You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Xbox720 to Block Used Game Playing?

RussTCB wrote:

removed

AtariLegend wrote:

Wouldn't be surprised if sales are a bit slower as opposed to the intended profit increase.

I prefer new copies, but me paying almost £50 something every week for a new game... Sometimes the £20 less option from the same store is preferable.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Wouldn't this completely destroy the rental market (Redbox, Gamefly)?

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

The backlash would be epic. But, if this is true, it could be setting up a compromise between places like Gamestop and gaming companies, where royalties would have to be paid.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

I'll wait for the PS4. 16

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

Rental is going to be dead on all the next consoles I reckon. We can already see the big companies like EA and Ubisoft using those stupid online passes that are tied to only one console, so if a mate borrows your game the online won't work for him. This is where all the developers are heading I'm afraid.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

They could easily make rental copies for places like gamefly, like how movie studios do with their "rental" DVD's.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

Rental is going to be dead on all the next consoles I reckon. We can already see the big companies like EA and Ubisoft using those stupid online passes that are tied to only one console, so if a mate borrows your game the online won't work for him. This is where all the developers are heading I'm afraid.

Or he could pay like 5 Dollars/Pounds (whatever it ends up being) to play online... the online pass don't tie the discs to one console, they just give you access, that's why it's called a pass. Each game comes with one, and if you need more need pay.

Anyway on the subject of tieing discs to consoles and basically blocking used games... that's really stupid. It makes the console an instant no-buy for me.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

1. Wasn't impressed when I downloaded sony games, my console died, sony's network got hacked, and now I have to re-buy them as they won't let me into my old sony account. Grr..makes me want a good old fashioned disc to put in the machine.

2. Used goods has always been a problem to artists. What's that Ac/Dc song is it "Long way to the top" with the "getting sold, second hand, that's how it goes playing in a band". But realistically it's corporations who make these games and they can afford it.

3. This is the sort of thing that made me always hesitant about Microsoft getting into gaming when they launched X box. Their entire PC history is about stuff that's great for them but expensive and inconvenient for the consumer taking off while they borrow ideas and stifle competition in every possible way.

Board footer