You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Richard Fortus Interview with Maximum Ink

Axlin16 wrote:
faldor wrote:

I'm sorry, but I've heard the, "this band is dead in the water" argument a hundred times over.  I'm just not about to buy it NOW.  You can keep saying it and maybe eventually you'll be right, but until then, this band will continue doing what they've been doing.

If they do tour Europe AGAIN without new music, successfully.  I'm sure you'll come up with another, "it's now or never" theory for them.  I'll set my watch to it. 

If by chance, you are right, I'll be here to take the "I told you so's".

See here's a big problem with my perception versus everyone else's.

I don't see touring CD for the third time in the U.S. as "doing anything".

So in my eyes and i'm sure alot of the Europeans who DON'T show up for the shows for their 3rd CD tour, will feel the same exact way.

Mikkamakka wrote:
faldor wrote:

I'm sorry, but I've heard the, "this band is dead in the water" argument a hundred times over.  I'm just not about to buy it NOW.  You can keep saying it and maybe eventually you'll be right, but until then, this band will continue doing what they've been doing.

If they do tour Europe AGAIN without new music, successfully.  I'm sure you'll come up with another, "it's now or never" theory for them.  I'll set my watch to it. 

I agree. GN'R with whatever replacement line-up can always fill stadiums in SA, play full arenas in the Far East, headline festivals and play smaller arenas in Europe and play in half empty (half full) arenas in the US. So fianancially the money will be there.

I don't think that after all these years of inactivity and tribute tours any of the band members would bail, just because Axl wouldn't want to do anything in 2012. It's a good job for them: they don't need to do too much, play the usual songs with 3-4 additions every 3 years, that's it. I think Axl's start/stop/start/stop etc. recording process is more of a headache.
These guys earn a lot, and nobody would gurantee them a job with better conditions. Face it, they are not rock music's Lionel Messi and Xavi. If they can do something new, something artistically inspiring, the better. But they are quite comfortable with sitting at home, watching dvds and playing with minor side projects. They know it's Axl's band, he calls the shots, and they are fortunate and replecable employees. None of them would quit for artistic reasons. No. Way.

The thing is... they're not making any money. They can't even afford to tour the states, at least under their own production values.

The only reason GN'R are touring right now is because of Azoff paying for it.

Axl still has GN'R working with great production values (at least to my eyes), and 5,000 people in a 20,000 seat venue is not going to support that eventually.

There's gotta be a wall to that. They can only do that so many times and the money's gonna run out.

Is that the time to drop the album? Well see, what money can actually be made by the band on albums anymore?

They're blowing their load, and eventually their balls are gonna hurt. Just sayin'.

If Axl can go down to SA and perform a tour every year over and over and fucking over and still make money to replenish the bank account, then hey...

I'm wrong. I'm totally wrong and Axl's fine. He can milk SA forever and keep GN'R alive.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Axilin12 wrote:

So pretty much the "new band" fanbase here at Evo would totally erase Tommy Stinson, Richard Fortus, Ron Thal, Chris Pitman & Frank Ferrer tomorrow

Dude your posting to a community of people that accepted the loss of Steven Adler, that moved on and accepted the loss of one of the major songwriters Izzy, that did the unthinkable and stayed around after the loss of the fucking holy power of the GNR guitar assault Slash and Duff. We're folks who looked the other way when new faces like Gilby Clarke and Matt went the way of the dodo. We rolled eyes as Robin Fink headed off back to an active band, and Brain swapped to doing session drumming. Then you're chatting to people that accepted the loss of one of the most technically brilliant guitarists of all time Buckethead....are you seriously surprised that people now wouldn't wince at the idea of an all new GNR line up in 2015? Come on - you know as well as I do that to many any GNR line up that's not the originals is an abomination - why does it matter if it has 15 toes or 11 fingers or 2 noses...either way it's not normal and it's not classic GNR and people are either going to bail on that - or be like those of us that like it for what it is anyway and accept it - but once you accept it regardless you're in for life..and down for whatever.

