You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Re: Van Halen Discussion

Since nothing much is going on so far with the band besides a couple shows these next couple of days. I thought I'd liven things up by taking a trip back to more than a decade ago. I'm going to show some footage of various events that happened during the VH3 era and a cool song that was released back in 2004 with Sammy that I found quite catchy. Even though Mike got underused/screwed over some of this music and Ed took over bass/production. Both these time periods almost killed the band despite Gary doing the live shows very well and the 2004 tour and Best of Both Worlds greatest hits sold good numbers. I'm thankful for ADKoT and glad these problems haven't come up with the current lineup. smile Just more new music, videos, and content please down the road.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

Cherone got pulled into the impossible job, and handled himself awesomely. Dude's a champ.

Me_Wise_Magic

smoke wrote:

Cherone got pulled into the impossible job, and handled himself awesomely. Dude's a champ.

I agree. 9 The producer was the main problem with VH3. Didn't record Cherone's vocal abilities in the right light in my opinion. The mix of that album is awful even though there are some great songs and moments on it. Plus..Gary's stage presence and covering those songs were in tip top shape with the rest of the band.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:

I too wish they had given Cherone a second chance. We ended up with over a decade without a new full length album  from the band because they didn't. Blows.

This is my favorite new track from the Best of Both Worlds:

Love the lyrics. Nothing says love like a woman that feeds you.

This was actually my first VH album, I remember it came out around the same time as Contraband, and they were the only albums I would listen to for a long time.

And just because I love this scene:

Me_Wise_Magic

Yeah I love that scene as well. 16

Son of a Gun
 Rep: -3 

Son of a Gun wrote:

Van Halen needs Sammy and Mike back. Dave is just fucking pathetic now he`s stuck in the 80`s. He never was great live singer even in his youth but now he barely remembers words and crocks out songs. I prefer Dave era Van Halen but right mow, at this moment, Sammy is in better shape and can sing live. P.S. Van Halen III sucked.

Me_Wise_Magic

1097291_386902908078491_1034092206_o.jpg

Looks DLR may do another Japanese film. From Dave's teaser descrption it sounds like it's about horror, vampires, and crime.  Still want to see the other one he did a trailer for. Sounds like a hoot.

Also the Van Halen News Desk is going to start leaking Eddie's soundtrack to a movie from the early 80s called The Wild Life. Releases will happen on the site the next several weeks and post them on Youtube.  One of the songs Ripley that hasn't been fully released online yet was used as a backbone and idea for the ADKoT song, Blood & Fire. smile

http://www.vhnd.com/2013/08/02/eddie-va … unearthed/

Me_Wise_Magic

One of the best songs of the Sammy Era. Don't really like the Van Hagar term given. Sammy deserves to be as respected and associated with the band as much as Roth, the brothers and the rest.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:

Me_Wise_Magic

That was great. I got almost every song riff. But..the Ice Cream Man opening acoustic cord strumming was actually done by DIAMOND DAVE with Eddie coming in shortly in the background. Then the band kicks in full blast. wink

Board footer