You are not logged in. Please register or login.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

Re: Ashba says there are Guns-dates booked for February!

DCK wrote:

Oh no, it didn't do it in the past and it won't in the future. It should have fallen apart in 2005 when I feel things were at the lowest of the low. That was a dark age. This is nothing and they can ride this tour for a year of silence. The hardcores are there, and the average concert goer will show up regardless next time too. All they want is SCOM and Jungle anyway.

But they need to write another album. Here's what they should do:

Make a new album with Ashba and Axl as the main song writers (a little Tommy too). Release a bonus album with the Chinese leftovers. It will please everyone left and right and we can all go home happy.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Or they should just create a big box set called The Chinese Democracy Archive, with all the demos and different versions of the songs on there. Put the fucking thing to bed, and make an album from the ground up with the new band.

DCK

DCK wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Or they should just create a big box set called The Chinese Democracy Archive, with all the demos and different versions of the songs on there. Put the fucking thing to bed, and make an album from the ground up with the new band.

Yes, but sometimes I am not sure; does Axl make music for himself, or for us?

Lomax wrote:

Agreed CK that would be perfect

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

What I am very interested to see is if this GNR go the way of VR..

Sophomore album slump..

With VR, one at least has the sophomore album to slump into.

Oh, and bet you ten to one, a sophomore 21st century Guns album would be a whole lot more relaxed effort than CD.

Thus likely being a superior album.

If only...

DCK wrote:

sometimes I am not sure; does Axl make music for himself, or for us?

He played bits of Prostitute on the 02/06 tours as a prelude to NRain, The General has been a long standing show intro, etc.

At times, I'd say he's struggling with the same idea, but there's a desire to make the music heard, eventually.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

elevendayempire wrote:

That's why I have been thinking they should do as well. I would buy that in a heart beat no matter the price! xD

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

What I am very interested to see is if this GNR go the way of VR..

Sophomore album slump..

Don't mean this to sound antagonistic towards the new band..but I don't really see it as a sophomore album because of the line up changes.

I mean this will be DJ's first album - and by all accounts he's going to be a strong force with the writing element..

Even bumble really only came in to add solos and work with existing structures - he didn't get a shot at going in from the ground up yet.

I guess the Robin/Bucket songs are sophomore..but even then it's more they're the other ideas from the same timeframe that didn't get around to being worked on yet.

To me it's a very different situation from a traditional classic slump. I mean that comes about because you get signed...professionally produce the album you've been working on in your bedroom for 10 years. Become famous. Tour the world. Get addicted to something due to the pressures of the tour. Get home all fucked up. Get locked in a room and told to write a new album within 3 weeks for the label to release. Which they then put out pretty much immediately after making sure it's nicely polished to label goals. So your usual 1st vs 2nd album situation is like "you're A game songs luxuriously crafted vs panic mode drug addled rush job". Not happening here.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

I would buy that as well.

BUT

If I were Axl i would consider it a waste.

I know not everyone here loves CD, but I do, and I think he worked those demos into a masterpiece of an album (yes, different from old GNR but still a grand piece of music), so if he has remaining tracks - why not do the same rather than just put them into obscurity as B sides.

I know with my own riffs and songs I don't write very often, so when I do write something good I'm keen to try and work it into something that's going to be special and not throw it away on a novelty thing.

So i mean - imagine if Axl had half finished stuff from UYI/AFD - like if he had the chorus of YCBM but no riff for it. Or like just parts of jungle but no bridge in the middle. Better to work that shit up and into full songs than release a box set of 1 minute instrumental ideas. Even though i'd be curious as hell and snap it up.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

IT ALREADY IS A WASTE

A complete waste

Axl's sitting on material recorded a DECADE ago.

Not calling you out Monkey, but I love these people that run around these boards talking like Axl's still holding his "big Gun" and still waiting to drop this amazing track on us, all completed.

Does anybody else other than me find it completely and utterly lame to even consider having Axl re-record another artist's material 10 years after that conceptualized it?

We don't need to go there AGAIN. Chinese was already so dated you could practically smell old shag carpet and mildew coming off the album.

The vault is gonna be even more old. I have NO PROBLEM with Axl releasing it in SOME FORM.

But rolling out a 2001 Bucket track, a 2005 Robin track, and a 1998 Pitman track in 2012 on a new album, is like... huh... to me. Axl stated that music is timeless -- yeah, fuckin' Chuck Berry. Not industrial rock and hip hop beats from the mid 90s!

My point is, if Axl didn't want them wasted, he should've pinched that turd back in 2004/05 during the dead era.

I don't mind a couple left overs from the vault making the new album, and maybe even the Izzy track, but they need to focus on THIS BAND making new music.

I don't see why Axl can't just drop the vault on us. The period is LONG GONE. Bucket has been gone for nearly 10 years at this point. Robin & Brain last performed with them in half that time. They ain't coming back. Surfing the vault and mining the best songs to re-record is fine (although not my personal choice), but the originals and/or cutting room floor stuff from those sessions needs to just be released and forget it. It's done.

DCK

DCK wrote:

The period is gone, but I want it because I find it interesting. Maybe more than a straigh out rock record.

Board footer