You are not logged in. Please register or login.

KIKO2K
 Rep: 5 

Re: That Metal Show, Trunk/GN'R Discussion

KIKO2K wrote:
russtcb wrote:
KIKO2K wrote:

DJ did nothing for me and my friends at Rio twice!
The worst in that interview is bumblefoot and the fart totaly retard.

I get what you're saying about Ron's interview but I don't get your DJ comment at all.

I mean that i saw DJ live twice, and he was nothing special.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

DJ is not the greatest technical guitarist to ever live. But he's an incredible performer/showman. He gives his all to the fans.

The bottom line is Slash was the whole package. He just was. The man could do almost all of it, yet still be a total showman. And because of that he'll always been missed from the band. Always.

But since his departure, we've had different packages of guitarists, and just haven't quite gotten it all back since Slash. Just is the way it s.

Robin = the hipster of the bunch, love him or hate him, the most "unique" guitarist in the band's history, a study of the industrial-period of rock music

Buckethead = feel is dead on, tone is dead on, technical ability is dead on, but the package is too late night TV, MST3K

Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal = showmanship & technical ability are dead on, but the slower stuff and feel can be a bit off and self-contained to his personal style

Paul "Huge" Tobias = didn't hear enough

Richard Fortus = still very well might be the "secret weapon". How would we know? The showmanship is there, interacts with the audience alot more like Gilby than Izzy, but technical ability surpasses them. Seems to be primarily the "riff" guy in the band.

All of this is just my personal opinion on years of seeing these guys live in-person or on the internet. Had Slash never been in GN'R, none of us would be talking about this. But in hind sight, he really was the "whole package".

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

Robin's still (and probably always will be) my favorite GN'R axeman, post-Slash. I loved the Robin/Bucket combo for what it was, even if guys like Dj and Bumble are a better match to the old band visually.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

"It's 05:30 am on Sunday, October 30, 2011 and I'm sitting in a locker room in Miami, Florida, generally reserved for the Miami Heat NBA basketball team. I'm almost 24 hours without sleep when I am awakened from my semi-stupor by the sound of the producer of VH1 telling me, 'He's coming! He's coming! '
A minute later, I am face to face with one of the more reclusive rock stars of all time: W. Axl Rose. How did that happen?

I have an interesting story when it comes to Axl Rose. One of the first leaks of Chinese Democracy Guns N 'Roses came on my radio show in 2005 when the star of "American" baseball fanatic and Guns, Mike Piazza played the track' IRS 'in my program. That night we were not sure if we had passed was not even legitimate. Until the day after a warrant had been issued and delivered to me.

A year later, I was presenting the same program in New York City and was in the studio full of guests, including Sebastian Bach. Throughout the evening, Sebastian began receiving text messages from Axl Rose. By that time 13 years had passed since the last time the two had spoken, then the excitement was genuine Bach. One thing led to another and Axl joined us in the studio and ran until about 03:30 am. That night was news around the world and ended up being the last interview with Axl Rose for a long time.

Going back to October of that year, I get a call from the chief of VH1's musical talent, Rick Krim, who explains that the new owner of Rose, Peter Kats, had come in contact to see if we could help promote the shows of Guns N 'Roses in the U.S. in November and December. Rick offered them a segment with an interview with Axl, and told me that if it did, it would be in the style 'face-to-face' in the spirit of 'That Metal Show' in front of an audience with my collaborators comedians, Jim Florentine and Don Jamieson. I was not optimistic that actually happen.

Still, the talks continued between Kats and Krim. I was quite shocked when I was informed that tickets for Miami were being booked.

Guns N 'Roses began his tour in Orlando on October 28. We were scheduled to - if everything worked - talk to Axl at American Airlines Arena the next night. Our scenario was built on one of the team's locker room and it was around 8 pm I saw Axl enter the building and he waved briefly as he walked to his dressing room. I was encouraged by the fact that he was in the room early, by his standards. Maybe this stuff rolled off at 08:30, we would watch the Guns at about 109 hours, then it was back to the hotel. Yeah, right.

The new hours have proved a daunting process, filled with conflicting information. At one point, we were told that Axl would come to us before going on stage.

At midnight, the lights of the arena went out and took the stage with Guns "track" Chinese Democracy. In my mind, there was no chance that Axl leave the stage at 3 am and wanted to sit down for a television interview. I was ready to return to my hotel after a few songs, but my producer, Jeff Baumgardner, the bone would not let go. Kats had told him that Axl most likely to join us after the show. And Axl's closest aide, a woman named Beta Lebeis, told me during the show that she would help bring Axl to see me.

