You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Re: Why is Axl fucking up 25 year old songs?

Intercourse wrote:

With all the talk of the November Rain fuck up at Rio I just checked it out and I am interested to know what the Evo Crew feel caused the meltdown on the lyrics by Axl..

It seems inconcievable to me that you could get so lost and mixed up in one of your own songs to the extent that Axl did. I honestly felt sad for the guy.

Is he lost because his mind is elsewhere? Is his sick of playing these songs, was it just bad weather and too late a start?

Why does he need tele-prompters? Has he ever discussed this inability to remember his own lyrics?

If your job is to sing your own songs and you're well paid to do it, why is it so difficult?

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

He is old.  that's life.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

You could ask why he fucked up one year old songs. He's been doing it forever. It's the whole reason he's had those monitors around since the old days.

Intercourse

Intercourse wrote:

any idea why though?
Jesus, surely those songs must be like rhyming off your birth date at this stage...

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

I think, prior to the RIR performance, he didn't sing, practice or rehearse anything in 2011. He didn't have stamina. He arrived to Rio, only few hours before the show. He's almost 50. He didn't seem to care - and as he did more and more mistakes during the show, he panicked and lost it. That's my opinion in brief.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

any idea why though?
Jesus, surely those songs must be like rhyming off your birth date at this stage...

Someone made a point here that he might have something like dyslexia, or maybe he just has a hard time remembering things and will blank out sometimes. A lot of people do.

A lot of artists did also. Like Sinatra and Elvis would forget lyrics all the time.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

I think, prior to the RIR performance, he didn't sing, practice or rehearse anything in 2011. He didn't have stamina. He arrived to Rio, only few hours before the show. He's almost 50. He didn't seem to care - and as he did more and more mistakes during the show, he panicked and lost it. That's my opinion in brief.

THIS

Pretty much sums up how I feel. Axl has always prided himself on putting on a great show. He's pushing 50, and is still trying to do what he did when he was 30. Just roll out of bed, no prep, and go belt out GN'R tunes for 2 hours, then go have a fuck and a pizza, and go home.

Doesn't work that way anymore man. Just like with baseball, the veterans have to work 10 times as hard to keep up with the rookies. This is a lost concept on Axl.

russtcb wrote:

Tons of artists use tel-prompters through their whole career. The dude probably has more on his mind than just the lyrics to November Rain. It's was raining buckets, the monitors were covered with bags, the lights were probably shinning off of them, etc etc etc.

We really needed another thread to discuss this aspect of Rio?

Probably. Intercourse came late to the game and probably didn't want to sift through 130 pages to find out the steak & potatoes of what happened.

And I don't blame him.

Intercourse

Intercourse wrote:

Probably. Intercourse came late to the game and probably didn't want to sift through 130 pages to find out the steak & potatoes of what happened

yeah, Axlin spot on again; sorry folks, been gone a week so missed the whole shooting match. Nice to see all my favourite web authors out in force though!

He's pushing 50, and is still trying to do what he did when he was 30..... the veterans have to work 10 times as hard to keep up with the rookies. This is a lost concept on Axl.

NAILED.. i cannot help but notice that Duff and Slash are still at fighting weight and playing out of their skins while the main man seems to be bloated, tired bored and stressed. I wonder is Duffs book release on his mind??

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Forgetting lyrics is nothing new.  People are always shocked when performers forget the lyrics to The National Anthem, like Christina Aguilera and more recently Cyndi Lauper.  But it happens.  I mean, I'm sure they've sung that song a million times and could recite the lyrics in their sleep, but for whatever reason they messed up when it mattered most.  So I don't think it's a major development that he misses a line here or there.

However, he missed far more lyrics than just on November Rain at Rio.  That's what got me.  Who knows what the deal was.  Possibly he couldn't see the teleprompters, or maybe his mind was indeed elsewhere.  I agree with Mikka though, I think after he messed up for the 5th time he had had enough and basically checked out.

Luckily though, it was only one show and he was in much better form at show 2.  We'll see how he does tonight.

One thing I haven't heard discussed that I wondered about.  What was the deal with the whole "It's Beta's fault" thing?  I mean, I get it was a joke, but was there more to it than that?  Was he saying he wouldn't be performing still if it wasn't for her?  And if so, did he mean that in a good way, or a bad way?

Board footer