I follow GNR because I think Axl is a creative genius. I think his voice is sublime. His emotional lyrics and ability to harness some kind of musical other  worldliness is nearly unparalleled. And his use of melodies is amazing and beautiful. I follow GNR for Axl.

That said...I love the current guys too. I think frank is a beast of a drummer. I think DJ writes killer riffs in Sixx Am, bumble blows my mind with his shred skills...I'd love for them to stay in GNR and I'll gleefully buy anything they release...

So i hope it doesn't happen..I hope they stay and release some albums...but if the worst came to the worst and they all quit...well I was still in interested in what Axl had to say musically when Izzy, Slash and Duff - the architects of the GNR sound (with Axl)  quit...so I don't think I'd be ending it all over the current line up giving up on him.

You're absolutely right. I realized that when I made that obviously emotional original post.

If the fanbase can accept Slash, Izzy, Duff & Steven leaving... they can accept any of the new band nobodies.

Sky Dog wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:
faldor wrote:

So in my eyes and i'm sure alot of the Europeans who DON'T show up for the shows for their 3rd CD tour, will feel the same exact way.

Mikkamakka wrote:
faldor wrote:

I agree. GN'R with whatever replacement line-up can always fill stadiums in SA, play full arenas in the Far East, headline festivals and play smaller arenas in Europe and play in half empty (half full) arenas in the US. So fianancially the money will be there.

I don't think that after all these years of inactivity and tribute tours any of the band members would bail, just because Axl wouldn't want to do anything in 2012. It's a good job for them: they don't need to do too much, play the usual songs with 3-4 additions every 3 years, that's it. I think Axl's start/stop/start/stop etc. recording process is more of a headache.
These guys earn a lot, and nobody would gurantee them a job with better conditions. Face it, they are not rock music's Lionel Messi and Xavi. If they can do something new, something artistically inspiring, the better. But they are quite comfortable with sitting at home, watching dvds and playing with minor side projects. They know it's Axl's band, he calls the shots, and they are fortunate and replecable employees. None of them would quit for artistic reasons. No. Way.

The thing is... they're not making any money. They can't even afford to tour the states, at least under their own production values.

Axl still has GN'R working with great production values (at least to my eyes), and 5,000 people in a 20,000 seat venue is not going to support that eventually.

There's gotta be a wall to that. They can only do that so many times and the money's gonna run out.

Is that the time to drop the album? Well see, what money can actually be made by the band on albums anymore?

They're blowing their load, and eventually their balls are gonna hurt. Just sayin'.

If Axl can go down to SA and perform a tour every year over and over and fucking over and still make money to replenish the bank account, then hey...

I'm wrong. I'm totally wrong and Axl's fine. He can milk SA forever and keep GN'R alive.

ummmm, Axl may not be making money, but the bandmembers and stage crew are...guaranteed. They are making good money. Axl....questionable, but he doesn't really need it.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

He lost me when he said Arcade Fire & Radiohead were the best living musicians of our time.

Your post made me not read the interview.  Plus, Fortus never has anything worthwhile to say (probably because he doesn't know anything).

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
madagas wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:
faldor wrote:

Mikkamakka wrote:

ummmm, Axl may not be making money, but the bandmembers and stage crew are...guaranteed. They are making good money. Axl....questionable, but he doesn't really need it.

I actually thought about that aspect of it when I went for my nightly walk.

Obviously everybody BUT Axl is getting fuckin' paid. Otherwise they wouldn't be there.

But the other thought is, could Axl ever be "in it for the art". Because at this point my guess is he makes more money of the back catalog.

BUT, I thought he licensed his share in the catalog for 20 years / $20 million back in 2006.

So I question what, if anything, Axl is making actual money on right now, unless he's got securities and private financial interests in other things, such as real estate, financing films, other music projects, etc.

Board footer