At 3 am, the last notes of 'Paradise City' rang from the stage, and the next phase of our waiting game began. Some of the band members and crew began to tell us that he was not aware of any interview and that very possibly he did it. But Kats insisted that Axl would come before leaving the house, then continue to wait.
The stage was dismantled and Sunday morning has dawned. But Axl was still as far as anyone knew, in her dressing room. Lebeis Fernando, son of Beta, and now 'tour manager' GN'R, Axl has assured us that was under way. We returned to our makeshift studio. Then, around 05:30 am, Axl arrived with Beta, and guitarist DJ Ashba Kats in tow.

After almost 15 hours in the arena, we had an interview with Axl Rose.

Axl seemed refreshed and ready to start, without showing any exhaustion by the time early / late. Ashba was the request of Axl. The only thing that was asked to address was NOT a reunion tour. After all, the interview was to help promote the current tour. All set, Axl himself during the interview, he mentioned many former members of GN'R.

We talked for about 90 minutes. He seemed to be on the defensive in the beginning. He knew me, but not Jim or Don, and on several occasions he said he was unaware that we were all waiting for dawn to do the interview. Once he got comfortable, he quickly became the same guy with whom I had talked five years ago, telling stories, laughing, sometimes disparaging and being a new guy. Once he got into the spirit of the thing, he seemed willing to continue as long as we wanted. We ended the interview because we were running out of tape after recording several people all day.

When the interview aired, one of the best and most flattering comments I heard were about how he had been nice to see Axl being a normal guy. This almost mythical aura that surrounds, not to mention the endless rumors and stories, all kind of faded away in 40 minutes he was on TV.

Much has been speculated about the time it took Axl to appear for the interview, and the idea that he made us wait on purpose. I do not really believe it was the case. We were without the promise of an interview, much less the time it would happen.

I can honestly say that Axl thought a good guy who really loves music and also has great faith in the band that he is leading. I'm happy by the time we had with him, and people can able to see a side of Axl Rose that many did not know he had. "

http://lokaos.net/es...evistar-o-homi/

Aussie

Aussie wrote:

So seems we had Katsis (old management) to thank for this interview. Interesting too that apparently Fernando is Tour Manager now.

Not surprised to hear Beta was also at that interview. I wonder if she sniffed the vibe again before Axl went in like the last Trunk interview.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I love that they ended because they'd used the tape up on other people...I'b bring like 1000 tapes if i was potentially interviewing Axl.

I do like eddie though he's a cool guy.

Aussie

Aussie wrote:

Yeah how stupid is that,not enough tape when Axl wants to keep on talking

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:

After the intitial "OMG-an-Axl-interview!"-factor had settled for me, I gotta agree with what several posters on here said. I find the whole interview a bit...I don't know...pussy!

There are several moments when it's pretty clear that Axl is willing to open up on various touchy subjects, and the hosts go all "jeez-Axl-you-fuckin-rock-dude!" on us!

Sad!

I'm glad it happened, but can't help to think about what it could and should have been like!

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Naltav wrote:

After the intitial "OMG-an-Axl-interview!"-factor had settled for me, I gotta agree with what several posters on here said. I find the whole interview a bit...I don't know...pussy!

There are several moments when it's pretty clear that Axl is willing to open up on various touchy subjects, and the hosts go all "jeez-Axl-you-fuckin-rock-dude!" on us!

Sad!

I'm glad it happened, but can't help to think about what it could and should have been like!

Yeah but I think that's more of a perspective of us GNR nerds.  I think for the common TMS viewer, the interview was pretty standard.  They could care less about the finer details.  Also, you have the timing factor.  With commercials, the behind the scenes, and live footage, you only have 30+ minutes or so for the interview, so it's kind of hard to get all in depth.  That's why his visit to Trunk's radio show was so much better.  More freedom, more room to breathe, more time to expand.  It would've been better if they took the FULL hour to interview Axl and cut out the other stuff, but it sounds like that was all done as a precaution because they didn't know for sure if they were even getting an interview and didn't want to come away empty handed.

Being a Howard Stern fan, I'd love for Axl to go on and get interviewed by Howard but that will never happen.  I'd settle for another appearance on Eddie's radio show, and he knows more than Stern about the musical side of things.  But again, unlikely.  Unless there's something to promote, and so far we got nothing.

Board footer