You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Van Halen Discussion

faldor wrote:

New song from Dave. Not exactly my cup of tea, but some seem to dig it.

http://www.vhnd.com/2016/02/24/david-le … christmas/

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
faldor wrote:

New song from Dave. Not exactly my cup of tea, but some seem to dig it.

http://www.vhnd.com/2016/02/24/david-le … christmas/

Sounds like a hybrid of Johnny Cash and Kieth Richards there.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I'm on both sides, DLR era Van Halen was killer, but Van Hagar developed into a tight mature rock band too.

But yeah, Dave proved in the studio that he could still kick major ass, as A Different Kind of Truth was an amazing comeback album, but then live it seems like he's another planet compared to the rest of the band.

I'd love to see another album and hits tour with Sammy and the Van Halen guys, just to close their chapter nicely, the way that DLR kinda closed the chapter with ADKOT.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Eddie was kind of an ass to Michael and Sammy. I don't know if they would go back. Sammy is so wealthy he doesn't need the money.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I'm on both sides, DLR era Van Halen was killer, but Van Hagar developed into a tight mature rock band too.

But yeah, Dave proved in the studio that he could still kick major ass, as A Different Kind of Truth was an amazing comeback album, but then live it seems like he's another planet compared to the rest of the band.

I'd love to see another album and hits tour with Sammy and the Van Halen guys, just to close their chapter nicely, the way that DLR kinda closed the chapter with ADKOT.

I'd love to see a merger of eras, similar to what The Eagles did with Bernie Leadon being brought back into the fold, even though his replacement Joe Walsh was still in the band, and just have both of them there.

DLR + Sammy + the Van Halens = the future

Why not both? It ain't like they've got anything better to do (other than being rich). DLR can do JUST studio tracks, a couple of rocker singles, Sammy some other songs, let Eddie & Wolfie fuck off on some experimental shit, and call it an album.

When they tour, it's JUST Sammy live, and the occasional special guest appearence by Dave.

I know it seems like it would never ever happen, especially because of Sammy's closeness to Michael, but really in 2016 and going forward, it's the only way I see all sides being appeased.

I actually enjoyed DLR's "Ain't No Christmas", but beyond a studio setting -- he's finished. And the last I heard, he's trying to put a solo outfit together again, and go touring without VH. Problem is, the last time he did that, nobody gave a fuck and his shows barely sold.

Again, his only chance these days is cutting albums, and occasional guest spots with VH. The sooner he realizes that, the better off he's gonna be.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

I agree. But I cringe at the term, "Van Hagar". Sammy was in the band for a long time; so Van Halen is Van Halen whether it be Sammy or Dave on vocals. I dug Ain't No Christmas even though that song is a one time play for me. The weird thing is they still have demos from the ADKoT and other sessions that they can release with Wolf and DLR's friends at Henson Studios; but just won't for reasons whether it be egos with Eddie or Dave...or something else entirely. The secrecy keeps reaching GNR levels at this point with the vagueness leaving fans worried. I really want that John 5/DLR album to come out that RaZor and others mentioned. Heard about that awhile ago and sounds like a fun listen.

Also the fact that Wolfgang is about to release a solo album, tour for that, and possibly come back to tour some more with Tremonti means the guy is moving on to more realistic music projects if Van Halen can't make a proper decision. Good for him! I love Mike and want him to come back in some capacity; but if Eddie still has resentment, I don't see it happening. Wolfgang was also the one to mend fences and get Dave back in the band and even gave Eddie the reason to release music again. Alex is just going with the flow like always.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Dave backed off his comments about "Ain't No Christmas" not being about Van Halen and cryptically saying that maybe it is.

If Sammy comes back, I hope Mike does too. I don't think Sammy would do it without him. Then again, we know money talks. If Mike was allowed back in, could they go to a 5 piece with Wolfie on rhythm or would he just exit stage left?

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

faldor wrote:

Dave backed off his comments about "Ain't No Christmas" not being about Van Halen and cryptically saying that maybe it is.

If Sammy comes back, I hope Mike does too. I don't think Sammy would do it without him. Then again, we know money talks. If Mike was allowed back in, could they go to a 5 piece with Wolfie on rhythm or would he just exit stage left?

I'm sure Wolf would be involved in some capacity; but if he wanted to step aside to have Mike join full time I'm sure he wouldn't hold anything against them. Wolf plays multiple instruments and could easily help on guitar, switch to keyboards (like someone mentioned already) or something else entirely. He arranged the set lists for the 2007-2014 shows and even was the band leader for show rehearsals. Also organized and sifted through the demos of material while recording and writing his own material for the ADKoT sessions. That guy is going places and wants to make his own music away from the VH brand too. I respect that. Oh yeah I don't doubt for one second Sammy would go without Mike. Sammy got Mike back to working on new material when the VH brothers showed him so much disrespect.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Wolfie would probably write all bass material. I don't see Eddie letting Michael do anything, and if you believe Eddie, he always wrote that stuff anyways.

But with DLR ready to move on and having other stuff to do, Wolfie with Tremonti in the downtime from Alter Bridge & Creed... I don't know... the planets might align for a Van Hagar reunion.

It certainly would keep the lights on for the time being. It wouldn't last very long anyways. Sammy & Eddie can only handle so much of each other.

Board footer