You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: PJ20: The Official PEARL JAM Thread

Axlin16 wrote:

I know we've got alot of Pearl Jam fans here, but I was stunned to not see an actual thread. So in honor of the 20th anniversary of the band, before 2011 is out, I figured i'd make this post.

Pearl Jam is one of those bands that for years I knew scattered songs, because I grew up with them, and I always liked the honesty that they brought, but when they (Eddie) seemed to turn on what made them successful by the late 90's, I kinda checked out, left disillusioned by the sudden death of grunge, and realizing that the Pearl Jam at the end of the 90's was a different band than from Ten, Layne was fucking dying in front of my eyes, Nirvana was already done, and Soundgarden ripped apart in GN'R fashion.

But Neemo (I think) said how he watched the PJ20 documentary, and said it was really good.

So I checked it out (streaming on Netflix now for those who are interested), and I was very melancholy watching. It was like taking a trip back through your childhood. Through the 1990s, and the tone of that decade.

It was a great documentary. I almost was disappointed that it wasn't more of an overall chronicle of that Seattle scene. Instead of focusing on solely Mother Love Bone & Pearl Jam, focusing on the entire Seattle scene as  a whole.

Anyways I heard so many flashback great songs that I got to digging back into their music again. And man... these guys... brought back alot of memories, and alot of surprises too. I'm gonna keep digging and give new chances to stuff I kinda ignored at first, or just glanced over.

This song immediately comes to mind. Kinda gets lost...

Fucking brilliance. Utter brilliance. I always think of Black, but this song, jesus christ... WOW.

A grunge epic, right up there with Rooster. 9

Any other great songs, albums, stuff you'd like to mention, recommendations... feel free.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

PJ20 the documentary was excellent and like you Axlin it was a massive nostalgia trip even though I wasn't a huge fan back in those days.

I was never a huge fan of Ten to be honest. It has some great songs but it was never one of my favorite PJ albums. No Code was my favorite fo so long but their latest release Backspacer to me has held up since it's been released and just may be my favorite. Pearj jam grew up and they were never gonna staya  "grunge" band and that was pretty eveident on Vs... going forward Pearl Jam in my mind has kinda strayed more towarda a rock/folk band.  Eddie Vedder in my mind is truely one fo the greatest vocalists of all time. He's got that salt of the earth tone that very few people have.

perhaps the greates one off performance ever on MTV's unplugged.
[youtube]NcsYc6sAmys&feature=related[/youtube]

My favorite Pearl Jam song off of No Code. An incredible performance
[youtube]wZAW4fr9d6M&feature=related[/youtube]

An amazing song to close out Backspacer

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Off The Wall = 11

I've gotta dust off No Code

Bono

Bono wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Off The Wall = 11

I've gotta dust off No Code

Off He Goes you mean?

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

My complaint about the PJ20 film was the complete lack of anything on Layne.  They of course had Cobain in there, but Layne wasn't even mentioned.

I mean Eddie wrote a song for Layne the day he found out about it.  And Layne's death was a huge loss to that entire era, and in my opinion a much more profound loss than Cobain.

Bono

Bono wrote:
Saikin wrote:

My complaint about the PJ20 film was the complete lack of anything on Layne.  They of course had Cobain in there, but Layne wasn't even mentioned.

I mean Eddie wrote a song for Layne the day he found out about it.  And Layne's death was a huge loss to that entire era, and in my opinion a much more profound loss than Cobain.

I'd disagree that Layne's death was much more profound to that era. his death came well after that era had ended.  Cobain's came at the height of it and all things considerd he was the poster child of the genre and era.  the innocense was lost when Coabin died and the genre itself kind faded out. When Layne died it was sad but really had no impact on the musical landscape.

But you're right it was odd to have no mention of Layne in there at all.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

yeah laynes deteriorating health and subsequent death was more or less swept under the rug kinda sad really

but everything AIC was always kinda under the radar...try reading up on that band....the whole thing was pretty low key if you dig further than the actual album releases

in regards to PJ i bought the first 3 albums and Vitalogy was a real turn off...and every subsequent single released after that was not very pleasing to my ears...it wasnt until the self titled one that i really paid any attention again

Bono

Bono wrote:

Oh man Vitalogy was great. Nothingman, Betterman, Corduroy, Immortality

here's Corduroy at MSG

I feel they continued to excell right up to Yield and then took a  step back with Binural and Riot Act, although those albums still have a few gems on them.  they got their act back together witht eh self titled album and then Backspacer is just Pearl Jam at their best in my opinion.

Like Russ said though No Code and Yield are very underrated
Given to Fly from Yield
[youtube]T9lqxKLPMIU&feature=related[/youtube]

Board footer