You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: That Metal Show, Trunk/GN'R Discussion

Axlin16 wrote:

Thanks SG...

"Clean vocals" = 2002

Always has

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Ali, that style for which he sings the song in 2011, is very similar to 2002..  Rasp was 2006.  Non rasp is 02 or certain songs on this tour.  Got it?

Good for both of you if you think that. I personally think that while the tone is similar to 2002 in terms of being clean, I think his voice sounds much stronger than it did in 2002. Regardless, that had nothing to do with the comment that he responded to and quoted. I clearly said "how he sounds now". Your interpretation is that is the same thing as how he sounded in 2002. That's not how I view and it's not what I said. I don't share your viewpoint, got that?

Ali

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Thanks SG...

"Clean vocals" = 2002

Always has

To you. News flash: not everyone views things like you. Not sharing your interpretation or view of things doesn't make you right and others wrong. Nor does not sharing your definition of certain terms, e.g."clean vocals", make you right and me wrong or in the position of "misspeaking".

Ali

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Sure it does. It immediately makes you wrong.

You're arguing a set definition that has existed for YEARS on these boards.

That's like me saying the definition of "Being Hurt" = "Pain", then you telling me -- that's your opinion.

Okay man, whatev... 14

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I didn't make this viewpoint up in my head. We've referred to that particular vocal tone of Axl's as "2002 Axl" since 2003. I didn't create it. That's what everyone and their mother from Evo to MyGNR to HTGTH to CD.com to Twitter to Facebook to MySpace to Google.com to Mars has called it for the last eight years.

Neither me or you have the power to change that definition. It's a done deal. You might think 2011 is unique because LALD & YCBM have been 2002 Axl w/ extra power, but either way people see THIS as 2002 Axl. Period.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Deffo.

His voice in 2002 mode is clean, but just weak. It's a sad condition for him.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Damn, he actually sounds better in that 2002 clip of YCBM vs. the 2011 clip of it.  Nice finds Axlin and Apex.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

I think YCBM just kicks his ass, so that's where he intentionally backs off. He mentioned that song specifically in the Trunk interview as an example of "shit, now I need to sing this live?!"

It probably should be removed for a bit, but it's tough, being such a big song of theirs. It's definitely up there in the "staple" category, where casuals expect it to be played.

It's also got to be even tougher now that he's got other vocally tough songs that he's rotating in. Shackler's, potentially Scraped (listed as an alt right?), Paradise City- any one of them could kick his ass on a given night. The man creates awesome music, but it's hard on him vocally.  He'll tighten up as the tour moves on- he already has. At this point, any non-rasp versions of songs are probably being done on purpose, not because he can't do it on a given night, but because he may not be able to do repeatedly, night after night, along with the already mentioned CD songs that are also tough to perform.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I didn't make this viewpoint up in my head. We've referred to that particular vocal tone of Axl's as "2002 Axl" since 2003. I didn't create it. That's what everyone and their mother from Evo to MyGNR to HTGTH to CD.com to Twitter to Facebook to MySpace to Google.com to Mars has called it for the last eight years.

Neither me or you have the power to change that definition. It's a done deal. You might think 2011 is unique because LALD & YCBM have been 2002 Axl w/ extra power, but either way people see THIS as 2002 Axl. Period.

Holy shit, Mickey Mouse! 16

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Here's something a bit more recent.

Recommended for the up, close & personal angle already.

Board footer