You are not logged in. Please register or login.

war
 Rep: 108 

Re: Could the tide be turning

war wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Yeah i'm very curious too.

Many tickets are still available, some were recently released that are actually in the section next to the stage -- with a WEEK to go. The upper level hasn't even been opened yet because of the average demand, and  the floor is still very available.

My guess is the lower bowl will be totally full, the floor will be 2/3 full, and some of the club sections & loge boxes might be full, or 2/3 full. Upper won't even be used imo.

So in other words -- half-full.

...............as is the ways with gnr

half full
or
half empty

you decide

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Believe it or not, I tend to side with half-full. I think Axl is more popular than he and everyone else gives him credit for.

I think if he was actually out there promoting himself like Slash, cutting great music, and actually releasing shit that these arenas would be even fuller than they are. Would they sell out? Probably not, but if GN'R could fill it up to 80% based on Axl alone in a small market venue in America... that's pretty fuckin' impressive in 2011.

They'd also sell out quicker in major cities under that theory too.

But the whole thing would require Axl to work harder and "be there". Which he still continues to just not want to do.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

thats what i would say.

axl does jack shit musically and lives like a hermit.

then he tours with a bunch of imposters(as far as 99 percent r concerned)

and still does well.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

At this point, if he can do a 30+ date NA tour, with no cancellations, and still fill up half of all these venues (i'm thinking the 15,000-20,000 seat ones), without having anything at all to promote...

It's actually not that bad.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I sort of don't get why people believe there wouldn't be another album to be honest.

We know there's more of the Bucket/Huge sessions era stuff that have bumble added to them lying around in 3/4 done mode.

Seems to me that once this tour is finished, after a massive GBR break - the band is really likely to add DJ into those tracks - then MAYBE - sub out a weaker track or two for anything new that DJ's come up with...and boom..there's your Chinese 2.

I can't see it happening in a short timeframe cos GNR stuff takes ages...but i see something like that happening somewhere within the next 1-4 years as the most likely senario for the band.

I guess it's possible Axl will retire or just tour the hits once every 4 years to pay the bills or something...but I see the follow up album as most likely.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

He's paying the bills by touring.  Album sales sucked for the album 14 years in the making that people were curious to hear.  I assure you they will be far, far worse for any follow-up to that.  Record company people know that, and there isn't going to be a best buy to bail them out this time.

Unless Axl has a UYI type album up his sleeve, it's over album wise.  The record company isn't going to put out CD II and wouldn't have put out CD I without the best buy deal.  People seem to forget that little detail.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Album sales didn't suck, it was one of the highest, if not highest selling album for Geffen that year. It sold very well around the world.

The curiousity factor theory is BS, seeing that the entire album was streamed for free on MySpace for anyone who was curious. You're not going to get a whole lot of casual curiosity sales when it's sold in only one store chain that isn't Wal Mart.

Also, it had really good reviews and the lead single charted well.

The record company has already paid for album 2, and the BB deal paid off the recording costs for the recordings of CD and the follow up.

If you want to go by MSL's stuff, there's already been contact between the band and label regarding the follow up, and the only thing holding it back is that he hasn't paid Caram for the final mixes of the second album yet. At least that's what the deal was back then. Maybe the tour is to pay for the second album. I always figured that the 2006 tour was to help pay for the studio time to finish CD when UNI stopped flipping the bill.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

LOL.  Okay.  Let's just see what happens.  I have a pretty damn solid track record on these things since I'm not blinded by hope.

Sales sucked.  Fact.  It was Guns N Roses return to kick ass.  After 2 weeks it was gone.  Poof - just like that.  Which supports the curiosity factor and the streaming perfectly.  Once people heard what it was, it stopped selling.  Die hards bought several copies, and it STILL died a quick death.

So clearly reviews and singles that chart well for a week are pretty meaningless...they don't sell records.  If you don't think record company execs are as aware of all of this as I am, you're crazy.  But you keep believing what you want to believe.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

They might not fund a new album, but they'd sure as hell put one out. It's not the 2010 version of Jethro Tull. A gn'r album would make money on the hardcores alone.

The music was the last deciding factor in why CD tanked. No media love and zero promotion is 90% of the story.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer