You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: DUFF says he 'Was Reluctant At First' To Open For GN'R

metallex78 wrote:

Feel free to merge this with the other thread if you like, but it's interesting to hear his thoughts about the whole thing. I still find it weird...

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe … mID=167306

After weeks of speculation, it was confirmed a few days ago that ex-GUNS N' ROSES bassist Duff McKagan's band LOADED will open two shows for the latest version of GUNS on that band's current North American tour. LOADED will warm up for GUNS N' ROSES on December 16 at the Key Arena in Seattle and December 17 at Pacific Coliseum in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

In the latest installment of his column, which appears on Reverb at SeattleWeekly.com, McKagan stated about the prospect of opening for his old band, "I was somehow reluctant at first to do this. I love that dude [referring to GUNS N' ROSES lead singer, and sole remaining original member, Axl Rose], but wanted to sort of stay out of the fray, especially after that whirlwind tour of the world we had just done. AND that damn book tour.

"But this fray is only a fray if I let it be. And now I am actually pretty excited to see my old pal. His band is the nicest bunch of fellas, and I will be home after all. The KeyArena will be rocking tomorrow night . . . and I hope you all show up.

"After all, it is just some dudes doing what they know how to do best: connect with the audience, that fan-ship that has honored us with their presence for so damn long. And THAT, my friends . . . is overwhelming."

McKagan made worldwide headlines in October 2010 when he joined GUNS onstage for four songs at a concert in London, England, marking the first time he had set foot on a stage with GUNS N' ROSES in 17 years.

GUNS N' ROSES will be inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame next April in Cleveland, prompting speculation about whether the event could lead to a reunion of the band's original lineup.

McKagan admitted last month in an interview that he had a hard time imaging such a possibility, saying, "I can't. I can't picture it. Your guess is as good as mine. There is no picture."

In his latest SeattleWeekly.com column, McKagan addressed the upcoming induction, writing, "Music to me has never been a competitive sport. We do what we do, and if you connect with an audience and write the songs that feel good to you in the process, that is reward enough. Getting a Grammy or an American Music Award seems a little bit weird in this whole context. I mean, are you BETTER than all those other bands? No. You are just doing YOUR thing, and they theirs. It's not a competition.

"But it became very apparent to me that fans of GN'R felt very motivated for our band to 'get into the Hall.' All of those fans ARE very important to me, and thus getting this Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame nod was a victory for them. And so I am deeply honored and feel very good about this whole deal. Thank you all.

"I spent a lot of time revisiting my past in the book I just wrote. Living in the past, or just revisiting it, is something I hadn't done until I was in the process of writing that book. The process became personally poignant in how much I appreciated and loved most of the characters in my past, especially the guys in that little band from Hollywood that we formed just after I moved there in 1984.

"I've done my best to avoid doing any interviews that pertain to our induction, and maybe this column will serve as all I really need to say for now. I am a grown-up now, and hope that we can achieve some grace and class when that ceremony comes. But in the end, I am only responsible for myself."

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Duff sure didn't bridge the anger between Axl and Slash as many suggested.  He opened for a guy that again just the other day, took another opportunity to marginalize Slash's role in Guns N Roses.  Its one thing if Axl commented on Slash's personality, but to downplay this actual musical contribution pisses me off.  Duff seems fine supporting guys that do that to his best friend I guess.  Just perplexes me.  If I am Duff, I have a word with Axl, if Axl gets pissed for saying "lay off Slash" or whatever, I would tell Axl to fuck off.  Its just getting old and uncalled for.  Slash's hasn't said anything bad about Axl in a long time.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i'm not sure really how much axl diminished slashs role in GnR...was just claiming that hte "main" songwriting tandem was Himself and Izzy....but what constitutes song writing? some chords on guitar or piano? a snippett of lyrics?

later on in the interview he went on to say that Izzy wouldnt even be integral to a "Reunion" as most people viewed Slash, Duff and himself as the main core of the band (with no direspect to steve and izzy)

if anything its kinda cool to see axl openign up about all this shit that he has remained silent on for so long

and lets not even metniong that Duff i beleive accused axl of never being present for most of the song writing portion of GnR a while ago...and duff then came out and said words were put into his mouth about that

its jsut everyone is out for something and unless its heard directly for the proverbial horses mouth one cant really rely on what you have read

as someone once sang, "we judge a book by its cover and read what we want between selected lines"

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I kinda get what piss Slash fans off about Axl's comments...

But at the same time I believe what Axl's trying to say too.

Axl's actually trying to give credit to Izzy & Duff, something alot of people don't do, especially Slash and his fanboys.

Slash in reality probably does get a bit too much credit for those songs.

I can't tell you how many people still come out to me to this day and tell me "I just LOVE Slash's guitar playing Patience; that's my favorite thing he ever did"

Umm... that's Duff playing. 16

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Ummm, no it's not Axlin88. Duff does play some though, yes.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

slash does main guitar lead

izzy does secondary lead and duff does pure rhythm guitar

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Slash can't get enough credit for the stuff he did on NR, Estranged, Coma, Jungle, PC, OIAM etc etc etc. Just like Axl can't get enough credit for his amazing vocals. YES Duff and Izzy were intergral and very important but the "dynamic duo" is what gave Gn'R that "IT" factor. Not one of them on their own did that, Nor would they have. 

I know we all buy into this idea that Izzy was the glue that held it all together but I'm starting to lessen my stance on that. Yes it fell apart after he left but he probably saw it as a sinking ship anyways and whether he stayed or not I don't think the story has a different outcome. Izzy wasn't gonna keep this thing together. Not though mediation or songwriting. That's my opinion. it was going down with or without him and he just bailed while a life raft was still available.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Neemo wrote:

Then why did Duff run around saying he wrote the song?

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Neemo wrote:

Then why did Duff run around saying he wrote the song?

Funny thing is that Izzy wrote Patience, at least the chord progression. Slash did the fine stuff and the great solo, Duff only played chords. I don't remember him saying that he wrote Patience though.

I don't even remember Duff denying his 'Axl didn't write anything' comment. But I do remember that when this was brought up a few weeks later he said something cynical that 'well, I really like My World'. None of the other guys went this far in minimizing Axl's (great) contribution, yet Axl is friends with him again. Izzy also said nasty things, like Axl was Hitler himself, yet Axl can forgive that. Maybe Slash stole his Playstation.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I think the bottom line is Axl & Slash are both 'alphas'.

And so they're gonna dogfight for territory whenever they're in a room.

Izzy & Duff are obviously passive.

Board footer