You are not logged in. Please register or login.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

Re: Hall Of Fame Conspiracy Theory

smoke wrote:

There is certainly a thing as too much rasp for sure. In my brain, I picture gears just shredding themselves apart.  He was abusing the crap out of his voice back then. You can hear his voice clear for a few seconds, and then the tar oozes back in the way again. Big miss on the finish huh?

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

That clip makes me cringe. His voice is close to being shot to hell.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
misterID wrote:

He sounds light years better than this:

Everyone here knows that if Axl came out today singing like this, as frequently as he did back then, you guys would absolutely-fucking-crucify him on a daily basis.

But I am expecting some to try and say this sounds good. I'm sorry, he sounds horrible.

Axl is hit or miss live. Always was, always will be. He had some awful nights, mostly in 1991 - I guess it had a lot do to with the 2-years of no shows. Axl singin' miss a night or two (or five) isn't new. What is new, is today when he's hit, it's not the bull's eye, but somewhere in the outer range of the table. At least, he's still on the table, though.

You know, the difference between

Axl on a good night sometime 1985-1993
bulls-eye.jpg

and

Axl on a good night sometime in 2009-2011
kldartboard-6.jpg

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Seriously, that's not really true as the clip shows. His voice is halfways gone, it doesn't sound good.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Mikka you would be destroying Axl, picking his bones every day, if he came out and sang like he did in that clip today. And it wasn't just mainly in 1991. That's just not true. His voice was up and down during shows.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

That 1991 clip is probably why things as they are in 2012.

Two years of almost nightly shows, abusing your vocals, with incorrect technique and I'd guess without exercises, back in the day. It has to do damage.

In a perfect world I'd like a middle ground. I mean 1991 level rasp is clearly just ripping out parts of his throat in front of you, but at the same time, some of the 2012 cleanness seems out of place in a couple of the heavier moments in the songs.

I think 2006 and 2009 seemed to be good mid points. He was obviously more careful about his voice in the way he sang some songs, but there was still a shit load of rasp and screaming power on stuff like nighttrain and twat and the jungle opening.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

^^ I've always thought the high voice was his safe zone when something is wrong, sick or he gets tired/winded.

Sky Dog wrote:

the whole youtube 91 video sounds weak as hell....guitars sound shitty too.

However, I was actually there and it rocked.

I don't think this internet shit does any justice too anything. You can't feel the energy in the crowd or band. Meh....fuck this modern stuff. I am staying old school.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I know what you mean...GNR in 1993 was way better live than it seems on the video...you just don't get the atmosphere.

One of the the things that's not mentioned much to me is the sense of charisma that I think GNR had.

I even noticed it on a VR video the other day, something about putting Slash, and Duff (and to a lesser extent with Matt) on the same stage. Even though VR is far from their best work...you have that sense of anticipation when they come out. It's like the weapon is locked and loaded or some shit.I noticed when I got close to slash at MTV too. He's got a born to be famous aura around him.  Izzy also had a cool vibe about him. Then you add that to the obvious lead singer mojo that Axl has going on....and the combination of charisma was jaw dropping in my opinion.

That's what these things never quite capture. Also the old recordings are somewhat hampered by the sound and visual quality of their era...but when you see those people in front of you...sorry for a fanboy comment but they're almost superhuman. I don't care how good a shredder my mate with a guitar is, there's just something about Slash. Same with singers. You might scream out any super high note you want...but Axl has that sense of danger about him.

To use the VR intro"The Hulk Couldn't Make it Tonight, but we have some comic book characters for you".

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
misterID wrote:

Mikka you would be destroying Axl, picking his bones every day, if he came out and sang like he did in that clip today. And it wasn't just mainly in 1991. That's just not true. His voice was up and down during shows.

I agree that Axl was thrashed in a few months of the UYI tour. But he did have the voice, just his throat was bleeding.
Today he doesn't try it that hard - he saves his voice, if you like, but I don't know he saves it for what, cause even CD has some awful moments vocal wise. Anyway, you will not find a clip when he sings like a dying crow. That's good. The problem is that he doesn't even have the voice he used to. It's thin, reverbed and layered, just to sound somehow acceptable. That's why he cannot come close to his former self. That's not something he's completely responsible - he had his part with the years of inactivity and decades of laziness, but singers lose their voice with the ages. That's a very precious instrument. But acting like he'd sing like in 1998 or 1992 is ridiculous fanboyism.

Board footer