You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: PJ20: The Official PEARL JAM Thread

Neemo wrote:

well i did buy Rearview mirror and was blown away by the song selection on that set...might be one of the best GH packages EVER! right thru so its not like i dont appreciate what they have done, but at the time in my life when those albums came out it wasnt somehting i was into...but unless its big hot sun (Big Fat Bum 16 ) or last kiss i dont mind me a bit of PJ and Vedder 22

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Yield (IMO) is a masterpiece and criminally under rated.

The day that album was released I bought it recorded it to cassette tape and put it in my walkman. Yes my Walkman 14   I worked at an oudoor hockey rink supervising and maintianing it. My best friend also worked there so we alternated days but I'd  be there even when I wasn't working so I was literally there everyday. So from February - end of April when the ice finally melted Yield was in my walkman and that's what I listened to nonstop for  3 months while playing hockey in the freezing cold. I love Yield.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Bono wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Off The Wall = 11

I've gotta dust off No Code

Off He Goes you mean?

Yeah. When I posted it, I was listening to it only, and sifting through that fatass "GN'R Hall of Fame" thread in another window.

I just dropped a line in here, didn't really pay that much attention. But I did get lost in the song.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Absolutely love Ten, Vs, and most of Vitalogy, aside from the really weird stuff on there. But they really started to lose me at No Code, which does have a few great songs, but the rest started to get a bit meh...

After that, I stopped buying their albums, because usually aside from whatever singles they released, the albums sounded quite bland. I also found that their more rocking tracks never matched the vibe or intensity of the rockers off the first two albums. Hard to explain, but it sounded like Eddie was trying to be full of angst, but he wasn't. And the guitars and drums (especially since losing Dave Abbruzzese), just sound uninspired.

Years later I bought their Greatest Hits double cd, and I came back around to how great they are, but that's because it's a collection of their strongest songs, leaving the weaker deep album cuts off from their later releases.

I still rate them overall pretty highly, and the Twenty documentary was really great, if only from the early footage alone. I've seen them several times live too, and they always put on a great show.

I'd just LOVE to hear something like Once, Even Flow, Animal, or Go, but it seems like the mellow tracks are their strongest these days.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I liked No Code, but I do agree that's when they started going downhill for me.  I stuck with them for their next 2 albums but I didn't find myself listening to them hardly at all, so I bailed.  I got back into them recently though after seeing them live for the first time and then bought their latest CD and saw them again.  All great stuff.

Backspacer had some heavier tunes on it that were pretty good. 

Since I attended this show

[youtube]s9ZPygnaQpI&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL25024A12F8A44E18[/youtube]

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Neemo wrote:

yeah laynes deteriorating health and subsequent death was more or less swept under the rug kinda sad really

but everything AIC was always kinda under the radar...try reading up on that band....the whole thing was pretty low key if you dig further than the actual album releases

in regards to PJ i bought the first 3 albums and Vitalogy was a real turn off...and every subsequent single released after that was not very pleasing to my ears...it wasnt until the self titled one that i really paid any attention again

I had an issue with it myself. I kept watching and waiting for Layne's death to be mentioned, but it never was... like always.

I've always wondered if the Seattle group always kinda kept to themselves about Layne, to spare his mother and family the gory details. Chris, Eddie, Jerry have all stayed very silent on the subject, seemingly out of respect, which is why I assumed it was omitted from the PJ20 doc.

Yet at the same time, it hurts telling the story of grunge.

Layne is the biggest and prime example of how that scene truely destroys people. To be at that emotional level, for an extended period of time, lost in your understanding of your own existance, and also a slave to hardcore drugs... allowed Layne to be the real deal. Grunge personafied.

It also killed him.

That story HAS to be told one day. Throw in Mike Starr's story too.

russtcb wrote:
Bono wrote:

Like Russ said though No Code and Yield are very underrated
Given to Fly from Yield
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9lqxKLP … re=related

Given To Fly was SUCH a super first single. I love these from Yield as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iREBWmDsM-g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THnabGK7mPs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq_de8k5gnA

Yield (IMO) is a masterpiece and criminally under rated.

Man No Way Out sounds like a Soundgarden/Audioslave tune. Even Vedder's vocals are Cornell-like.

As for the others, there were some that were decent, some average, and others not good.

Listening to those tunes, gives credit to what some of the others were saying about how they got more hit and miss as time went on and they became more eccentric.

There's times Eddie comes across as Peter Gabriel-like in his vocals, and approach to writing and sound.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

9 Backspacer album rules

Board footer