You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Libertad vs. Chinese Democracy, Round V

AtariLegend wrote:

Vote off your least favorite, voting finishes in 3 days.

Track 14 vs. Track 14.

Please note Gravedancer is not counted as part of this, just the hidden track.

Results:

Track 1
Let It Roll - 13
Chinese Democracy - 1 SURVIVOR

Track 4
She Builds Quick Machines - 10
Street Of Dreams - 4 SURVIVOR

Track 9
Just Sixteen - 7 SURVIVOR
Riad N' The Bedouins - 9

Track 11
For a Brother - 8
I.R.S. - 4 SURVIVOR

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Don't drop that dime is a fun track but it's basically a filler comedy track while prostitute is a serious piece.

Prostitute is to me the only song on CD that still feels unfinished. I think it needed some kind of epic guitar solo or something in the middle...but maybe that's just me.

Anyways, despite that, the ending synth is gold, and I couldn't put a comedy song above it.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I really dig "Don't Drop That Dime", but as monkey stated, it's kind of hard to compare it to a "serious" piece of music.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I think this round is a bit of an unfair battle. A hidden track versus, an actual proper album closer.

You should've put Prostitute up against Messages or Gas & a Dollar Laugh if you were trying to match track numbers

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

The start of Prostitute reminds me of Bon Jovi's Misunderstood too. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing though...:laugh:

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Don't Drop that Dime is fun but whatever I'm voting it off cause it's basicallya  joke songa nd it's not as good as Prostitute.

having said that i agree with Mnkey that prostitue seems horribly unfinished and yet I think it's top 3 on CD. But again the over production in Axl's voice has it coming off whiney and annoying at times and the drumming on it sucks. Sounds like a  cheap drum machine for the majority fo the song. The guitar contributiosn are.... basically complete throw away parts. This is the one song to me that sounds like it could've had massive potential but it's missing that "IT" factor. And without trying sounding like a  broken record it's serioulsy missing a Slash contribution to take what is a good song and make it amazing. Oh well.

Prostitute sums up the entire album. A song with great parts overshadowed by a  mess of mediocrity. The whole album of CD has the sound of potential written all over it yet it never got there...

Anyways it wins this round.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Dime could have been on Lies, it's really vintage early GN'R. I always hated Prostitute, I think it's the weakest track on CD. Never understood the 'fire and ice' and 'big gun' comments . for me, it's the poor man's U2 B-side. Axl wrote great lyrics, and nothing more.

So goodbye Prostitute.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Don't Drop That Dime is really good actually and reminds me of an Izzy-solo track. I agree with Mikka that it could've been a GN'R track, but disagree with the Lies-comparison. Sounds more like a 93-jam song during the acoustic set during those shows.

Still very Guns. But because of it's jokey nature, I can't put it over Prostitute.

Prostitute is a very well put-together, amazing piece, that although not the strongest ballad on CD, has amazing piano work by Axl, an amazing orchestra by Paul Buckmaster & Marco Beltrami, and a legendary synth outro by Dizzy & Chris. It's all the more amazing to know it was written by Axl.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

prostitute is my favorite track on cd... i guess to each his own

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Nothing wrong with that, Tyler. I love Prostitute. I think its one of Axl's best moments.

But I've heard a remix of Prostitute, might have been Axlin's, where it starts out with the piano and synths. And another mix started out with just the opening guitar riff, and holy hell those were fantastic. There's some great string arrangements there also.

Kind of shows me that Prostitute wasn't mixed properly to take it to it's full potential. If it would have taken a less is more approach, with less guitar and drum loops, it would be one of my top 5 GN'R songs, possibly top 3. Right now it's in my top 10.

Board footer