 or so) my fav album by them is probably either GTTK or Reinventing the steel ...i'd get killed for that one i think from hard core pantera fans

Megadeth ... again i got into later on, my fav album from them is youthanasia or or the world needs a hero

the post kinda sprawled on but yea

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I too became a true GNR fan during the UYI era and I love the old stuff AND the new stuff.  I wish we had MORE new stuff, no doubt.  But it is what it is, not much we can do about how the last 15 years have unfolded with this band.

With your theory though, maybe a reason I'm SO accepting of current day GNR.  As big a fan as I was in the early 90's, I was only entering my teenage years and I never got to see the UYI lineup, never mind the AFD lineup, live.  The first time I got to see GNR was in 2002, then again in 2006, and if all goes to plan again next month.  So in that sense, I can see your theory holding weight.  I know a lot of "older" fans (we're all OLD at this point) hold the classic lineup in much higher regards, probably due to the fact that they had a more personal experience with that lineup.  If I had actually seen Slash, Duff, Izzy/Gilby, Axl, etc. live, it might be a different story for me.  Unfortunately though, I never got to experience that, and I doubt I ever will.  Even if I do, it won't be the same.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

exactly.. the personal experience thing is a big part of it for me especially.. As a teenager early adult tryin to figure out life.. going through first experiences such as love,heartbreak,death etc... those songs/albums were the soundtrack.. so I guess at 30 years old... CD just doesn't connect to me anywhere near the level a song like Estranged does.. Now had CD Came out in 2001 when i was going through the biggest tragedy of my life.... I may feel way different about it.  cause i did have Madagascar and The Blues during it and those two are still my favorite till this day off that album and consider both amongst the top GNR songs ever.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

For me it was the summer of 88`I got a mixed tape for my birthday called summer of 88. I was 10 it had sweet child on it as soon as i heard that about a week later i got appettite and just flogged it and then i  see the video clip on tv and told my dad i want to play a guitar by the time illuisions came out i could play everthing of off appettite and lies mostly only the rhythm part then by the time tsi came out could play ever thing back to front. got cd but cant really get into it i like better sod til twat sorry mad nad prost but thats about it.I seen them in 93 in melbourne adelaide 06 10 i think the current band and the 2002 line up is good but i just think slashs riffs made it for me.

Board footer