You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Duff: Quit Whining About SOPA and PIPA

RussTCB wrote:

removed

WARose
 Rep: 26 

WARose wrote:

i don`t agree with him. i think it`s a massive assault on the liberty of internet and to blame the demise of the music industry solely on the people, who download is bullshit. the record companies overdid it and weren`t open for new technologies.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

there is no doubt that we are never going back to the ninties but Duff has a point. Just cause you play a guitar and don't make a 'thing' it shouldn't leave you up for being fleeced.

The problem here is that people have hated the music business for years,  not the artist; so while they gleefully give the finger to the corporate big wig as they download at will, they forget that the little man is going to go down first.

I am happy to pay for material but I am also happy the days feeling fucked over by the label of my favourite artise are over too.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Agree completely with Duff. Just film piracy is costing a lot of good people a lot of money. If you're a screenwriter you're getting killed. Bullshit needs to stop.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

If you want a good opinion on piracy, read Butch Walkers book Drinking With Strangers. The guy got his head screwed on right

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Butch is a fave of mine. Amazing song writer and damn funny too

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

It's obvious that no one in here, including Duff has any clue what SOPA is all about.

Basically it would give copyright holders the right to censor, shut down, and blacklist any website that it deemed had "objectionable material" to their own interests, without due process.

Like all bills in congress guys, you have to read between the lies and bullshit to see things at their core and what they are actually saying.

SOPA is a MASSIVE assault on liberties. It has very little to do with actual piracy.

How would you like it if your website trashed Ticketmaster's business practices and it got shut down and blacklisted just for you speaking your mind on an American IP address?

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

The means to enforce IP online already exists. If you disagree with that assertion, check out megaupload. These bills are draconian overreaches, not reasonable mechanisms to enforce copyright.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

And as for Duff... business changes and adapts.

The music industry is not dead because of internet piracy stealing their shit. The music industry is dead because you guys were fucking cocky and didn't deal with the changing landscape quick enough.

So when music LOVERS were taking it in the ass for years paying $25 goddamn dollars a CD, where were YOU Duff? Where was OUR representative?

You know, I wonder if Duff supports the legalization of marijuana. The reason I ask is that the ONLY reason marijuana is illegal in the U.S. is because the government would never be able to regulate it to tax it and for business to make a profit on it. Why? Because anybody could fuckin' grow it, and just CIRCUMVENT big business.

Which is pretty much the music industry. So Duff basically, in theory, would support legalization and having government out of the people's lives, but supports government dictating and regulating the music industry.

You can't have it both ways.

I think the general public has PROVEN if the PRICE IS RIGHT, they will GLADLY pay money and buy their favorite artist's music, without stealing it.

The biggest people that steal from musicians, Duff and the little man, is the fuckin' fat cat industry people that every swinging dick has to get a cut of YOUR album sales. Not us, not you. Them.

Where's the fuckin' balls Duff?

When Axl wanted to stand up to the Azoff's of the world, where was the industry?

When Bruce wanted to stand up to the Azoff's of the world, where was the industry?

When Pearl Jam wanted to stand up to the Azoff's of the world, where was the industry?

That's right. Hiding like a bunch of fuckin' pussies.

You made your bed. All of you did. Your complacency and incompetence 'caused this just as much as any "pirate". The consumer felt ripped off for years and this was their revenge.

Board footer