You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Could the tide be turning

RussTCB wrote:

removed

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Guys, its all about that first single. People have no attention span... If CD had a great first single, that album would've done fantastic. They dropped the ball on the release.. Fucked up the first single, no video.... Album was doomed. The world was ready to embrace Axl and push GNR back to the moon... Radio station were playing it first thing on top of every hour... The first single absolutely sucked. no ifs and or buts. one of the 3 worst choices as a first single from that album and somehow they fucking plucked it out of everything else.  They paid the price for that mistake. The fact this single didn't hit number 1 on a mainstream rock chart is an enormous indictment of just how horrible it was.

So, get with DJ, record an awesome kick ass radio song... and release a new album and u got a comeback.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
war wrote:

99.9 percent of label supported artistst dont even go gold

if cd 2 sells half of what cd sold then the label is still interested.

an underachieving gnr still makes everyone money.

Exactly what I'm trying to say.

With recording costs 90% already done, label expense is limited to mixing, mastering and promotion.

Even with a ton of people avoiding because it's not the real GNR, and even with a further ton avoiding because they scratched their itch with the last album or they do not like the new style of GNR, the album could be expected to do enough sales globally to recoup such low overheads.

It would be significantly less of a gamble than financing a new album from a standard artist.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Although CD had what I would call "eccentric hits", with proper promo and pushing over and over -- audiences would've ate it up.

Coldplay is living proof that people will listen to shit and call it prime rib. It's all about proper promo and pushing it right.

I think the biggest problem was GNR's lack of a nucleus. No real management and letting car detailers answer the phone.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

LOL.  Okay.  Let's just see what happens.  I have a pretty damn solid track record on these things since I'm not blinded by hope.

Sales sucked.  Fact.  It was Guns N Roses return to kick ass.  After 2 weeks it was gone.  Poof - just like that.  Which supports the curiosity factor and the streaming perfectly.  Once people heard what it was, it stopped selling.  Die hards bought several copies, and it STILL died a quick death.

So clearly reviews and singles that chart well for a week are pretty meaningless...they don't sell records.  If you don't think record company execs are as aware of all of this as I am, you're crazy.  But you keep believing what you want to believe.

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

You said CD would never be released. Your track record sucks.

CD made money. It sold over 3 million. When you were confronted with this you said sales outside the US don't count because they don't matter (even though CD went gold in America). Sort of how because GN'R sells out concerts in South America doesn't mean anything because you think SA's fans music taste sucks.

Sorry, it was successful. smile

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

LOL.  Hilarious.  I also preficted if it was released that it would be sometime around when it actually was...several years before that when we had the contest at the old site.  But you're right, lets ignore the 99% and focus on the 1%.  That's the only thing the looney fan base has to cling to overall anyway.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Ask best buy how many they sold at $1.99.  Record company execs know what I know.  I'd like to think they know more than I do, but that's debateable.

Read the reviews above of the leaks.  Read the album reviews.  Two weeks in the album is done from a sales perspective.  This isn't rocket science and that's not only a marketing issue.

Well, like you say

buzzsaw wrote:

lets ignore the 99% and focus on the 1%.

CD sold handsomely worldwide (hint: BestBuy ain't the world), but we can obviously forget about that.

Guns are still a highly in-demand live act in Europe (headlining the likes of Reading/Leeds last year), South America (RiR this year) and Canada, to name a few markets, but let's not focus on that.

The record industry in general is a twindling market, and the overall amount of units sold by any act has fallen drastically during the past decade, but we can let that pass for now.

Do keep up.

One day we can all look back and think, jeez. Buzz was right about it all. The fools we have been to have ever bothered with this band in the first place.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Actually I believe all of the major music outlets gave it 'Very Good' (usually 4/5 or 4.5/5) reviews, which even shocked me.

I thought music critics would rip it to shreds for not being the real GN'R, even if it did sell well.

I thought that was a definite. I was stunned when it was as well-reviewed as it was.

Of course then the response was "well they have to say that because they love Axl"

roll

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer