You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: Best Buckethead moment

polluxlm wrote:

I play poker.:P

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Twat for sure in this poll - that solo when added to Axl's vocals elevated the song to a new level.

Although I like the shred in bucket's nighttrain (respect the skills!) I'm of the opinon that he lost part of the character of the song. This will sound nuts but the slash version tells me a story. Something about the way it swaps between shreddy bits and bends sounds sort of reckless, and out of control like the song is about. Buckets version is sort of a more badass solo but it dosn't have the same context and character to me. Not sure if i'm the only one who feels this.

The madagascar solo i've never understood the love for. I love the lyrics and Axl's melodies in that song deeply..and the ending moments of the solo are cool the way it brings it back to the verse - but generally it doesn't seem to do much for me. I seem to be odd in this respect though as I think most people adore it.

couldnt have said it better myself

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I say the TWAT solo is the clear winner.

Neemo wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Twat for sure in this poll - that solo when added to Axl's vocals elevated the song to a new level.

Although I like the shred in bucket's nighttrain (respect the skills!) I'm of the opinon that he lost part of the character of the song. This will sound nuts but the slash version tells me a story. Something about the way it swaps between shreddy bits and bends sounds sort of reckless, and out of control like the song is about. Buckets version is sort of a more badass solo but it dosn't have the same context and character to me. Not sure if i'm the only one who feels this.

The madagascar solo i've never understood the love for. I love the lyrics and Axl's melodies in that song deeply..and the ending moments of the solo are cool the way it brings it back to the verse - but generally it doesn't seem to do much for me. I seem to be odd in this respect though as I think most people adore it.

Both of you only have that opinion because you heard Slash's first. So you identify the song with it. Even I hear Bucket's version, and it feels out of place. Why? Because it wasn't originally there.

But that doesn't mean it's not superior. Normally I would side with Slash on EVERY AFD track. But this is the one case where I wouldn't.

Both solos are absolutely amazing. But I think the Bucket one is the clear winner.

I think it totally fits the song and tells the story of the song.

madagas wrote:

The Madagascar solo is just laid back and cool as hell. It fits the song perfectly.

The Nightrain solo is not good at all.

The NT solo is not good in the song itself, or the solo itself is not good?

The first, that's your opinion, but if it's the latter... I have to highly question your ear for tone, technicality, and all guitars and guitar players to have ever existed.

If you don't like it that's fine, but the solo is an amazing piece of art. "Not good at all" is clearly delusional.

And you know me, I normally would totally side with Slash on all things AFD.

johndivney wrote:

lol@ the disses of BH Nightrain

that solo was probably the best thing he did as a member of GnR
prob better than his TWAT contribution
no, it's not quite as perfect as Slashs' original on Nightrain but it's as intoxicatingly close to that perfection as anyone could have dared dreamed (& makes Ron's efforts on the track look decidedly embarrassing)

Sky Dog wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I say the TWAT solo is the clear winner.

Neemo wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Both of you only have that opinion because you heard Slash's first. So you identify the song with it. Even I hear Bucket's version, and it feels out of place. Why? Because it wasn't originally there.

But that doesn't mean it's not superior. Normally I would side with Slash on EVERY AFD track. But this is the one case where I wouldn't.

Both solos are absolutely amazing. But I think the Bucket one is the clear winner.

I think it totally fits the song and tells the story of the song.

madagas wrote:

The Madagascar solo is just laid back and cool as hell. It fits the song perfectly.

The Nightrain solo is not good at all.

The NT solo is not good in the song itself, or the solo itself is not good?

The first, that's your opinion, but if it's the latter... I have to highly question your ear for tone, technicality, and all guitars and guitar players to have ever existed.

If you don't like it that's fine, but the solo is an amazing piece of art. "Not good at all" is clearly delusional.

And you know me, I normally would totally side with Slash on all things AFD.

not good in the context of the song.....his version at MSG was better in my opinion. I am going by what was posted up top.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

I only checked the soundboard versions. Tacoma is probably his most Slash like and definitely most epic, but this from Boston is just perfect.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
johndivney wrote:

makes Ron's efforts on the track look decidedly embarrassing

I dunno...there's some decent shred going on in this version....

Also...OT....I know some people don't like the braids...but I think Axl looks and sounds fucking badass here especially in the second half of the song....I think it's why I was a little down after RIO was hoping for this kinda peformance....

Anyway...I think the Slash version is the best as the guitar melodies to me intimate the insanity of what the song is about and add to the story...but I do love a good shredfest on guitar too...and personally I think Bumble brings some serious game on this video.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Wow, Axl sings fucking sick there.

johndivney wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
johndivney wrote:

makes Ron's efforts on the track look decidedly embarrassing

I dunno...there's some decent shred going on in this version....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBw_U3GNJJo

and personally I think Bumble brings some serious game on this video.

well that's one of Ron's better nights tongue
rock am ring was a good/great gig

but... (there's always a but, isn't there?) i remember clearly having my synapses reconfigured & my brain turned upside down when Bucket killed Nightrain @ Leeds 2002. it was just one of those moments where rock concerts make perfect sense.
& having lived thru 3 r 4 Ron versions since, it's just not even close. even in that vid it's not close to the feel of the finest slash & bucket performances.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Fuck this thread is making me want to play guitar real bad but it's like midnight here and my neibours will go nuts lol.

johndivney wrote:

i remember clearly having my synapses reconfigured & my brain turned upside down when Bucket killed Nightrain @ Leeds 2002. it was just one of those moments where rock concerts make perfect sense.

That makes sense...I was front row when slash belted this out in melbourne the other year and I guess that probably does colour my view too....great as these clips are...nothing beats being close to it...especially with guitar stuff...the sound up loud and so on....

Board footer