You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: 20 Seconds of the new Slash Song "You're A Lie" from Apocalyptic Lov

Axlin16 wrote:
-D- wrote:

Right. i mean Tattoo isn't the best song on VH... Chinese Democracy isn't best song on CD.

True, but remember other than me and a couple others called "Tattoo" from the beginning as a huge return to vintage Van Halen.

Sometimes people initially react to a first single VERY harsly because they're expecting to have their teeth knocked in.

If Guns N' Roses had released Pretty Tied Up as the first single from the Illusions, people would've reacted "what in the fuck is this shit?"

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Agreed, instead they release YCBM and we thought we were about to get a metal album.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

What you thought you were getting was AFD II. YCBM was every bit the rocker that Jungle was.

Instead you discover it was an Appetite left over.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Slash still Relevant

http://www.therip.com/opinions/2012/03/ … -relevant/
Breanna Fields, Reporter
March 14, 2012

Slash’s new single, “You’re A Lie,” has set the standards high for his second solo album titled, “Apocalyptic Love” due to release on May 22.

His self-titled debut in 2011 was well-received by fans further confirming his relevance to the modern music scene.

As an Ex member of Guns N’ Roses, Slash demonstrated his phenomenal skill of taking rock music to the next level. His powerful riffs and solos added a raw and edgy flavor to the tracks off of Appetite for Destruction as well as Use Your Illusions I and II.

The original line up for Guns N’ Roses began to disintegrate in 1990 when drummer Steven Adler was fired due to drug related problems. Rhythm guitarist Izzy Stradlin left the group only a year later and Slash left to work on other projects by 1994.

At the time, most could testify to the fact that the band was bound to split at the seams. That was half of the appeal; the reckless sense that one could live life at a fast pace. Out of that came Adler’s slurred speech caused by a stroke and Slash’s pace maker installed at a relatively young age. There were very few members of the band (or those who were in the 80s music scene for that matter) who made it through that period unscathed.

The new Guns N’ Roses (a.k.a. Axl Rose and friends) is a cheap imitation of what was once considered to be one of the top rock outfits. After a legal battle, Rose was given the rights to the band name. The release of the album Chinese Democracy was met with harsh criticism and was quickly forgotten by fans. Rose’s unreliable reputation and petty stage antics have continued even after it contributed to the initial demise of the group.

After his departure, Slash worked on a number of projects including the formation of Slash’s Snakepit and later Velvet Revolver. Slash’s Snakepit appeared to be an outlet for re-discovering his sound by exploring the heavier side of rock ‘n’ roll. The formation of Velvet Revolver, fronted by Stone Temple Pilot’s Scott Weiland, proved to be a tremendous success until their disbandment in 2008 due to Weiland’s discontent and growing tension among its members.

In an effort to move forward, Slash enlisted Alter Bridge vocalist Myles Kennedy while he was working on his solo album in 2011. Kennedy recorded vocal tracks on two songs off of the album titled, “Back to Cali” and “Starlight.” Impressed with his versatile abilities as a vocalist, Slash set out on a world tour with Kennedy as the front man to support the album.

The Kennedy and Slash team proved to be an excellent way of getting his music back into the mainstream. It’s apparent that Slash’s reputation will not wilt or fade with the passing of time. To argue his relevance to modern music, one can simply look at the name value that he holds. Known as a one of the last living guitar legends, Slash is capable of reaching out to a younger crowd of aspiring musicians. His music and character is also featured on the popular video game Guitar Hero, attracting a broader fan base of music enthusiasts and gamers alike.

Collaborations have been a primary source of his success to stay relevant over the years. He has worked with artists spanning a number of genres including Fergie of the Black Eyed Peas and Andrew Stockdale of Wolfmother. He has made television appearances on programs like the Ellen DeGeneres show and dozens of others including the Super Bowl halftime show.

With a new album on the way and tour plans in the near future, people can expect to see a lot more of their favorite top hat-wearing guitar legend and his continually evolving musical talents.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Well, I posted it before reading... it's more of an Axl bash and Slash love fest than a review, although that was my intention. Feel free to delete it. Such a bad article though.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

No kidding! It's ok for Slash to be "setting high standards" and "moving forward" without being not-Axl. What a piece of crap.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

It's official:

I never thought i'd say this, but I like Myles with Slash more than I do Myles with Creed.

The more I dug into Alter Bridge's catalog the less and less I liked Myles voice. I think he actually sounds better with Slash, and that can be touch and go.

Mark Tremonti's guitar work is amazing in Alter Bridge (once again, where was that in Creed?), but Myles... man I tried, I just cant dig it.

As for Slash, honestly... I think Myles voice fits Slash's guitar better than Tremonti's.

*carry on*

Board footer